ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can the dependant of tier 2 general migrant be single?

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Raoul
Newly Registered

can the dependant of tier 2 general migrant be single?

Post by Raoul » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:50 am

hello guys
just after a bit of advice. i have a girlfriend back home and i have been in touch with her over the last 9 months, i.e going there every 3 months for couple of weeks while on annual leave. basiclly i will get engaged to her when i go again in march and we decided on the wedding date in june. i managed to get a whole month off work in june so i can get married and bring her over, go on a honey moon and spend time with her before i am due to go back to work.

here is my dilemma. i satisfy all the requirement to apply for her visa as a dependant of a tier 2 migrant. the certificate of marriage wont be issued before the day we get married, i already asked my local church if they could issue it before so she can apply a month before we get married, to allow time for processing her application abroad, so she can join me in the uk once we get married and go on our honeymoney.

in the application form it asks about her maritial status, obviously at the moment she is not married, i would like to apply for her visa after the engagement so i can plan the wedding, book hotels and flights knowing that she will have a visa to join me and not wait to log an application and waste my whole 1 month of annual leave back home awaiting a decision. there is no option to tick that we are engaged and provide a letter from my local church to confirm that, we cant tick that she is married because she wont be the time we file the application.

so the question is can she tick SINGLE on the form even that we will be engaged? and how would british embassy in jordan look at her application if she does that?

my church offered to provide me with a letter stating the date we got engaged and the date we are due to get married. any information will be helpful
thanks

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:55 am

Of course your church won't issue your marriage certificate before you are actually married, i don't know why you think they would. The application will be refused if you apply before you are married. Being engaged is not sufficient. Would suggest you wait until after the marriage.

Bijoux24

Post by Bijoux24 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:48 pm

An engagement is not marriage and you would need to submit your original marriage certificate. I understand you want everything to be sorted withing your 4 weeks including going on honey moon Im afraid its highly unlikely. Depending on which country you are applying from it takes a few WORKING days to process (15 where Im from and thats 3 weeks). You can apply the very next day after your marriage so long as you have a marriage certificate .
You are always advised not to make any travel arrangements ( presuming you are going away for your honeymoon and expecting her to return with you ) till you have a deiciosn from UKBA.
I suggest you do not try and rush and cut corners as you will end up being refused. Your only other option is to opt for a small 'registry' ceremony in March after the engagement she can then start processing her documents as you will be legally married while planning the 'big' wedding in June. ( that is if this is acceptable for you and your families)

Please note you will also have to submit evidence to show your relationship is genuine and subsisting

Raoul
Newly Registered

Post by Raoul » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:04 pm

Greenie wrote:Of course your church won't issue your marriage certificate before you are actually married, i don't know why you think they would. The application will be refused if you apply before you are married. Being engaged is not sufficient. Would suggest you wait until after the marriage.
i wasn't expecting my priest to supply the marriage document in advance, i just thought i ask his opinion and i provided as much details as i can so you guys can help me decide the best possible solution. thanks

does anyone know why in the application form under marital status there is the option to tick single? assuming its a form to be filled in by a partner of a tier 2 migrant. thats why i was wondering if you are allowed to sponsor your fiancee and tick single and provide all the documents needed.
thanks
Last edited by Raoul on Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raoul
Newly Registered

Post by Raoul » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:07 pm

Bijoux24 wrote:An engagement is not marriage and you would need to submit your original marriage certificate. I understand you want everything to be sorted withing your 4 weeks including going on honey moon Im afraid its highly unlikely. Depending on which country you are applying from it takes a few WORKING days to process (15 where Im from and thats 3 weeks). You can apply the very next day after your marriage so long as you have a marriage certificate .
You are always advised not to make any travel arrangements ( presuming you are going away for your honeymoon and expecting her to return with you ) till you have a deiciosn from UKBA.
I suggest you do not try and rush and cut corners as you will end up being refused. Your only other option is to opt for a small 'registry' ceremony in March after the engagement she can then start processing her documents as you will be legally married while planning the 'big' wedding in June. ( that is if this is acceptable for you and your families)

Please note you will also have to submit evidence to show your relationship is genuine and subsisting
what is a small registry ceremony? the local government do not approve civil marriage back home so there is no way to go to the court and register as married as long as i am aware without obtaining a marriage certificate. i doubt that will be an option available for me when i go and get engaged in march.

Raoul
Newly Registered

Post by Raoul » Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:14 pm

how about if i get her a tourist visa for 3 months and she can join me once we are married and then re-apply for a spouse visa? will it be considered as 'deception'? she doesnt want us to get married then me leaving on my own while she is waiting for her visa for another month, plus i dont want that either plus i really want to feel like i am getting married and organise a proper honeymoon and spend sometime with her before i am due to go back to my job. i will be usuing all my annual leave for june's holiday and need to be able to book hotels and flights for honeymoon hence why i want a way to apply and get her visa sorted before i go again in june to get married. is anyone aware of any possible solutions?
thanks in advance

Bijoux24

Post by Bijoux24 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Raoul wrote:
Bijoux24 wrote:An engagement is not marriage and you would need to submit your original marriage certificate. I understand you want everything to be sorted withing your 4 weeks including going on honey moon Im afraid its highly unlikely. Depending on which country you are applying from it takes a few WORKING days to process (15 where Im from and thats 3 weeks). You can apply the very next day after your marriage so long as you have a marriage certificate .

what is a small registry ceremony? the local government do not approve civil marriage back home so there is no way to go to the court and register as married as long as i am aware without obtaining a marriage certificate. i doubt that will be an option available for me when i go and get engaged in march.
So Im guessing every 'back home' everyone gets married in a church?
Im not quite sure how applying for a visit visa so she return to the UK with you after the wedding is deception? Anyone can apply for a visit visa ( there are different categories) Bare in mind she can stay for a maximum of 6 months and will still have to return 'back home' to apply for entry clearance as a tier 2 dependant ; she cannot switch from a visitor visa to a dependant in the UK.
Wait and see if anyone else has any suggestions but as far as I know there is no provision for tier 2 migrant fiancee as dependant. But Im no expert ..
All the best!