ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NON-EEA FAMILY MEMBER OF BRITISH CITIZEN.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mano1010
Newly Registered

NON-EEA FAMILY MEMBER OF BRITISH CITIZEN.

Post by mano1010 » Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:29 pm

Hi,
could someone please explain to me when i am eligible to apply for a British citizenship or permanent residency. I just obtained a residence card last month and my wife is both British and French citizen.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:45 pm

Did you first have a 6-month EEA Family Permit to permit you to move to the UK? If so you can apply for Permanent Residence 5 years after your arrival in the UK using that Permit.

If you did not have an EEA Family Permit, what did you have prior to getting your Residence Card?

You will appreciate that whilst using the EU/EEA route will save you a lot of money in application fees, compared to you getting a spouse visa using UK immigration law, it does mean that you cannot get "settled" status for 5 years, compared to the 2 years that would have applied.
John

JAJ
Australia

Re: NON-EEA FAMILY MEMBER OF BRITISH CITIZEN.

Post by JAJ » Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:41 am

mano1010 wrote:Hi,
could someone please explain to me when i am eligible to apply for a British citizenship or permanent residency. I just obtained a residence card last month and my wife is both British and French citizen.
How long have you lived in the United Kingdom?

mano1010
Newly Registered

non eea family member

Post by mano1010 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:41 pm

thanks for the reply, i visit and leave this country very often, i was on 2 year multiple visiting visa, and never lived in this country.

stedman

Post by stedman » Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:47 pm

If you don't actually reside in the UK, you will not be successful with your naturalization application unless you can prove you have stronger links e.g by living here and spending more time here than abroad. And you need to get ILR first - have you got this yet? What do you mean by a residence card?

I suggest you have a nosey on the IND website, there's a lot of good info there.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:04 am

Since you say that you have a residence card, I am assuming that you have taken the EEA route and hence will have to wait for 5 years for your Permanent Residence.. provided that you show proof that your EEA family member has been exercising treaty rights during that time. That is a grand total of 6 years before you will be eligibile for the citizenship.

But even if you were to get a Spouse Visa under the UK immigration laws, you still will need a minimum of 3 years residency before getting the citizenship.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Mar 06, 2007 12:13 am

Docterror wrote:Since you say that you have a residence card, I am assuming that you have taken the EEA route and hence will have to wait for 5 years for your Permanent Residence.. provided that you show proof that your EEA family member has been exercising treaty rights during that time. That is a grand total of 6 years before you will be eligibile for the citizenship.
He wouldn't have to wait the extra year after PR if the EEA spouse is also a British citizen.

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:08 am

Yes! And thanks JAJ for picking that up.

mano1010
Newly Registered

Post by mano1010 » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:29 pm

Thank you everybody for your contributions, i must say, the picture is a lot clearer. And thank you all once again.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:45 pm

Man1010, i don't think you have actually answered my question :-
Did you first have a 6-month EEA Family Permit to permit you to move to the UK?
I am just trying to work out when your 5 years started before you can get your Permanent Residence.
John

mano1010
Newly Registered

Post by mano1010 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:07 pm

sorry John, i never had a six months eea permit, i had a 2 year visitors visa and i came in last on september and got my residence card in january.