ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation certificate - after getting British Passport

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PB

Naturalisation certificate - after getting British Passport

Post by PB » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:05 pm

Hi all,

I had applied for my naturalisation in Dec 2005 & British passport in Jan 2006. I have suddenly realised (yes, I know!), that I don't have my original certificate with me. I think we had to submit it with the passport application, but I am not sure if I got it back from the Passport office.

Should I be worried? Should I write to the Passport office to see if they would send it back. I don't think I have my Naturalisation number written down anywhere!

Please help!

Thanks,
PB

JAJ
Australia

Re: Naturalisation certificate - after getting British Passp

Post by JAJ » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:21 am

PB wrote:Hi all,

I had applied for my naturalisation in Dec 2005 & British passport in Jan 2006. I have suddenly realised (yes, I know!), that I don't have my original certificate with me. I think we had to submit it with the passport application, but I am not sure if I got it back from the Passport office.

Should I be worried? Should I write to the Passport office to see if they would send it back. I don't think I have my Naturalisation number written down anywhere!
The Passport Office should have sent it back. If you haven't got it them it may well be lost. In that case you must report it to the police, Passport Office and Home Office IND. Also ask the Home Office whether it's possible to get a replacement certificate, or at least a letter confirming your citizenship.

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am

If you have lost it, replacement is very difficult and probably lengthy. Make sure you don't lose your passport, even if expired, as it will be the only remaining proof of your claim to British citizenship.

For duplicates of your naturalisation certificate:

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/docume ... ec1prosec/

check under "certificates - copies"

For everyone else, make sure you never lose your Naturalisation Certificate as it's a major pain to replace it.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:00 pm

People lose valuable documents all the time and it's certainly not something unusual. From reading the rules regarding replacement of naturalisation certificates it seems that the Home Office will consider all reasonable requests for a replacement certificate especially if the Home Office itself has been responsible for losing it.

I'm guessing reasonable requests for replacements includes such things as having the certificate stolen out of your house in a burglary, or having your handbag stolen with the certificate inside it, etc. As long as you have reported it to the police and can show a police report I'm sure they'll issue a replacement without any problems.

It's also a good idea to make photocopies of all valuable immigration documents and keep them in a safe place. At the very least they can prove your bona fides to the authorities should you need to replace any lost documentation.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

PB

Post by PB » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:26 pm

Thanks for the replies! I searched all my documents and have now found my certificate. Will make a few copies and keep this one safe too.

Regards,
PB