ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years long residence applications

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

AMH

Re: Wohooooooooooooooooooooooo

Post by AMH » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:40 pm

Congratulations!!

Finally you must be glad
Please advise your timeline
naqeeb wrote:Shukr Alhamdulilah - Going Mental and still cant believe It has finally arrived after being refused on my last student visa, losing my appeal and then losing in the upper tribunal as well. Cant wait to see my father and rest of my family

Never give up hope.........................

Patience bears virtue and this blog has been tremendously helpful in everyday and been checking at least twice

received email from UKBA to mp
" A decision has been made on Mr Raja case today and has been sent by special delivery. The decision and his documents have been dispatched to his solicitor which we have on record.

To note, Mr Raja applied for indefinite leave (ILR), however he did not provide us with a Knowledge of Life in the UK certificate (KOL). I am told that Mr Raja had planned to sit the test in September 2012 and had instructed us that he would then forward the certificate to be linked to his application, this was not done and we therefore have no record that he has passed that test.

Due to the urgency of his case he has been refused ILR but granted two years Leave to Remain. At any point during those two years, if he can provide the KOL certificate and he meets the rest of the relevant Immigration Rules, he can re-apply for ILR.

Mr Raja's Biometric Residence Permit will follow by separate cover. These are produced for us by the DVLA and their service standard is to issue the cards within 10 working days, although I believe they often arrive much sooner.

Mr Raja should be able to leave the UK without the BRP but may have problems re-entering. If he chooses to travel before he receives his card he should ensure that he takes his letter detailing his grant of leave.

Kind regards,

MP Account Manager Team

I did pass my KOL test and sent the certificate and i think they have lost it but i have a copy and when i come back dont know what i should do. But still very happy as i asked my MP to withdraw my case to travel urgently
7A8M6H

suzuka23

Post by suzuka23 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Hi,

Could someone update the timeline?
biometrics letter received:14/02/2013
biometrics sent: 15/02/2013

Thanks

naqeeb

Post by naqeeb » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:59 pm

Application Category: Set (O) 10 years long residency
Application Sent: 22/08/2012
Acknowledgment dated: 23/08/2012
Biometric Invitation dated: 14/11/2012
Biometric Given on: 24/11/2012
Evidence Sent to Mp to Expedite: 9/01/2013
Case Expedited: 23/01/2013
ILR Refused: Stating no Knowledge Of Life In Uk (KOL)Test Certificate - Which was sent separate from Application. So Granted 2 Years Limited Leave to remain and can apply for ILR again with KOL certificate

BRP Received on: Waiting

Damanishallo or any one else, do i need to give KOL test again and i assume i have to pay the fees and go through this again. But still have a passed KOL test certificate copy. It states i cant appeal their decision but apply again later.

Finally you must be glad
naqeeb wrote:Shukr Alhamdulilah - Going Mental and still cant believe It has finally arrived after being refused on my last student visa, losing my appeal and then losing in the upper tribunal as well. Cant wait to see my father and rest of my family

Patience bears virtue and this blog has been tremendously helpful in everyday and been checking at least twice

" A decision has been made on Mr Raja case today and has been sent by special delivery. The decision and his documents have been dispatched to his solicitor which we have on record.

To note, Mr Raja applied for indefinite leave (ILR), however he did not provide us with a Knowledge of Life in the UK certificate (KOL). I am told that Mr Raja had planned to sit the test in September 2012 and had instructed us that he would then forward the certificate to be linked to his application, this was not done and we therefore have no record that he has passed that test.

Due to the urgency of his case he has been refused ILR but granted two years Leave to Remain. At any point during those two years, if he can provide the KOL certificate and he meets the rest of the relevant Immigration Rules, he can re-apply for ILR.

Mr Raja's Biometric Residence Permit will follow by separate cover. These are produced for us by the DVLA and their service standard is to issue the cards within 10 working days, although I believe they often arrive much sooner.

Mr Raja should be able to leave the UK without the BRP but may have problems re-entering. If he chooses to travel before he receives his card he should ensure that he takes his letter detailing his grant of leave.

