ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship for wife

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

gm
Newly Registered

British Citizenship for wife

Post by gm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:32 pm

Hello

I am wondering if some one can help with this query. We are both on ILR and I am eligible to apply for UK citizenship now on the basis of Tier1 5 yrs + 1 yr ILR. However my wife only joined me in the UK from 2010 on the spouse visa and been in UK from 2009 on a visit visa. From the UKBA website I see that she has to complete the residence requirement of 5 yrs to get citizenship.

My question is if I apply for citizenship first, can she apply separately for citizenship as the wife of uk citizen as she completed the 3 yr rule? Or is being in UK with a visit visa can be counted towards her residence requirement if I postpone my application to 2014 so that we can apply together?

Any reply on this would be really helpful.

Thanks & Regards
gm.

vinitmanu
Member of Standing

Re: British Citizenship for wife

Post by vinitmanu » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:44 pm

gm wrote:Hello

I am wondering if some one can help with this query. We are both on ILR and I am eligible to apply for UK citizenship now on the basis of Tier1 5 yrs + 1 yr ILR. However my wife only joined me in the UK from 2010 on the spouse visa and been in UK from 2009 on a visit visa. From the UKBA website I see that she has to complete the residence requirement of 5 yrs to get citizenship.

My question is if I apply for citizenship first, can she apply separately for citizenship as the wife of uk citizen as she completed the 3 yr rule? Or is being in UK with a visit visa can be counted towards her residence requirement if I postpone my application to 2014 so that we can apply together?

Any reply on this would be really helpful.

Thanks & Regards
gm.
your earliest your wife can apply will be after you have acquired the British Citizenship. However, she needs to meet all the standard requirements and must have been in the UK for 3 years.
Life's too short .. Take it easy !

gm
Newly Registered

Re: British Citizenship for wife

Post by gm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:57 pm

thanks for your quick reply. Yes she has completed the 3 yr requirement. I plan to apply for BC first and after approval apply for her as the wife of BC on the basis of 3 yr requirement.
Just curious, is time spent in uk under visit visa count towards the residence requirement? The reason I ask is if thats the case then she will have completed the 5 yr requirement by early next yr and we can apply together.

Thanks & Regards
gm.