ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Unmarried Partner: 2 years akin to marriage

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Unmarried Partner: 2 years akin to marriage

Post by expotokyo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:31 pm

I am very confused about this period. IS there anywhere in the guidance that states explicitly that this period must be directly preceding the application?

i.e. what if a couple lived with each other in India for 3 years, then were separated for 18months (but sustained the relationship) and then lived together in the UK for another year.

Would this be automatically rejected? Or are there legal grounds to argue that it does meet the 2 years prior cohabitation.

Thanks

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:43 pm

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... hp8-annex/

see annex FM 2.0 - geniune and subsisting relationships in the caseworker guidance
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:20 pm

Hi,
I have read FM 2.0 and this is what I mean.

"In Appendix FM, an unmarried partner or a same sex partner means a person"
"who has been living with the applicant in a relationship akin to a marriage or civil partnership for at least two years prior to the date of application."

Prior to in English means any time before.

AS far as I can see, it is ambiguous and not clear that it must be directly preceding.

CR001
Mood:
South Africa

Post by CR001 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:24 pm

It means 'prior to date of application" so the two years preceeding the date the application is made, not the two years before the 18 months you were living apart!
Char (CR001 not Casa)
In life you cannot press the Backspace button!!
Please DO NOT send me a PM for immigration advice. I reserve the right to ignore the PM and not respond.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:00 am

CR001 wrote:It means 'prior to date of application" so the two years preceeding the date the application is made, not the two years before the 18 months you were living apart!
I concur. I believe the purpose of that provision, is to enable people who have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage, by virtue of their cohabiting, and intend to live together not to be disadvantaged by the fact that they are not married.

Even if historic cohabitation was taken into account. The length of time you were apart, for which you are seeking to claim a an unmarried partner status, is such that, it does not indicate the relation is solid and enduring.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:45 am

I agree that 18 months is a long time. However in the rejection letter itself, it stated that we have shown that we can maintain a relationship whilst living apart (we provided evidence of skype history and visits).

Therefore, UKBA themselves have accepted that we maintained the relationship. In law, if a term is ambiguous, then then in many cases the judge will consider the interpretation of the person reading the law.

Prior means before and does not explicitly mean 'immediately preceding'

Any thoughts?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:39 am

"Akin to marriage" is the key point.

You can have a subsisting relationship - but it doesn't mean it's akin to marriage and the marker used for this is living together for 2 years.

M.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:44 pm

The point is that we have had over 2 years akin to marriage and can prove it and that UKBA has stated in writing that during the gap,we did sustain our relationship.

They state that the maximum gap is 6 months, but this 6 months refers to a period WITHIN the 2 years.

We had over 2 consecutive years living together in the same country prior to the gap and then another 1 year in the UK.

Ultimately, its hard to argue against the rule, but it does not explicitly state that the 2 years must be immediately before (for in-country applicants).

This might be a slim chance, but there is some minimal hope, especially if the relationship is clearly genuine.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:48 pm

But the point is that your subsisting relationship wasn't akin to marriage in the 2 years prior to the point of application.

I think you're trying to convince yourself - and it is your dime.

expotokyo
Newly Registered

Post by expotokyo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:04 pm

I absolutely agree that point and realise its a hard one to argue.
But the argument is that prior in English generally means 'before' which is not the same as 'immediately preceding' or 'immediately before'.

For example, if someone asks you in a Job interview if you have any experience prior to applying, it does not necessarily mean it has to be immediately before the application. The experience could be any time in the past.