ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

What visa do I need?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cleamc
Newly Registered

What visa do I need?

Post by cleamc » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:29 am

I am an Australian citizen currently in the UK as a tourist and planning on marrying my long-term British partner. After the wedding I will not be living in the UK for 12 months due to work committments, but my partner will remain here. Do I need to change my visa status or can I get married on a tourist visa and simply return next time on a spousal visa? I have been unable to find a clear answer to this question on the UK Border Agency website.

DieselD

Post by DieselD » Wed Feb 06, 2013 11:38 am

I'm guessing you can get married in the UK in a church. You will need to leave the UK before your vistor visa expires to avoid being an overstayer. If you try and marry through your local council you may have to show a fiance visa in your passport. You may need to explain later why you married in the UK and didn't mention it on your vistor visa application.

You can't change a visitor visa to a fiance visa whilst in the UK.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:04 pm

Not quiet correct DiesalD. You can marry on a visitor visa in a registry office or church. Even those with no legal status are able to marry without permission from the Home Office.
You won't find this on the UKBA website as technically you should have applied for a marriage visit visa before entry into the UK if your intention was to marry. However, plans can change while you're here.