ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Is return ticket for general visitor mendatory?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

prakul
Newly Registered

Is return ticket for general visitor mendatory?

Post by prakul » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi Everyone,

Do general visitor need return ticket while entering in UK?
Or we can book later on.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards
prakul

Lucapooka
Respected Guru

Post by Lucapooka » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:33 pm

It's not required. Anyone can book a flight and then cancel it so in terms of evidence of return it's worthless. More important to show you have funds to afford a return ticket. Even so, that is only useful for entry clearance granted on arrival rather than issued beforehand. If you apply for a visa and are granted a visa, all you need to show has already been shown.

mulderpf
Diamond Member

Post by mulderpf » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:47 am

I slightly disagree here (there is indeed no requirement to enter with a return ticket - that part is correct). Upon entry into the UK with a one-way ticket (if the issue is raised) on a visit visa, you are sure to raise concerns about overstaying. Unless you have substantial evidence that you will be returning to your country, I would always suggest having a return ticket (or at least an onward ticket to another destination).

There is no reason for any reasonable visitor to enter the UK without a ticket for an onward journey. Not having this could cause you a lot more hassle than it's worth.
Do not send me PM's with specific questions - post question in the open forum so others can also benefit from the answers.

wiggsy

Post by wiggsy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:20 pm

when my wifes mother came she had a return journey planned for two weeks time... after arriving she called and cancelled the flight and moved it to another date (paying a small charge)..

she lived with us etc during the time here.

the same scenario when her family came for our wedding. moved the flight. -

prakul
Newly Registered

Post by prakul » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi All,

Thanks for your reply. I applied visa for my in laws. They got the general visior visa for 6 months. I am not sure when they are going to return within 6 months. They might return in 1 month or after 3 months...
or My FIL will go early & MIL will go later on...
So its not known right now....

Is there any contact number or email where I can confirm with UKBA?

Thanks in advance.

Regards
prakul

thebionicredneck2003
Member of Standing

Post by thebionicredneck2003 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:15 pm

You don't have to contact anyone. They can book to travel anytime within the period alloted to them on the visa.

Even if they buy tickets to stay for say 3 months and they want to alter it and stay for only 1 month, it is fine, as people's plans can change. The issue is not to breach the conditions for which you were granted the visa i.e. if it is to visit for a 6 month period, then do not exceed it. Simples!!
Regards