ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Commuting from UK to job in Europe before naturalisation

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

severnaya
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Commuting from UK to job in Europe before naturalisation

Post by severnaya » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:36 pm

My wife just got her ILR approval today :D and we're waiting for the biometric ID!

Now the next question. She has lived here for 7 years and can apply for naturalisation as soon as the ID arrives. But she has been offered a very good job in Italy. If she takes it, she has to start work in 4 weeks. So she can submit her naturalisation form before she leaves, but by the time it gets processed, she won't be working in the UK anymore.

The job is a contract lasting 1 year, and my wife plans to work in the UK again afterwards. I am staying here, keeping my old job, and keeping our rented flat. At least in the first couple of months, all her salary will be paid in pounds directly to her UK bank account, and she will withdraw cash in Italy when she needs it.

Can she apply for naturalisation on the basis of remaining a UK resident, commuting to Italy each week and coming back here on weekends? She would rent a flat there too, but just as a place to sleep on weekdays. The salary is high enough to make that possible, but would it actually be accepted by the UKBA?

Will it make any difference that the job is with the United Nations, and she will have a "mission" visa for Italy?

rod_p

Re: Commuting from UK to job in Europe before naturalisation

Post by rod_p » Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:59 pm

severnaya wrote:...So she can submit her naturalisation form before she leaves...
That's all that matters - completion of qualifying period BEFORE submission ( along with remaining in the country for 5 days afterwards and being able to respond to requests for additional information within 3 weeks ).

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:18 am

I concur.

She can apply using NCS and then travel as she wishes. She is not required to work in the UK while waiting for the decision. She doesn't need to provide any information on her contract with the application.