Kind regards,

MP Account Manager Team

I did pass my KOL test and sent the certificate and i think they have lost it but i have a copy and when i come back dont know what i should do. But still very happy as i asked my MP to withdraw my case to travel urgently
[/quote]

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:58 pm

@naqeeb,

Why did you not do KOL test before making ILR application,?, as HO does not always guarantees that further submission will be linked with your application in time.

Its valid forever. Unless by the time you make new ILR application; there are further additions in KOL test then you may have to repay & resit the test.
Information provided is general guidance and does not constitute legal advice.

Spidery_thread
Member of Standing

Post by Spidery_thread » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 pm

Dear All,

I finally received my Biometric ID Card along with the family, yesterday.

DX was supposed to deliver on Wednesday but proven once again to be an inefficient courier.

We are lucky to have our BIC's within 3 days of receiving the decision.

Good luck to all of those who are still waiting.

AMH

Post by AMH » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:15 pm

It's unfortunate that HO lost your KOL certificate! Home office don't accept copies and they won't go checking with KOL your reference number. Even the test centre at which you took your test may not be able to issue you another certificate
Unfortunately you need to take again KOL and reapply SET (O) again and pay the fee!!
naqeeb wrote:Application Category: Set (O) 10 years long residency
ILR Refused: Stating no Knowledge Of Life In Uk (KOL)Test Certificate - Which was sent separate from Application. So Granted 2 Years Limited Leave to remain and can apply for ILR again with KOL certificate

Damanishallo or any one else, do i need to give KOL test again and i assume i have to pay the fees and go through this again. But still have a passed KOL test certificate copy. It states i cant appeal their decision but apply again later.

Finally you must be glad

Kind regards,

MP Account Manager Team

[/quote]
7A8M6H

vrnarla
Newly Registered

please add me to skydrive

Post by vrnarla » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:27 pm

HI, AS A NEWBIE, THESE ARE MY DETAILS. PLEASE UPDATE THE SKYDRIVE.

Type of application: SET(O)
Type of residency: 10 year residency
Date Applied: 21/09/2012
Type of payment: Debit Card
Date they took the money: 25/09/2012
Date of the acknowledgement letter: 24/09/2012
Biometric letter received: 12/12/2012
Biometrics done: 20/12/2012
Decision taken: pending
Documents Received : pending

REGARDS,
VIKRAM

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:09 pm

naqeeb wrote:I did pass my KOL test and sent the certificate and i think they have lost it but i have a copy and when i come back dont know what i should do. But still very happy as i asked my MP to withdraw my case to travel urgently
I feel sorry for you, but it could've been even worst had they lost anything more important. I've recently read olukemiff's story which is more or less similar to your's.

First thing first lodge an official complaint with the UKBA.
Phone: 0870 241 6523
Fax: 020 8760 4310
Email: ind.cu@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Address: Complaints Unit,
Border and Immigration Agency,
PO Box 1384,
Croydon,
Surrey
CR9 3YJ

Read few more suggestions elsewhere.

May be if you try hard, you might get a compensation as someone had got it in the past.
My opinion is, if you can somehow prove that you've sent the documents (may be mentioning it in a covering letter), then you should be able to win it without any further fee.
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:38 pm

AMH wrote:It's unfortunate that HO lost your KOL certificate! Home office don't accept copies and they won't go checking with KOL your reference number. Even the test centre at which you took your test may not be able to issue you another certificate
Unfortunately you need to take again KOL and reapply SET (O) again and pay the fee!!
naqeeb wrote:Application Category: Set (O) 10 years long residency

Finally you must be glad

Kind regards,

MP Account Manager Team

[/quote]

Once upon a time they also lost my police registration paper with my student visa application, and cheekily demanded me to send it to them as if I did not provide it. When I made a complaint through the international student adviser within my university, they just made a refund for obtaining a new one. I know others who never seen their passports again after sending it to BA. If you passed the LIUK test and have papers for it, they cannot make you do it again. Get in touch with them with a letter demanding them to rectify their errors. I believe they cannot evade this as if it was your fault.

amjadleeds
Member of Standing

ILR on basis of ten year rules, Please advice me in my case

Post by amjadleeds » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Hi everyone

I have applied ILR on basis of ten year rules, in OcT 25 , bio metric done 15 December , unfortunate solicitor filled electronic form forget to take sign on section ten of bio metric, HO send letter sign form and send back on 13 January 2013. My application is under process, my tier1 visa going to expire middle of March, very stress situation.

