ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Passport application: can I keep my other passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

LondonApplicant
France

British Passport application: can I keep my other passport?

Post by LondonApplicant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:20 am

I am an EEA citizen. I understand that, if I become a British citizen by naturalisation, I should submit my other passport (the one of my native country) when applying for my first British passport. However:

1) do I have to send it also if I use the check & send service in a post office, or is that like the Nationality Checking Service, where they check the passport but you get to keep it ?

2) can I send my European Identity Card only, and keep my passport? If so, do I need to have the identity card translated to English?

Thanks

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: British Passport application: can I keep my other passpo

Post by vinitmanu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:28 am

LondonApplicant wrote:I am an EEA citizen. I understand that, if I become a British citizen by naturalisation, I should submit my other passport (the one of my native country) when applying for my first British passport. However:

1) do I have to send it also if I use the check & send service in a post office, or is that like the Nationality Checking Service, where they check the passport but you get to keep it ?

2) can I send my European Identity Card only, and keep my passport? If so, do I need to have the identity card translated to English?

Thanks
You will need to send your passport even if you apply via Check & Send.
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

trs2011
- thin ice -

Post by trs2011 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:22 am

LondonApplicant wrote:I am an EEA citizen. I understand that, if I become a British citizen by naturalisation, I should submit my other passport (the one of my native country) when applying for my first British passport. However:

Thanks
Send your passport , that is what they will only accept . These days anyone can have a forged EU card when they are not even from EU , that is why they don't accept them .

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:42 pm

I remain to be convinced that you really need to send a foreign passport with a British passport application.

The IPS policy document on foreign passports:
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... iew=Binary

Reading between the lines, it appears that foreign passports are only required in exceptional cases where it's needed to validate that the person applying is the same person as on the birth/citizenship certificate.

LondonApplicant
France

Post by LondonApplicant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:50 pm

JAJ wrote:I remain to be convinced that you really need to send a foreign passport with a British passport application.

The IPS policy document on foreign passports:
http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... iew=Binary

Reading between the lines, it appears that foreign passports are only required in exceptional cases where it's needed to validate that the person applying is the same person as on the birth/citizenship certificate.
All the more so because European passports are not stamped, so provide no proof whatsoever of entry into the UK, and also because EEA citizens (of those countries which have ID cards, i.e. almost all excluding Ireland and Denmark) are under no obligation to hold a passport if they hold a valid ID card.

I'll ask IPS and let you know.

LondonApplicant
France

Post by LondonApplicant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:52 pm

trs2011 wrote: Send your passport , that is what they will only accept . These days anyone can have a forged EU card when they are not even from EU , that is why they don't accept them .
Thanks for the reply. However, may I ask how you know? In other words, has the Home Office specifically confirmed this, or are you guessing that's the case? I ask because I have seen many occasions in which people's interpretations did not turn out to be accurate

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:58 pm

The form and Guide clearly ask for your foreign passport. This is mainly to help to establish your identity. Not sending one might not prevent you from getting a passport but as IPS normally only hold the passport for 1-2 weeks, I fail to understand why not to comply with the guidelines.

LondonApplicant
France

Post by LondonApplicant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:06 pm

trs2011 wrote: Send your passport , that is what they will only accept . These days anyone can have a forged EU card when they are not even from EU , that is why they don't accept them .
If that were the reason, then identity cards wouldn't be accepted as proof of ID in the application for naturalisation, which they are.

LondonApplicant
France

Post by LondonApplicant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:10 pm

Jambo wrote:The form and Guide clearly ask for your foreign passport. This is mainly to help to establish your identity. Not sending one might not prevent you from getting a passport but as IPS normally only hold the passport for 1-2 weeks, I fail to understand why not to comply with the guidelines.
I am not saying I don't want to comply with the guidelines.

I am merely asking if anyone knows for sure whether European Identity Cards are accepted as a substitute for the passport, just like they are when entering the country, or as proof of id when submitting an application for naturalisation.

I fail to see the logic whereby a certain document is accepted to prove who you are when applying for citizenship, but not when applying for your first British passport, and therefore I asked if anyone knows more.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:20 pm

Have a read where it clearly states that for the person born outside UK needs to send the passport alongwith the certificate of Naturalisation/Registration.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:36 pm

LondonApplicant wrote:
Jambo wrote:The form and Guide clearly ask for your foreign passport. This is mainly to help to establish your identity. Not sending one might not prevent you from getting a passport but as IPS normally only hold the passport for 1-2 weeks, I fail to understand why not to comply with the guidelines.
I am not saying I don't want to comply with the guidelines.

I am merely asking if anyone knows for sure whether European Identity Cards are accepted as a substitute for the passport, just like they are when entering the country, or as proof of id when submitting an application for naturalisation.

I fail to see the logic whereby a certain document is accepted to prove who you are when applying for citizenship, but not when applying for your first British passport, and therefore I asked if anyone knows more.
If you got a passport, better to use that.
If you don't have a passport, then you can't submit something you don't have.

If you got a passport but prefer to submit another ID, this would probably be OK but I still don't understand why you object to post your pasport but you are OK to post your ID card.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Post by vinitmanu » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:04 pm

I second Jambo ! However, is there a specific reason as to why you don't want to send your passport? Rest assured, in most cases you receive your passport back within a week.

LondonApplicant
France

Post by LondonApplicant » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:36 pm

Jambo wrote: If you got a passport, better to use that.
If you don't have a passport, then you can't submit something you don't have.

If you got a passport but prefer to submit another ID, this would probably be OK but I still don't understand why you object to post your pasport but you are OK to post your ID card.
Simply because keeping my other passport would allow me to travel outside the EU, which I cannot do on my identity card. If I must submit my passport I'll do that in a period when I don't need to travel - it's not the end of the world.

Thanks for the clarifications.