ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit questions

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lesleym
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

EEA family permit questions

Post by lesleym » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi, my situation is that I am a UK citizen, living and working in the UK. My boyfriend is originally from Pakistan but is currently living in Greece. He was working until the end of September when his job finished for the summer season so he is currently unemployed but is actively seeking work. We both want him to come here but to apply for a visa because I don't earn enough I need savings to make up the shortfall. I estimate it will take me 2-3 years to save the amount required so I have been looking into the EEA family permit route as we don't want to wait that long to be together. I am aware that we would need to be married to go down this route.

My main questions are: if I go to Greece and exercise my treating rights there how long do I need to go for and do I need to earn a certain amount or work a certain amount of hours? Also, I read I can exercise my treating rights if I am employed or self employed. So if I sell things that I make (I knit) would that be counted as being self employed? And would I have to earn over a certain amount?

I would be grateful for any information anyone could give me.

Lesley

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:35 pm

If you work in another member state and your family member lives there with you, the UK would allow you to use the EEA route to return to the UK.

There is no minimum time that you would need to be working in another member state, but clearly the longer it is the less more it would be considered to be genuine - six months perhaps. Self-employed persons would be considered.

It would be important that you document everything.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:42 pm

Are you and your boyfriend planning on marrying?

lesleym
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lesleym » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:55 pm

EUsmileWEallsmile wrote:If you work in another member state and your family member lives there with you, the UK would allow you to use the EEA route to return to the UK.

There is no minimum time that you would need to be working in another member state, but clearly the longer it is the less more it would be considered to be genuine - six months perhaps. Self-employed persons would be considered.

It would be important that you document everything.
Thank you!

lesleym
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lesleym » Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:56 pm

Greenie wrote:Are you and your boyfriend planning on marrying?
Yes we are.

lesleym
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lesleym » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:49 pm

Another couple of things - I assume that I have to live there permanently with him, I can't just go there at weekends and either work or sell what I make there? If I decide to sell what I make, what kind of proof would I need and is there a minimum I would need to earn? Would I need to submit my bank statements?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get my head around everything!

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Another poster asked some similar questions here

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=120614

lesleym
Newly Registered
United Kingdom

Post by lesleym » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:09 am

thanks for the link but I am really more interested in self employed working as if I go over there I will either be pregnant or have a young baby so my employment opportunities will be limited.

So, if I decide to sell what I make, what kind of proof would I need and is there a minimum I would need to earn? Would I need to submit my bank statements?