ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Uregnt .. PSNI clearance!!!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

destiniation_london

Uregnt .. PSNI clearance!!!

Post by destiniation_london » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:07 pm

i live in Belfast, as there is no NCS in Northern Ireland, I called up a council in London for appointment. To my surprise they straight away asked if I had my policy check done as CRB does not have access to PSNI database.

I was under the impression that it is totally upto HO to ask for the PSNI clearance. So does this mean I would have to submit PSNI clearance as [art of application.

Also, I was looking at the dat1 form for seeking PSNI clearance, it asks for 2 forms of identity which should show your name, date of birth and current adderss.

I just moved into this address in Belfast and I have no official document to show my current address proof. I do have passport to confirm my identity bu it has the address of my native country.

Could anyone who has done this before please confirm if passport would be enough to seek the clearance. Also, how long does it take and can I ask them to fast track the application.

Many thanks

goldridgeg

Post by goldridgeg » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:27 pm

when I sent my application from NI, HO sent a letter a month later asking for PSNI clearance, and I would suggest waiting for them (costs £10) - others here have been approved without PSNI clearance request

As for proof of identity, I sent a copy (they say copies are acceptable ) of my drivers licence and a copy of the letter from HO, which has my address on.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Did you take NCS appointment? Council is saying that they have been advised to ask for PSNI clearance from any candidates submitting from NI.

Do you know how long does it take to process?

I just have my passport to prove my identity.

HSBC bank tax certificate to prove my current address, as I just moved here couple of weeks back.

Would it be ok?

Also, do I just drop in at any police station in Belfast to submit the form and cash of £10.

Any help????

goldridgeg

Post by goldridgeg » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:53 pm

I didnt use NCS, filled in form myself and posted it off - it is really easy. Just think of the costs saved if you do it yourself. Then came for the request for clearance.

If you do need PSNI clearance, the HO will send you a letter to your address you are at now - there is your proof of address, as I used that and it was okay. Your copy of your passport is your proof of identity. As said before, you might not need clearance, some on here got their approval through without it.

rod_p

Post by rod_p » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:57 pm

I did the PSNI check beforehand. It didn't make sense to me to wait for my naturalisation app to work through the long process and then be delayed for another month ( including mail timing ) just over the PSNI check.

The check costs a tenner, took three weeks ( 2 weeks processing plus mail timing - I used 1st class to PSNI - saved about a week ) and UKBA readily accepted it.

Seems only about 25-30% of NI applicants actually get asked for it ( some even are asked a ILR - I was not ). However, better to think ahead as the wait for citizenship is long and stressful enough ( even though it's only about 4-8 weeks at the moment ).

What's a tenner when you've already spent 1000+ ? It ensures you won't need to wait 1 more very long month!

Even if you're app is already in progress it makes sense ( the UKBA ref number is the same as your application confirmation - just ask PSNI to use it and put it on the envelope when you forward the results to L'pool ).

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:52 pm

goldridgeg wrote:I didnt use NCS, filled in form myself and posted it off - it is really easy. Just think of the costs saved if you do it yourself. Then came for the request for clearance.

If you do need PSNI clearance, the HO will send you a letter to your address you are at now - there is your proof of address, as I used that and it was okay. Your copy of your passport is your proof of identity. As said before, you might not need clearance, some on here got their approval through without it.
Thanks for the response.I don't want to part from my passport hence wanted to use NCS.

I'm anyways going to apply for PSNI as it appears it's now a norm to ask for PSNI clearance from NI applicants if applying through NCS.

I'm just a little worried about my current address proof, I don't have any apart from HSBC issued tax certificate which was sent on my current address - I hope it gets accepted.

I did read on PSNI website that we can either post or submit our application in person at any police station.

Somudro
Member of Standing

Post by Somudro » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:43 am

U can use the GP card as a proof of address, Please register with GP and get a GP card ASAP if necessary.

rod_p

Post by rod_p » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:27 pm

destiniation_london wrote: I'm just a little worried about my current address proof, I don't have any apart from HSBC issued tax certificate which was sent on my current address - I hope it gets accepted.
I've read they are pretty easy-going with the proof of address - they just want to see something "official" and correspondence from a bank should be enough.

You can ring them up - they take phone calls and are friendly.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:15 am

rod_p wrote:
destiniation_london wrote: I'm just a little worried about my current address proof, I don't have any apart from HSBC issued tax certificate which was sent on my current address - I hope it gets accepted.
I've read they are pretty easy-going with the proof of address - they just want to see something "official" and correspondence from a bank should be enough.

You can ring them up - they take phone calls and are friendly.
Thanks mate, I'm going to call them up today. hopefully, all goes well and I receive it quickly. Never knew this is like a mandatory now to submit for NI applicants.

Thanks

p.mehta
Newly Registered

Post by p.mehta » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:43 pm

I CAN CONFIRM I LIVE IN BELLYMENA GOT APPROVAL TODAY NO PSNI WAS ASKED

NON EU MARRIED WITH EU LIVING TOGETHER IN OWN PROPERTY FOR 7 YRS

rod_p

Post by rod_p » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:03 am

p.mehta wrote:I CAN CONFIRM I LIVE IN BELLYMENA GOT APPROVAL TODAY NO PSNI WAS ASKED
Like I stated, it seems that only about 25-30% of NI applicants are being asked for it.

