ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Illegal immigrant/maternity hospital

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Illegal immigrant/maternity hospital

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:50 pm

A friend has asked me to pose a question here, as her English is not good.

She is an illegal immigrant (non-EU), expecting a child. She overstayed on a student visa.

She is afraid to go to an Irish maternity hospital to give birth to the child, as she has heard that illegal immigrants are reported to the police by hospitals? Is this true in the case of Ireland, or is it something that applies in some other country and she thinks it happens here also?

What are the risks if she goes to a maternity hospital for the birth of the child?

If the child's father is Irish, does that help her position?
BL

mahersab

Re: Illegal immigrant/maternity hospital

Post by mahersab » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:29 am

No its not ture , she can go any hospital,
Mahersab

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:52 am

I dont think the Hospital will be asking for her GNIB card or passport would they?
Last edited by IntegratedMigrant on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

Tandor

Post by Tandor » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:24 am

You don't need a medical card or medical insurance for Maternity, it's 100% free unless you want to pay, and the level of care is the same public or private.

We've just gone through the process but I don't recall being asked for anything like passports or GNIB card, though it's possible my wife had to provide and I just don't know about it.

iwonderwhy
Newly Registered

Post by iwonderwhy » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:47 pm

I gave birth last year, im illegal too. never asked about my status. from the gp, to the hospital, to Birth Registation, the application for my childrens passport. was never bothered by anybody.

Remember you dont have ILLEGAL written on your forehead. Good luck with the birth. Enjoy then stress later

khan24

Post by khan24 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:05 pm

She can go and register her self with the hospital,she needs to bring her pps,Good Luck to yr friend !

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:37 pm

Thanks to everyone who replied.

I will let her know that she can go to the maternity hospital. She has a GP already, so she is ok for GP care.
BL

desibuddy

Post by desibuddy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:22 pm

iwonderwhy wrote:I gave birth last year, im illegal too. never asked about my status. from the gp, to the hospital, to Birth Registation, the application for my childrens passport. was never bothered by anybody.

Remember you dont have ILLEGAL written on your forehead. Good luck with the birth. Enjoy then stress later

Did your baby got Irish passport? as per my knowledge if u apply for irish passport for the baby then u need to provide evidence of your valid immigration status and student visa/illegal status is not eligible for getting passport for your baby.

Don't boast about your illegal status. Hospitals and GP in ireland don't ask for any id becoz they do it in a good faith. UK is going to make health insurance mandatory for all immigrants. when irish govt will feel that their generosity has been exploited(it is) then they will bring such conditions here too. which will be a burden for all legal and illegal immigrants.

Well just an humble advice. please don't mind :-)

iwonderwhy
Newly Registered

Post by iwonderwhy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:35 pm

Its a lie (well at least in my case)

Got the form , the father (Irish) and I signed it (at the Garda Station) nothing was asked from me.
We submitted it via Post Office exactly 12 days got it.

iwonderwhy
Newly Registered

Post by iwonderwhy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:39 pm

desibuddy wrote:
iwonderwhy wrote:I gave birth last year, im illegal too. never asked about my status. from the gp, to the hospital, to Birth Registation, the application for my childrens passport. was never bothered by anybody.

Did your baby got Irish passport? as per my knowledge if u apply for irish passport for the baby then u need to provide evidence of your valid immigration status and student visa/illegal status is not eligible for getting passport for your baby.

Don't boast about your illegal status. Hospitals and GP in ireland don't ask for any id becoz they do it in a good faith. UK is going to make health insurance mandatory for all immigrants. when irish govt will feel that their generosity has been exploited(it is) then they will bring such conditions here too. which will be a burden for all legal and illegal immigrants.

For the record I am not boosting you idiot. I have been afraid of my status every single day. So here online its the only place i can talk about it freely.

Whats humble about your advice... you need not reply its a rhetorical question in case you dont know

desibuddy

Post by desibuddy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:59 pm

iwonderwhy wrote:
desibuddy wrote:

For the record I am not boosting you idiot. I have been afraid of my status every single day. So here online its the only place i can talk about it freely.

Whats humble about your advice... you need not reply its a rhetorical question in case you dont know
mind your language.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Members are reminded not to trade insults and not to judge others. No action is being taken on this occasion, but moderators may take action against posters without warning.

Play nice please.

ImmigrationLawyer
Member of Standing

Post by ImmigrationLawyer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:22 pm

If the father of your friend's baby is Irish, the child will have Irish citizenship from birth, no matter where he or she is born. So the Irish state will not be able to deport your friend (based on the child's rights) after the baby is born and she makes an application for permission to remain.
Before the birth of the baby, she is at risk if there is a Deportation Order in existence. If not, a process will have to be entered into, and if she can show she is pregnant expecting an Irish citizen child they should leave her alone. Soi she should have no great panic about being reported, unless there is a deportation order. If there is a deportation order, she should make an application to revoke it based on her changed circumstances, (pregnancy, family situation). She may then have some legal protection if steps are taken to deport her before the birth of the child. Hope this helps.

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Thanks for all the posts.
BL