ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British passport application: Grandparents' details needed?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

oye_rg

British passport application: Grandparents' details needed?

Post by oye_rg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:59 pm

Hi,

I went to the post office today to C&S my passport application but they showed me a guidance on the form saying "If your parents were born after 1/1/82 or WERE BORN ABROAD, you need to supply details of grandparents in a separate sheet. All 4 grandparents, wtf? Their date of birth, marriage date, place of birth?

My application is straightforward based on naturalisation cert.

Can anyone please let me know if these details are necessary? Any actual examples of successful applications without these details would be most helpful.

I'm in a bit of hurry because of holiday already booked so please if you can spare a minute.

Thanks a ton

oye_rg

Post by oye_rg » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:03 pm

constantine
Newly Registered

Post by constantine » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:55 pm

oye_rg wrote:Sorry guys got my answer, Q1 here:

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... 356#592356
Thank you for that I looked at the link and it was helpful I understand I don't need to fill in section 8 with my grandparents details, however I have so queries.

Do i fill in section 4 or not?
Do i need to send a copy of my birth certificate as the table of supporting documents is confusing Page 12-13 (guidance booklet)
In section 5 (cert of naturalisation) I can't find a box to write 'home office'?

Thank you

skymoon

Post by skymoon » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:07 pm

Yes fill in section 4.
No, birth certificate not required.
Just write the numerical digits in the box i.e 1234...

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:14 pm

constantine wrote:

Thank you for that I looked at the link and it was helpful I understand I don't need to fill in section 8 with my grandparents details, however I have so queries.

Do i need to send a copy of my birth certificate as the table of supporting documents is confusing Page 12-13 (guidance booklet)
In section 5 (cert of naturalisation) I can't find a box to write 'home office'?

Thank you
Section 5 - You will notice a box below 'place of issue'

oye_rg

Post by oye_rg » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:38 pm

vinitmanu wrote:
constantine wrote:

Thank you
Section 5 - You will notice a box below 'place of issue'
I wrote Hounslow as the place of issue of naturalisation cert as that is where i attended the ceremony. I don't think it matters but i think you should write your town/city as place of issue.

The certificate number is written on the certificate itself as "Certificate No"

constantine
Newly Registered

Post by constantine » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:54 am

thanks guys

JamesBrodie

Re: British passport application: Grandparents' details need

Post by JamesBrodie » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:29 am

The FAQ says..
Q1: Do I need to fill in the details about the grand parents? I don’t know their details

The section about the grandparents in not required if you obtained BC by naturalisation (see page 12 of the guidance notes). It is required if you have obtained it though your parents/grandparents. Some PO C&S might insist you fill in that section. In that case, if you don’t know, write “unknown”. Just remember what you put in as you might be asked at the identity interview about those details.
But the guidance notes that it refers to doesn't actually say that you don't need your grandparents details. It just says you don't need your grandparents' (or parents' for that matter) documents.
Naturalisation App: 25/3
Receipt by UKBA: 26/3
Email Ack/Fee taken: 13/4
Approval: 8/5 (Dated: 2/5)
Ceremony: 27/5

Passport App: 3/6 via PO
Receipt of App: 4/6
Interview Letter: 10/6
Return of Docs: 11/6
Interview: 15/6
Printed: 16/6
Arrived: 17/6

MSaxp

Post by MSaxp » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:18 pm

So what happened in the end? Did you submit it with the grandparents or without?

Where the applications successful?

fwd079
Diamond Member
United Kingdom

Post by fwd079 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:42 pm

MSaxp wrote:So what happened in the end? Did you submit it with the grandparents or without?

Where the applications successful?
I didnt know my grandparents' details, so I wrote in this pattern, about information asked:

GRANDFATHER PLACE OF BIRTH: UNKNOWN
GRANDMOTHER PLACE OF BIRTH: UNKNOWN

etc.

As this is not a requirement for Naturalised British Citizens, many Check & Send post offices do not know that. I was in a rush so did not quibble with them, asked for an A4 paper and wrote as I have written above. I got interviewed and got passport, all within two weeks.
Being British is a state of mind.
Want to maintain timeline of any thread? Click here and grab template.