ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

MN1 form: Time for decision & ? to submit child's passpo

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:30 pm

Hi,

I have recently obtailed ILR. I am planning to apply for British passport for my children under Section A, form MN1.

How long does the process takes, does anybody have any recent experience?

And if I have read the form correctly, we do not need to submit the current passport of the children. I would be grateful if somebody can confirm the same.

Thanks for the help

Welhome

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:00 pm

The IND website indicates an average processing time of 3.41 months as at the end of October.

As to whether to submit the children's passports, I agree that Guide MN1 makes no mention of them , in "Section A" applications, so I presume IND don't need them - it is, of course, the case that a child who has never left the UK wouldn't necessarily have a passport...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:06 pm

ppron747 wrote:The IND website indicates an average processing time of 3.41 months as at the end of October.

As to whether to submit the children's passports, I agree that Guide MN1 makes no mention of them , in "Section A" applications, so I presume IND don't need them - it is, of course, the case that a child who has never left the UK wouldn't necessarily have a passport...
Hi PPron747,

Thanks for the quick reply. I had a look at the IND website. The problem is that I have to submit my passport, and I may need my passport in the next 3 months. So I was wondering if anybody had recent experience of getting it done quicker. And also, do they return your passports/ documents, while they are still considering the application form.

My kids have travelled abroad, hence they do have passports.

Welhome

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:25 pm

I'd imagine that they'd accept a solicitor-certified copy of your passport - they should, after all, have your file in front of them when dealing with the children's applications, so there won't be much room for doubt as to your identity or immigration status....

It's a shame that NCS offices won't (?yet...) deal with minor registration applications, except in conjunction with a parent's naturalisation application...
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

antontony

Post by antontony » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:38 pm

My recent client got MN1 granted in 4 weeks - nothing special, just teh application form + evidence.

Regards,

Anton

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:58 am

ppron747 wrote:The IND website indicates an average processing time of 3.41 months as at the end of October.
As discussed on another forum, this figure includes section 3(1) applications, most of which are linked to a parent's naturalisation application and take the same amount of time (4 months or so).

Processing times for a "stand-alone" section 1(3) registration application should be less than that.

wel_home
Newly Registered

Post by wel_home » Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi, Just an update. Got the citizen certificate (child, MN1 form), in about 5 weeks from submission.

Thanks everybody for the help

Wel_home

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:00 pm

Wel_home, congratulations .... glad it all worked out so well.

And what you might not know is that since you applied the form MN1 has been redrafted .... and the polite version is that the new form has ... let's call them drafting errors!

An even newer version of the form MN1 will be issued in the near future. For the benefit of anyone now facing the completion of a MN1 form, in the meantime, especially if the child has not been in the UK for 3 years, in the new referees section .... cross out the reference to the referee knowing the child for at least 3 years.

The new version of the form, when released, will have the reference to 3 years missing.
John

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:15 am

You can call the telephone help line for specific questions on any application. They are friendly and seem to actually know the answers!

As of recently, you could send solicitor-notarized copies of documents for both MN1 and AN applications and therefore keep the passport at home. It is cheap and quick to get done at most solicitors.

fpoptani
Newly Registered

Post by fpoptani » Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:17 pm

Hi I sent an MN1 application for my child on the 27/11/2006 and recvd acknowledgement on the 11/12/2006. Havent heard from them yet to date.Anyone one got any ideas what might the probllem be?
I also sent my HO registration certificate and not my British passport. Will that be a problem?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:45 am

fpoptani wrote:Hi I sent an MN1 application for my child on the 27/11/2006 and recvd acknowledgement on the 11/12/2006. Havent heard from them yet to date.Anyone one got any ideas what might the probllem be?
I also sent my HO registration certificate and not my British passport. Will that be a problem?
Have you not even had an acknowledgement with a file number? You should certainly have received this at least.

Did you send the application to the Home Office by courier or secure post? Do you have proof of delivery?

This table of processing times gives a distorted figure because most minor registration are linked to naturalisation applications. Those not linked to naturalisation applications should be processed within 2 months:
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/

So the bottom line is that something is seriously wrong and you need to find out what's going on (eg the application may be lost in the system).

shabrawy
Newly Registered

Post by shabrawy » Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:57 pm

Hi everyone,
I submitted the MN1 form for my children based on section 1(3):
As they were born in the UK and both me and their mother have got the ILR.
My questions are:
1- What is this called "registeration as a british citizens" or "naturalisation"?

2- If hopefully we get the citizenship letters, are they eligible for British passports
?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:27 pm

shabrawy wrote:Hi everyone,
I submitted the MN1 form for my children based on section 1(3):
As they were born in the UK and both me and their mother have got the ILR.
My questions are:
1- What is this called "registeration as a british citizens" or "naturalisation"?

2- If hopefully we get the citizenship letters, are they eligible for British passports
?
1. Registration (which is effectively a simplified naturalisation).

2. Yes (the children will get citizenship certificates, not letters).

Bear in mind that if children are born in the UK, and a parent subsequently obtains ILR, the child if under 18 has an entitlement to be registered as a British citizen. It cannot be refused if the statutory requirements are met.

shabrawy
Newly Registered

Post by shabrawy » Thu Mar 15, 2007 11:37 pm

Thank you JAJ for your answer, just the last bit of my question:
after getting these citizenship certificates for my children, can I we get Britisg passports for them?
Last edited by shabrawy on Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:28 am

shabrawy wrote: after getting these citizenship certificates for my children, can I issue Britisg passport for them?
You can't "issue" them a passport but the Passport Office can. (and will, if an application is made)

awayra

hi there

Post by awayra » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:47 pm

hi there