ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Seriously stressed about Spouse Visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Seriously stressed about Spouse Visa

Post by marlasinger » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:37 pm

Hi all,

I've been reading some posts about Spouse Visas and they are making me seriously stressed. :(

I am here on a WHV, which is due to expire at the end of August 07.

Last week I received my COA, so my partner (who is a British Citizen) and I will be getting married within the next few weeks.

The problem we have is that my partner has not worked for 2 years (due to personal problems), though he is now looking for work. I have about £14,000 in savings which of course is all in my name. When I send in my Spouse Visa application, will they look at the fact that my partner has not had any income for the last 2 years and disregard my savings? Or is it OK that I have savings, and that will be enough to prove that we can support ourselves without relying on public funds? :? I am due to finish work next week, as I was only allowed to work for 1 year on my WHV, but I don't believe I will have any problems finding work once my Spouse Visa is approved.

Additionally, must I have at least 6 months left on my WHV to be able to apply for a Spouse Visa from within the UK?

Would it be recommended for us to apply through a solicitor/adviser, given our situation? :(

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,
marlasinger

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:53 pm

Do appreciate that it is "merely" necessary, to pass the financial test, to show that you will not need to claim certain Public Funds. The fact that you have savings, and can easily obtain employment once the spouse visa is granted (and will supply evidence about that), should cause that test to be passed with no problem.

The job you are just about to give up, can I ask, what sort of salary are you earning? And would that employer be interested in re-employing you when you have your spouse visa?
must I have at least 6 months left on my WHV to be able to apply for a Spouse Visa from within the UK?
No.
Would it be recommended for us to apply through a solicitor/adviser, given our situation?
You have, no doubt, downloaded the form FLR(M) and studied it? If so, what do you see as the problem areas? Indeed why do you see any problem areas?
John

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by marlasinger » Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:10 pm

Thanks for the quick response. :D

The salary I am on is £11/hour for a 37 hour week (net pay is £283 per week). My employer was definately interested in re-employing me, the only problem is that the company is in the process of being sold, and it wouldn't necessarily be up to him to make that decision. However, I will speak to him on Monday about it. If he says that they would definately consider re-employing me, would you suggest that I get a letter from the company stating that? If not, what other evidence could I provide that I wouldn't have problems obtaining employment?

The only problem area I saw was the "financial test"; if that isn't going to be a problem, then I don't think we will need an advisor/solicitor.

Thanks once again for your help. You've definately eased my mind. :)