ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Do you need to hand in passport when you apply for a visa ?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

christine44

Do you need to hand in passport when you apply for a visa ?

Post by christine44 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 am

Hello,

My husband is Albanian and I am British. We are hoping that he will be able to apply for a UK marriage visa in a couple of months once he has taken the English Language test and received the certificate. He currently lives in Italy and holds a current work visa for Italy. I understand that once he has made the application and payment online he will need to make an appointment at the UK Embassy in Albania to hand in his supporting documents. My question is - Will he also need to hand in his passport or will they just take a photocopy of it ? The reason I ask is we need to know if he will be able to return to Italy to work while he waits for the Visa decision, or will he have to remain in Albania to wait because he will not be able to leave if the Embassy keeps his passport while they process the application ?

Thank you, Christine
Last edited by christine44 on Mon May 27, 2013 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:16 am

He may apply in Italy.
Last edited by vinny on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

christine44

Post by christine44 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:25 am

Really ? Has this changed recently ? I wrote to Worldbridge last year and asked about this and they said that he would be able to apply for a UK Visitor visa in Italy but if we got married and went for the UK Marriage visa he would have to apply in Albania. I know he could make the application from anywhere as it is online but I believed it would be processed by the UK Embassy in Albania so he would have to go there to hand in the supporting documents. Is this not correct ? The Worldbridge email was a bit confusing so I might have misunderstood. Just to clarify - he does not have a permanent right to work in Italy - his current work visa is for one year and then he has to renew it by providing proof of a work contract which he can do. Not sure if this makes a difference or not.

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:31 am

vinny wrote:apply
Click on my link for more info.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

christine44

Post by christine44 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:35 am

Thanks Vinny. The link doesn't seem to be working for me, but neither do a lot of the UKBA links I've tried tonight so I'm assuming the website is down at the moment. I'll try again tomorrow.