ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Old LITUK test valid or have to do the new LITUK test as wel

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

ridewithme

Old LITUK test valid or have to do the new LITUK test as wel

Post by ridewithme » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:13 pm

Hi Guys, my husband is planning on applying for ILR in OCt 2013...start of NOV 2013......he has already passed the old LITUK test......as we all know that it doesnt have an expiry date but also they have introduced the NEW LITUK test from March 2013 onwards.....my question is that would the old LITUK test still be valid or would he have to do the new TEST as well. Please advise.

Gagan1986

Post by Gagan1986 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Old one still be valid. Don't need to give it again

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:11 am

Confirmed.

msvayani

Post by msvayani » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:19 am

Casa wrote:Confirmed.
Sorry, Can I ask if UKBA is introducing additional requirement in Oct 2013 for ILR in terms of new english language test + current Life in the UK Test? I read some where but not sure if its ture or not.

Kindly confirm

Regards

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:28 am

Reading the following may help understand the changes: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ement1.pdf

From October 2013, we will require all applicants for settlement to demonstrate a knowledge of language and life in the UK by passing the Life in the UK test and by presenting a speaking and listening qualification at intermediate level (Common European Framework of Reference level B1) or above. This language requirement, together with a knowledge of the values that underlie British society, will help ensure that those who settle here are able to participate in British life and are better able to gain employment.

msvayani

Post by msvayani » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:55 am

cs95tdg wrote:Reading the following may help understand the changes: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... ement1.pdf

From October 2013, we will require all applicants for settlement to demonstrate a knowledge of language and life in the UK by passing the Life in the UK test and by presenting a speaking and listening qualification at intermediate level (Common European Framework of Reference level B1) or above. This language requirement, together with a knowledge of the values that underlie British society, will help ensure that those who settle here are able to participate in British life and are better able to gain employment.
Thanks Guru, But one thing is not clear:
Currently, applicants for indefinite leave to enter or remain (settlement) are required to show they
have sufficient knowledge of language and life in the UK by passing the Life in the UK test or by
passing an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) course with Citizenship materials. The
majority of applicants take the Life in the UK Test. The test is set at ESOL Entry Level 3 (B1 of the
Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR))
and is based on the handbook "Life in the
United Kingdom: A Journey to Citizenship".

From October 2013, we will require all applicants for settlement to demonstrate a knowledge of
language and life in the UK by passing the Life in the UK test and by presenting a speaking and
listening qualification at intermediate level (Common European Framework of Reference level B1) or
above. This language requirement, together with a knowledge of the values that underlie British
society, will help ensure that those who settle here are able to participate in British life and are better
able to gain employment.
Current Life in the UK Test is already equivalent of B1 level of CERF, Then why is there separate requirement?

Regards

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:25 pm

My understanding is that the OLD PASS CERTIFICATE ( For Tests taken before 25th March'13) is valid indefinitely. As long as one does not loose the Pass Certificate.

ridewithme

Post by ridewithme » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:57 pm

Thanks for the replies guys........with regards to the English test at B1 or higher could some one plz. advise if passing the IELTS exam would be enough. My husband had done it b4 he applied for spouse visa but the cert. is only valid for 2 years so he wud have to do it again.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:12 pm

msvayani wrote:Current Life in the UK Test is already equivalent of B1 level of CERF, Then why is there separate requirement?
I haven't read the information in detail, but from what I gather, it appears that while the LITUK test is set at B1, the ESOL qualifications shown by migrant family members at the time of settlement in the past have been at a lower level than B1.

I have to say I do not personally know what level the current ESOL course stated in the UKBA requirements is set at; i.e. whether it’s at B1 or a lower level. I suspect this change in October is going to make a B1 level English qualification mandatory for non-English speakers in addition to the LITUK test which everyone is already required to take.

So in summary the key change would be the level of English language ability a dependant partner would need to demonstrate at the time of settlement.

I’m certainly open to further comment/correction by those who have read the detailed information on this change, if what I’ve stated is incorrect.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:23 pm

ridewithme wrote:Thanks for the replies guys........with regards to the English test at B1 or higher could some one plz. advise if passing the IELTS exam would be enough. My husband had done it b4 he applied for spouse visa but the cert. is only valid for 2 years so he wud have to do it again.
You may want to check the approved English Language Test list below: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... -tests.pdf

I see TOEFL listed, you may want to verify the scores mentioned there against your husband's scores. Note however, if hist test result certificate has a expiry date and it has now expired, I suspect he may need to retake it or another acceptable qualification. Wait for others to confirm.

Digvijay
Newly Registered

Post by Digvijay » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Ukba only accepting liuk passed test till 25 march ,If anyone applying after that they have to pass test again.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:56 pm

Digvijay wrote:Ukba only accepting liuk passed test till 25 march ,If anyone applying after that they have to pass test again.
Can you clarify what you mean by this statement?

Are you saying that the UKBA will not accept LITUK test results where the test was taken before March 25th 2013, if the settlement application is made after that date? If so can you provide an official reference to where this is stated?

uksettlement
India

Post by uksettlement » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:04 am

Digvijay wrote:Ukba only accepting liuk passed test till 25 march ,If anyone applying after that they have to pass test again.
Hi digvijay, am sorry but it looks like you are misinformed.
Thanks!

Disclaimer: I am no immigration lawyer nor am I OISC qualified. Suggestions given by me are based on personal experience of dealing with UKBA. Don't treat my advice as a substitute for legal opinion.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:23 am

Digvijay,

Do you have a reference where it is saying that if you are applying after 25th March, you need to pass the new LIUK test?.

Please below link to confirm the validity of the test on UKBA site

http://lifeintheuktest.ukba.homeoffice. ... 70.html#q4

This clearly says following:

How long is my certificate valid for?

Your Life in the UK Test Certificate does not have an expiry date on it. You should therefore keep it in a safe place until you are ready to submit the original with your application for Citizenship or Settlement.

We are not able to provide you with further copies of your test certificate. If you lose it, you should contact the Home Office who may ask you to take your test again.

Digvijay
Newly Registered

Post by Digvijay » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:02 pm

This is what was informed my by my lawyer i am also trying to find out with ukba as i have passed my test in last dec and i am applying for ilr late june.

Ramana66

Post by Ramana66 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:16 pm

But didn't you say above? What is the source for your above statement. Any UKBA reference?

Thanks,

Ramana

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:42 pm

Your 'lawyer' is wrong. Hopefully they are better informed of the other requirements for ILR. :?

Kevin24
Diamond Member

Post by Kevin24 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:25 pm

Casa wrote:Your 'lawyer' is wrong. Hopefully they are better informed of the other requirements for ILR. :?
Hi! CASA you are right. If he is going to follow Solicitor's advise we are wasting our valuable time.

vinny

Re: Old LITUK test valid or have to do the new LITUK test as

Post by vinny » Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:54 am

The OP was granted ILR in Sept 2013.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Casa
United Kingdom

Re: Old LITUK test valid or have to do the new LITUK test as

Post by Casa » Sat Sep 12, 2015 9:19 am

shubhamsingal wrote:I believe he will have to give the new life in the uk test
Please can you check the threads you're posting in. This one is over 2 years old and your previous post in another thread almost 1 year old! In addition, the information you've given in this thread is incorrect.
(Casa, not CR001)
Please don't send me PMs asking for immigration advice on posts that are on the open forum. If I haven't responded there, it's because I don't have the answer. I'm a moderator, not a legal professional.