ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Difference between work permit sticker and student visa stic

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

naeemr
Newly Registered

Difference between work permit sticker and student visa stic

Post by naeemr » Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:53 pm

In Dec 2007, I applied for visa for writing up thesis as my student visa was expired. I got one one year visa from Jan 2008 to Dec 2008 as i am eligible to work full time. Then i started a job in march 2008 (full time) however i applied for work permit in July 2008. I am with the same employer from March 2008 to Feb 2013.
I have now confusion that Either my Five years will complete in march 2013 or July 2013 as i can't see any difference on the visa sticker for both the cases discussed above.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:01 pm

There should be a WP ref number on the visa vignette which will distinguish the two. What type of Work Permits were they? I presume that the first was different to the second? Additionally you should have the original WP letter for each.

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:30 pm

If you got wp sticker/visa from within UK, you start counting from the effective start date on your wp visa sticker.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

naeemr
Newly Registered

Post by naeemr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:58 am

cs95tdg wrote:There should be a WP ref number on the visa vignette which will distinguish the two. What type of Work Permits were they? I presume that the first was different to the second? Additionally you should have the original WP letter for each.
Thanks but there is no difference between two visas at all however I got the first visa when I applied for the writing up my PhD thesis. So I dont know can I apply for ILR in March or not

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:02 pm

wpilr_nov12 wrote:If you got wp sticker/visa from within UK, you start counting from the effective start date on your wp visa sticker.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:05 pm

naeemr wrote:
cs95tdg wrote:There should be a WP ref number on the visa vignette which will distinguish the two. What type of Work Permits were they? I presume that the first was different to the second? Additionally you should have the original WP letter for each.
Thanks but there is no difference between two visas at all however I got the first visa when I applied for the writing up my PhD thesis. So I dont know can I apply for ILR in March or not
You haven't mentioned what type of WP's they were? Who sponsored them? Were both sponsored by the same employer?

There are many different types of WP's which were available prior to the PBS system that was introduced in 2008. Your first appears to be a student visa, with permission to work, was this the case? If so that is entirely different to a work permit issued for e.g. for business and commercial purposes. Residence under the latter count towards your residence for ILR as a economic migrant, but not the first (IMO). So it's important that you know what category each WP falls under.

Do you not have the WP letters issued for each?

naeemr
Newly Registered

Post by naeemr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:09 pm

wpilr_nov12 wrote:
wpilr_nov12 wrote:If you got wp sticker/visa from within UK, you start counting from the effective start date on your wp visa sticker.
The problem I can see the first visa is applied on the basis of Writing up PhD thesis (Can i count it as Work Permit) because I started full time job in March ( my employer University said that I can work on this Visa full time) and later on I applied for WP in June and got in July.

So i need help in this issue

naeemr
Newly Registered

Post by naeemr » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:18 pm

cs95tdg wrote:
naeemr wrote:
You haven't mentioned what type of WP's they were? Who sponsored them? Were both sponsored by the same employer?

There are many different types of WP's which were available prior to the PBS system that was introduced in 2008. Your first appears to be a student visa, with permission to work, was this the case? If so that is entirely different to a work permit issued for e.g. for business and commercial purposes. Residence under the latter count towards your residence for ILR as a economic migrant, but not the first (IMO). So it's important that you know what category each WP falls under.

Do you not have the WP letters issued for each?
Thanks for quick response.

I dont have the letter but the Visa i got in Jan 2008 is on the basis of Writing up PhD thesis ( I applied myself without any letter from employer). My concern is that is it fall under the category of work permit or student visa?? because I can't see any difference When I applied for Work Permit in July 2008.
I started a job in March 2008 and Applied for Work Permit in July 2008 with the same employer till January 2013.

Would you please helkp if I can apply in March as My full time employment will complete 5 years in Feb 2013.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:30 pm

naeemr wrote:I dont have the letter but the Visa i got in Jan 2008 is on the basis of Writing up PhD thesis ( I applied myself without any letter from employer). My concern is that is it fall under the category of work permit or student visa??
It is rather difficult to give you a accurate answer without the required information. However based on your comment above, I'm now more inclined to believe that this was indeed permission to work as a student. Can you remember which form you used to apply for it?

I presume your employer applied for the latter WP, can you confirm?

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 pm

'student writing up a thesis' was part of the old student visa categories, and is not a work permit regardless of the fact that you had permission to work with that leave. It doesn't matter that the 'sticker looks the same'.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Greenie wrote:'student writing up a thesis' was part of the old student visa categories, and is not a work permit regardless of the fact that you had permission to work with that leave. It doesn't matter that the 'sticker looks the same'.
Agree, that if it was an old student visa, then it certainly wouldn't qualify towards the residence period for ILR as a economic migrant.