ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Brown's views on citizenship

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Siggi

Browns new idea

Post by Siggi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:31 pm

Will all migrants now be required to march off to fight in the UK two illegal wars toojavascript:emoticon(':evil:')

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:58 am

RobinLondon wrote: I have Entry Clearance/LTR based on UK Ancestry, so there's no restriction on any type of employment that I may take up. I'm still subject to immigration control, but don't need a work permit. I think the same could be said for HSMP holders. To be honest, I don't know how unbridled community altruism would be considered amongst holders of ordinary work permits.
Work permit holders do not have any guaranteed right to remain in the UK - unlike HSMP or Ancestry Visa, where the path to settlement is clearer. In that light, it's not all that reasonable to expect work permit holders to invest a great deal in a society that is basically for them, nothing more than a temporary place of residence.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:35 am

JAJ wrote:
RobinLondon wrote: I have Entry Clearance/LTR based on UK Ancestry, so there's no restriction on any type of employment that I may take up. I'm still subject to immigration control, but don't need a work permit. I think the same could be said for HSMP holders. To be honest, I don't know how unbridled community altruism would be considered amongst holders of ordinary work permits.
Work permit holders do not have any guaranteed right to remain in the UK - unlike HSMP or Ancestry Visa, where the path to settlement is clearer. In that light, it's not all that reasonable to expect work permit holders to invest a great deal in a society that is basically for them, nothing more than a temporary place of residence.
I think you could argue that until you become a naturalised citizen or you have the right of abode, nobody subject to immigration control (even ILR holders) has the absolute guaranteed right to remain in the UK. As soon as you leave the UK (on holiday for example) your reentry to the UK is subject to the agreement of an immigration officer.

I don't think a work permit holder has any less guaranteed right to remain in the UK than an HSMP or ancestry visa holder. A work permit holder may be subject to stricter conditions attached to their leave, but ultimately no leave to remain is guaranteed.

The path to settlement on a work permit is pretty clear: work for 5 years on a work permit and obtain ILR.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:45 am

I think you could argue that until you become a naturalised citizen or you have the right of abode, nobody subject to immigration control (even ILR holders) has the absolute guaranteed right to remain in the UK. As soon as you leave the UK (on holiday for example) your reentry to the UK is subject to the agreement of an immigration officer.

I don't think a work permit holder has any less guaranteed right to remain in the UK than an HSMP or ancestry visa holder. A work permit holder may be subject to stricter conditions attached to their leave, but ultimately no leave to remain is guaranteed.

The path to settlement on a work permit is pretty clear: work for 5 years on a work permit and obtain ILR.
The question is not really about right to remain but of intent. An application for ILR is a firm expression of intent to settle and live long term in the UK. A work permit is not.
A similar distinction applies in the US. A work permit ( like H-1B) is called a non-immigrant visa because its purpose is to allow entry into the country to perform a job. An immigrant visa ( green card) is a different, clear expression of intent to settle.
Employment ( whether through a work permit or not ) may help meet some of the residence requirements for success in a settlement application but so do a number of other routes. What is clear is that a work permit application on its own has no settlement intent. Whilst an individual may want to use it to establish residence in his eventual settlement application they are different things.