Please give advice on my case, I am in this country 10 year 10 months now, my kids with me nine years. First i came on 26 April 2002, after that i got extension on 30 March 2003 till 30th March 2006. During 2005 immigration case made against me working allegation , case start in april 2005 , my leave was not revoke due they want to revoke whole family leave, but they not hold their passport, case went to court , I got right of appeal during JR, my leave expired 30 March 2006, my solicitor applied for extension 10 days late, forget due to case was in court. They not gave me extension due to two reasons one my case was in court, second 10 days out of time application, but during december 2006 HO took the case back in front of Judge due to clear evidence that i was not breach of working hours, and gave me letter that if you made any application within 28 days HO will consider, which they did, and they paid me ex gratia payment too as compensation. Now my question near to me even i applied in 2006 ten day late, but my case was in court, after that they took case back i regulise , please advice me either I apply for extension for tier1 for save side, or even ILR refuse due to any reason, I will get chance to extent visa at that stage?
As private life section , my family with me nearly 9 years, I have my own house here, Currently teaching in college, qualified teacher, two kids born here, two kids died here etc

Please your advice and comments will be really appreciate, with respect of my particular situation.

Regards
amjad leeds

naqeeb

Post by naqeeb » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks Mate - Will Certainly do that. Also I have been granted 2 Years limited leave to remain to pass the KOL test, does this type of Visa contain any work restrictions or dependent restrictions as nothing is mentioned in the letter of decision.
Damanisshallo wrote:
naqeeb wrote:I did pass my KOL test and sent the certificate and i think they have lost it but i have a copy and when i come back dont know what i should do. But still very happy as i asked my MP to withdraw my case to travel urgently
I feel sorry for you, but it could've been even worst had they lost anything more important. I've recently read olukemiff's story which is more or less similar to your's.

First thing first lodge an official complaint with the UKBA.
Phone: 0870 241 6523
Fax: 020 8760 4310
Email: ind.cu@homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
Address: Complaints Unit,
Border and Immigration Agency,
PO Box 1384,
Croydon,
Surrey
CR9 3YJ

Read few more suggestions elsewhere.

May be if you try hard, you might get a compensation as someone had got it in the past.
My opinion is, if you can somehow prove that you've sent the documents (may be mentioning it in a covering letter), then you should be able to win it without any further fee.

gingerbread
Newly Registered

Post by gingerbread » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:10 am

Hi all,
My indefinite leave application was rejected. The letter was dated 15 February 2013. I do have the right to appeal, but they are refusing me on the fact that I have not lived in the UK continuously over the last ten years.
To share a bit of my history, I first moved to the UK when I was twelve in 2002. Then, when I was fifteen, my father got a job transfer to South Africa. I lived with my parents there for less than six months. A gun crime prompted me to return to the UK where I attended boarding school. I then graduated from secondary school and went on to attend University, which I completed this past year. Part of my degree course mandated that I live abroad for a year. I studied 'international business' and so to get the 'international' part of that title, I lived in South Korea for a year. I sent a letter to the Home Office detailing all of this, and had letters drafted from my parents and University confirming why I left the UK for certain periods of time.
I am confused, because there is not a single day where I didn't have valid leave to stay in the UK over the last ten years. I realize, I was out of the country for a significant amount of time, but a lot of that was due to circumstances out of my control. (Ie. mandated by the University, by my boarding school where students weren't allowed to stay on campus for a few weekends a year, and as a result of my father's occupation).

Anyway, from all of you, if there is any advice you could give me concerning the process of appealing, I would really appreciate it. I am only twenty-two, and as I have spent most of my 'formative years' here, I am pretty shocked they rejected me. I would have thought that would be a violation of my human rights or something. Anyway, I am at a loss, and any help would be fantastic.

