ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Help required from Tourist Visa to PIO!

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

disdil4u

Help required from Tourist Visa to PIO!

Post by disdil4u » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:21 pm

Hello All

I am looking for guidance for below situation.

Me and my wife currently holding Indian Passport and my son got British Passport. Yesterday my son got his Indian Tourist Visa from Edinburgh Consulate and today I have applied for PIO for my son @ Edinburgh Consulate which take around 8 weeks as processing time in Edinburgh is much much longer for anything compare to London and Birmingham (Surrender Certificate takes minimum 4 weeks and visa minimum 2 weeks).

Now because of an emergency back home, my wife and son travelling to India tomorrow and they might require to stay for long time which could be more then 6 months and I might be going at some time soon as well.

Question is as I can not extend tourist visa in India but if my son PIO application is approved within 8 weeks then can he stay in India for long time or he need to come to UK and then go back to India on PIO?

It would be really helpful if someone can provide some guidance or advise on this matter. I ask lady @ consulate but she told me this is a tricky situation and she don't know.

Your advise will be really helpful in this matter.

Thank You.

disdil4u

Re: Help required from Tourist Visa to PIO!

Post by disdil4u » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:25 pm

Can someone please provide guidance in this matter.

Thank You.
Last edited by disdil4u on Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

disdil4u

Post by disdil4u » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Hello Senior Members,

Can anyone please provide some input in this matter.
I have tried to find this information on internet but no luck.
I really need help in this matter.

Thank You.

manyaonisland
Member of Standing

Post by manyaonisland » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:36 am

have you considered the possibility of applying for PIO from India? in which case you 'might' have to withdraw application here or you have to explain the authorities the situation and ask them whether further processing can be completed from India as the little one had to make unplanned travel urgently.
Winning isn't everything, but wanting to win is.

disdil4u

Post by disdil4u » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:56 pm

Thank you for your reply.
My son is already in india on tourist visa with my wife.
And I have already applied for PIO @ edinburgh consulate but they can not advise me about what to do and told me that this is a tricky situation.
Because i have applied from here, PIO card will be issued in edinburgh which I will collect but the problem is can my son stay in india on PIO for long term or he need to travel back to uk and go back to india on PIO?

Thank You.
manyaonisland wrote:have you considered the possibility of applying for PIO from India? in which case you 'might' have to withdraw application here or you have to explain the authorities the situation and ask them whether further processing can be completed from India as the little one had to make unplanned travel urgently.

bansal82
Newly Registered

Post by bansal82 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:19 pm

You can collect PIO from Indian Embassy and post to your son in India. He can continue stay in India without coming back to just collect PIO. Situation is similar to when individual change the visa category which is essentially happen when individuals switch visa category

ami123
Newly Registered
India

Post by ami123 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:08 pm

bansal82 wrote:You can collect PIO from Indian Embassy and post to your son in India. He can continue stay in India without coming back to just collect PIO. Situation is similar to when individual change the visa category which is essentially happen when individuals switch visa category
I am in similar situation.
Family acquired british citizenship and now wife and son want to go to India for more than 6 months

1. all 3 of us go on Indian passport
2. wife and son will stay in India, I will bring son's and wife's indian and british passport back to london
3. Surrender all 3 Indian passpports
4. Apply for OCI
5. Send OCI card to them

questions:
1. Is is possible to surrender passport and obtain OCI from UK while they are in India.

2. My son got his British cit certificate dated 10th December, so if he gets oci after 10th march( grace period) what issues he may face while returning (immigration)

bansal82
Newly Registered

Post by bansal82 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm

1. Is is possible to surrender passport and obtain OCI from UK while they are in India.
-> Yes
2. My son got his British cit certificate dated 10th December, so if he gets oci after 10th march( grace period) what issues he may face while returning (immigration)
-> 3 month grace period is for travel, verified at the surrender of passport, they will charge penalty if immigration stamp is recorded on indian passport after you are naturalised as british national.
ami123 wrote:
bansal82 wrote:You can collect PIO from Indian Embassy and post to your son in India. He can continue stay in India without coming back to just collect PIO. Situation is similar to when individual change the visa category which is essentially happen when individuals switch visa category
I am in similar situation.
Family acquired british citizenship and now wife and son want to go to India for more than 6 months

2. wife and son will stay in India, I will bring son's and wife's indian and british passport back to london
4. Apply for OCI
5. Send OCI card to them

questions:

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:49 pm

ami123 wrote:
4. Apply for OCI
5. Send OCI card to them

questions:

Sending passport outside country of residence is illegal. The above situation will result getting visa in "absentia". Also surrendering the passport in UK will be problematic as there won't be any "exit" record for that passport in the system.
you have two options
1. surrender passport in the UK, apply for tourist visa and travel to India, and then apply for OCI in India
2. if you don't have time to surrender passport and get tourist visa, you can renounce citizenship in India and then apply for OCI - however, this second option would be much complicated and bureaucratic in India.
I personally would prefer option 1.

ami123
Newly Registered
India

Post by ami123 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:16 pm

ban.s wrote:
ami123 wrote:
4. Apply for OCI
5. Send OCI card to them

questions:

Sending passport outside country of residence is illegal. The above situation will result getting visa in "absentia". Also surrendering the passport in UK will be problematic as there won't be any "exit" record for that passport in the system.
you have two options
1. surrender passport in the UK, apply for tourist visa and travel to India, and then apply for OCI in India
2. if you don't have time to surrender passport and get tourist visa, you can renounce citizenship in India and then apply for OCI - however, this second option would be much complicated and bureaucratic in India.
I personally would prefer option 1.
thanks for the info very helpful.
myself and wife have not yet received British passport, hope we may receive next week.
And from there we do not have enough time to surrender passport and get visa etc.
Also the visa fees has gone up now 90GBP

I guess wife and son have to use India passport to go and comeback (i.e for more than 6 months)

once they are back in UK, pay penalty of 145gbp each
so 145-90=55 each is excessive amount, and not much fuss at immigration desk.

So in this procedure, while returning back they have to show Indian passport and ILR to Indian authorities.
And at heathrow airport they have to show British passport right?