ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing from fiance to spouse visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Kylea
Newly Registered

Changing from fiance to spouse visa

Post by Kylea » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:11 am

I am currently in the UK on a fiance visa due to be married on March the 10th. I am wondering how I go about switching to the 2 year spouse visa and what I will need in the way of documentation to do so. Do I have to go through the US embassy as I did to apply for the fiance visa? How long does the application process take?

Any help would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:10 am

After the marriage has happened you need to use the form FLR(M) to convert your current fiancée visa into a 2-year spouse visa. But download the form now so that you can see the supporting documents that will be required. The application can be made in the UK, and can be made as soon as the marriage has happened ... there is no need to wait until near the end of your 6-month fiancée visa.

How long will it take? If you attend in person at a PEO then it will be dealt with on a same-day basis, as long as all the required supporting evidence is provided. Cost £500. Or if you apply by post, cost £335, then it could take about 3 or 4 weeks.

The figures of £500 and £335 apply only up to 31.03.07. After that expect the application fees to be higher, but new levels not yet announced. An incentive for you to make the application this month, after the marriage, to beat the new higher fees.
John

Kylea
Newly Registered

Post by Kylea » Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:31 am

Thank you very much for the form and the information. We will get right to it!

One last question, once we have the extended visa where do I apply for the national insurance number/card so that I can work? Also where will I apply to get my NHS number? I guess that's two questions hehe..

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:09 am

once we have the extended visa where do I apply for the national insurance number/card so that I can work?
At the Job Centre+, and you will need to show that you are seeking work.

By the way, it is not the having of a National Insurance Card that entitles you to work, it is the spouse visa in your passport. That is, as soon as you have that visa you are entitled to work.

Some people, not you, might legitimately have a National Insurance Card, but no (longer) have the ability to work. For example they might have had a Work Permit, which has now expired.
Also where will I apply to get my NHS number?
You simply need to register as a patient at a NHS doctor's surgery. Logically register at the same surgery as your husband (as he will be) is registered at.
John