ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa query

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Strep
Newly Registered

Spouse visa query

Post by Strep » Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:06 pm

I have read through many of the posts looking for advice, but could not find anything relating to my query. I hope someone can help?
I plan to marry my partner in the next couple of months, going back to his country to marry, we will then apply for spouse visa...however, I'm aware you have to provide proof of relationship, I met my partner in UK when he had already overstayed on his Student visa (by 3 months). He has now overstayed 10mths. Therefore when we provide proof of relationship, we will be admitting to his overstay. Will this affect success of spouse visa. Can anyone advise how we should approach this. Thank you.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:56 pm

He has now overstayed 10mths. Therefore when we provide proof of relationship, we will be admitting to his overstay. Will this affect success of spouse visa
The answer is no. It won't effect your spouse visa application. But remember you must provide evidence of your relationship. Provide photos together(recent), emails exchanged, phone bills, mobile bills etc....
Always tell the truth. If you tried to hide anything or lie about anything, then say goodbye to your visa.

Goodluck.

Strep
Newly Registered

Spouse visa query

Post by Strep » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:54 pm

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Proving the relationship shouldn't to be too hard. We have photos, cards, phone bills (although he has a pay as you go) so not sure he can prove he's called/texted me (unless anyone knows way round this?).

Can anyone give advice on how we handle his overstay when we apply for the Visa. I'm not suggesting we hide the fact, as I've said to him that I do not want anything to jeopardise the visa being granted and as my mum always said honesty is best policy. But how we explain and give reasons as to why he overstayed.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:28 pm

But how we explain and give reasons as to why he overstayed
He can explain about everything in his covering letter to BHC when applying to for his spouse visa. Covering plays a vital role in a spouse visa application. He has to take time and write in detail about his past immigration history, about his future plans with you, his relationshoip with you etc..etc.. I think its the best way to express yourself to ECO.

Goodluck.

Strep
Newly Registered

Spouse visa query

Post by Strep » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:46 pm

Forgive my lack of knowledge - what does BHC and ECO mean?

Also - he has no specific reason for not returning home, therefore how can you appear apologetic and regret it happened, without a valid reason?

eliasuk4u
Member of Standing

Post by eliasuk4u » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:38 pm

Forgive my lack of knowledge - what does BHC and ECO mean?

Also - he has no specific reason for not returning home, therefore how can you appear apologetic and regret it happened, without a valid reason?
BHC - British High Commission
ECO - Entry clearance officer who will deal with your spouse visa application in British High Commission.

You don't have to give specific reason and you don't have to be apologetic. All you need to say is that you overstayed in UK. Possibiliy they will find out from your passport.

Goodluck

Strep
Newly Registered

Spouse visa query

Post by Strep » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:37 pm

Should he have to attend an interview, will they not ask why he overstayed? Should you not address it in covering letter?

BATS

Post by BATS » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:32 pm

We are applying for a fiance visa for my Albanian boyf, he was in the UK illegally and we mentioned it in the covering letter, but didn't go into detail about how he got here (he never had a visa). He has an interview in just over 2 weeks.

I asked some other people what happened in their partners/husbands interview and they were not asked any questions about previous immigration history and just asked questions about the relationship.

A few other people I have spoken to have said similiar. Obviously everyone is different so its impossible to say what will happen, but just answer the questions being asked and don't divulge info. you don't have to.

Strep
Newly Registered

Spouse visa query

Post by Strep » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:29 am

Thank u for yr reply. Re covering letter - can i write it for him, his written english is not that good. Or is it best it is written in his hand writing and i can help him in getting grammar right? Good luck with yr interview. Let me know how it goes, :-)

BATS

Post by BATS » Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:13 pm

Yes you can write the letter but he would need to sign it and possible have a paragraph before he signs it saying I (whatever the name is) confirm that everything in this statetment is correct to the best of my knowledge.

We had a solicitor do all our application for us! Although now I think I could have done it and I'd be £600 better off!! Plus I am still stressing as I have another week to go until my fiance has his interview!

Strep
Newly Registered

Spouse visa query

Post by Strep » Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:49 pm

Thank you so much for the reply - I had given up on anyone responding. I had made decision to write myself but you make very good point.

I hope all goes well in your fiance's interview - it's all so stressful, isn't it!! It surprises me why any applications are refused when you have sooooo many hoops to jump through, surely those that aren't genuine, wouldn't go through all this...or am I just naive :wink: