ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Child Benefit disclousre in SET (O) form

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

abc111
BANNED

Child Benefit disclousre in SET (O) form

Post by abc111 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi,

I am going for ILR this June based on Tier 1 (G) and have a UK born kid for whom we receive child benefit of £80 approx/ month. I am wondering if I mention this in SET O form then will this cause any probs?!

We don't need this benefit.

Thanks.

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:12 pm

if you dont mention it could cause a problem...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience of dealing with UKBA. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

abc111
BANNED

Post by abc111 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:25 pm

uksettlement wrote:if you dont mention it could cause a problem...

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
Thanks.
No I will mention it but wondering will this be an issue?!

Thanks.

techie_09

Post by techie_09 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:30 pm

Yes, this can create problem for your ILR. Child benefits are "public funds" and if you are on Tier 1 or Tier 2 visa you were not suppose to claim it.

To avoid any issues you may want to voluntarily return money to govt and stopped claiming it until you are eligible.
Techie

abc111
BANNED

Post by abc111 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:36 pm

techie_09 wrote:Yes, this can create problem for your ILR. Child benefits are "public funds" and if you are on Tier 1 or Tier 2 visa you were not suppose to claim it.

To avoid any issues you may want to voluntarily return money to govt and stopped claiming it until you are eligible.
Thanks. I will return the money and stop receiving it.
Also WILL NOT mention in ILR form (once stopped and receiving it).

Is that OK.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:42 pm

What is your nationality? What is the exact question on the form?

abc111
BANNED

Post by abc111 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Greenie wrote:What is your nationality? What is the exact question on the form?
Current nationality Pakistani. Child was born in UK (Scotland, Aberdeen).

SET O question 5.5: "Are you receiving any public funds?"
A tick bos is provided for child benefit. We receive around £80 per month.

Another thing when I was filling out form for this form. I disclosed my immigration status as well as provided them with copies of my passport!!!

Thanks.

techie_09

Post by techie_09 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:33 pm

abc111 wrote:
techie_09 wrote:Yes, this can create problem for your ILR. Child benefits are "public funds" and if you are on Tier 1 or Tier 2 visa you were not suppose to claim it.

Is that OK.
Technically if you stop receiving it at time of application, there is no need to mention it.

5.5 Are you receiving any public funds?

If you want to disclose it, you can say you claimed it because of ignorance and voluntarily returned the claimed money along with supporting evidence.

You can also search the forum for similar experiences.
Techie

abc111
BANNED

Post by abc111 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:46 pm

techie_09 wrote:
abc111 wrote:

Is that OK.
Technically if you stop receiving it at time of application, there is no need to mention it.

5.5 Are you receiving any public funds?

If you want to disclose it, you can say you claimed it because of ignorance and voluntarily returned the claimed money along with supporting evidence.

You can also search the forum for similar experiences.
Thanks.

Just spoke to HMRC and they told me that they will investigate that and will write me about the outcome.

They also told that worst would happen that they will reclaim the money paid so far back!!