Still, for a tenner, the reduction in stress is a bargain ( and it IS part of caseworker's guidance to ask ).

p.mehta
Newly Registered

Post by p.mehta » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:41 pm

rod_p wrote:
p.mehta wrote:I CAN CONFIRM I LIVE IN BELLYMENA GOT APPROVAL TODAY NO PSNI WAS ASKED
Like I stated, it seems that only about 25-30% of NI applicants are being asked for it.

Still, for a tenner, the reduction in stress is a bargain ( and it IS part of caseworker's guidance to ask ).
#

yes its £10 and it usually take 3 weeks to process unless they are busy...

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:01 pm

I've just posted the form to the PSNI headquarters, I've also booked the NCS appointment for beginining of next month, just hoping the clearnace comes before that ... lets see

rod_p

Post by rod_p » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:44 pm

Your timing should be fine. They quote 40 days but consistently do 15.

If it shows up late, I see no reason why you can;t send the results to UKBA quoting the reference number they give you on your application acknowledgement ( they refer to this reference number in the caseworker's notes and NOT the reference number from your ILR ).

I was concerned they would not accept mine - if you read the caseworker's guidance, it describes the procedure of requesting PSNI from you and mentions something like "these are the only circumstances a CRB can be accepted from an applicant". My interpretation of that was they COULD reject my PSNI report.

However, my PSNI report was even photocopied by NCS ( which I only noticed a couple days later ) and UKBA readily accepted it. The NCS worker informed me the UKBA teams work on incentive pay based on the number of applications they approve. So, if they can approve your app fast, it's in their intere$t to do so!

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 pm

rod_p wrote:Your timing should be fine. They quote 40 days but consistently do 15.

If it shows up late, I see no reason why you can;t send the results to UKBA quoting the reference number they give you on your application acknowledgement ( they refer to this reference number in the caseworker's notes and NOT the reference number from your ILR ).

I was concerned they would not accept mine - if you read the caseworker's guidance, it describes the procedure of requesting PSNI from you and mentions something like "these are the only circumstances a CRB can be accepted from an applicant". My interpretation of that was they COULD reject my PSNI report.

However, my PSNI report was even photocopied by NCS ( which I only noticed a couple days later ) and UKBA readily accepted it. The NCS worker informed me the UKBA teams work on incentive pay based on the number of applications they approve. So, if they can approve your app fast, it's in their intere$t to do so!
It might have become unwritten norm now to ask for PSNI clearance from applicants from Northern Ireland. atleast that's what Hounslow NCS told me that they have been advised by Home Office to ask for security clearance and submit document along with application.

'Incentive depending on approvals' makes sense as they would not have to wait for the PSNI and they can approve applications quicker - lets see

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:39 pm

I'm just hoping the PSNI speeds up the process and get back to me before the end of the month...is there anything I can do to PSNI to speed things up, can I call them up and ping them about it?

rod_p

Post by rod_p » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:31 pm

destiniation_london wrote: It might have become unwritten norm now to ask for PSNI clearance from applicants from Northern Ireland. atleast that's what Hounslow NCS told me that they have been advised by Home Office to ask for security clearance and submit document along with application
They are doing you and all naturalisation applicants a favor. You will get your approval quicker and significant time savings involved ( quite massive when you think about it ) in the procedure - UKBA sending the applicant the request, deferring the app, getting the PSNI report to the correct team and then matching it all up for approval.

rod_p

Post by rod_p » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:38 pm

destiniation_london wrote:I'm just hoping the PSNI speeds up the process and get back to me before the end of the month...is there anything I can do to PSNI to speed things up, can I call them up and ping them about it?
I allowed 40 days plus postal time and was quite pleased how quick it went through - you should be fine ( my total wait was 3 weeks but post was from / to North Yorkshire ).

I would think any attempts to speed them up ( just like attempts to speed up UKBA ) would be counter-productive. You just may annoy them to the point that somebody says "fine, he can wait the full 40 days".

I'm sure this has happened with one or two naturalisation apps from anxious persons who've called UKBA up after one month or so demanding their approval or trying to trick them into releasing some info! It's a good thing they shut down that line - approvals speeding up at that time was more than a coincidence IMO.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:17 pm

PSNI are really very effecient , I got my PSNI report back today (in about 2 weeks end to end) with no history of me in their CRV database.

Since, I also ticked option to check for PNC records, there is a line at the end of the report which says if you have ticked 2a, report will be processed indenpendently and will be sent to you later - hoping that's not a part of PSNI, caseworker can do that check themselves if they wish too , isn't it

SubhasiniNagesh
Newly Registered

Re: Uregnt .. PSNI clearance!!!

Post by SubhasiniNagesh » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:40 am

Hi All, I was trying to book NCS appointment at westminister council to submit British Citizenship application, I was asked the same - PSNI check certificate. I was never asked in any of my previous visa applications and I dont think it will be required in my case. Happy that I found this topic in this board discussed earlier which guides me now.

I have decided to apply for PSNI check certificate and have 1 query - which box should we tick. Is it 2A or 2C.

2A - Tick here if you wish to access your personal data held on psni systems regarding convictions/cautions awarded in Northern Ireland (Criminal Record Check).

Please advise. Thanks.

RedBlue
India

Re: Uregnt .. PSNI clearance!!!

Post by RedBlue » Tue May 17, 2016 7:44 pm

HI All,

I have applied through Wandsworth council but reside in NI. I was not asked for the PSNI doc by the NCS official, Is PSNI clearance a required doc for the application process? I have not requested for one. Should I apply for one and send it to HO (This will take 4 weeks)or will HO get this as part of the verification process. As i think this is delaying the applcaiton process.

Any Advise will be helpful.