Dik
Newly Registered

10 yr long stay

Post by Dik » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:15 pm

I am very sorry to hear that your application for indefinite leave to remain has been rejected. From the infomation you have given it appears there is not very good prospects of you succeeding on appeal. In particular I note you were not given a right to appeal and therefore cannot appeal. You appear to have more than 18 months cumulative absences from the UK in the past 10 years and you have spent more than 6moths outside the UK during that time. You do not therefore qualify for settlement under the long stay category. The decision to refuse your application in my view is right. However you may qualify for private life under the long stay category if you are below 25 years and have spent more that half of your age in the UK. I note you are 22yrs and have only been in the UK for 10 years. You therefore do not qualify for private life under the long residence route. Since you spent one year outside the UK even if you have spent more than half of your life in the UK you will still not qualify for private life because your one year absence will be discounted from the time that you have spent in the UK. It does not appear to me that you have a good case, I am afraid. I will suggest that you look for an alternative way to regularise your stay in the UK. I am unable to offer any suggestions at this time. I wish you all the best.
gingerbread wrote:Hi all,
My indefinite leave application was rejected. The letter was dated 15 February 2013. I do have the right to appeal, but they are refusing me on the fact that I have not lived in the UK continuously over the last ten years.
To share a bit of my history, I first moved to the UK when I was twelve in 2002. Then, when I was fifteen, my father got a job transfer to South Africa. I lived with my parents there for less than six months. A gun crime prompted me to return to the UK where I attended boarding school. I then graduated from secondary school and went on to attend University, which I completed this past year. Part of my degree course mandated that I live abroad for a year. I studied 'international business' and so to get the 'international' part of that title, I lived in South Korea for a year. I sent a letter to the Home Office detailing all of this, and had letters drafted from my parents and University confirming why I left the UK for certain periods of time.
I am confused, because there is not a single day where I didn't have valid leave to stay in the UK over the last ten years. I realize, I was out of the country for a significant amount of time, but a lot of that was due to circumstances out of my control. (Ie. mandated by the University, by my boarding school where students weren't allowed to stay on campus for a few weekends a year, and as a result of my father's occupation).

Anyway, from all of you, if there is any advice you could give me concerning the process of appealing, I would really appreciate it. I am only twenty-two, and as I have spent most of my 'formative years' here, I am pretty shocked they rejected me. I would have thought that would be a violation of my human rights or something. Anyway, I am at a loss, and any help would be fantastic.

bobby80gh

Post by bobby80gh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:36 pm

There is a similar incident which was shared on the forum a couple of months ago. He was initially rejected because he had spent most of his holidays abroad with his parents which resulted in his absence exceeding the limit.

He asked for reconsideration and the decision was overturn and he was granted the ILR. I believe there is a possibility that they can overturn your decision as well.

Moderators, can you refer this guy to that particular case I am referring and can ask for advice from that person?

bobby80gh

Post by bobby80gh » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:43 pm

ILR Granted.
Type: 10 years long resident
Application date: 13/08/2012
Bio invitation: 09/11/12
Bio given: 11/11/12
Approval letter: 14/02/2013
BRP: still waiting

I had CCJ from my university which was not declared in my previous applications because I was not aware of it. I declared it this time and sent a covering letter with evidence of payment.

let_koko

Re: 10 yr long stay

Post by let_koko » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:43 pm

@ Gingerbread, its sad to hear that your ILR application was refused, i can only advise you to seek legal advise as you have full right of appeal unlike what Dik said.

@ Dik, you might be right, however, it seems you did not read what gingerbread wrote carefully, in gingerbread's post, it is clearly stated that he has right of appeal

If i were you gingerbread, I will go on with the appeal and get as much document as possible to back your case up, you never know
Best of luck

Dik wrote:I am very sorry to hear that your application for indefinite leave to remain has been rejected. From the infomation you have given it appears there is not very good prospects of you succeeding on appeal. In particular I note you were not given a right to appeal and therefore cannot appeal. You appear to have more than 18 months cumulative absences from the UK in the past 10 years and you have spent more than 6moths outside the UK during that time. You do not therefore qualify for settlement under the long stay category. The decision to refuse your application in my view is right. However you may qualify for private life under the long stay category if you are below 25 years and have spent more that half of your age in the UK. I note you are 22yrs and have only been in the UK for 10 years. You therefore do not qualify for private life under the long residence route. Since you spent one year outside the UK even if you have spent more than half of your life in the UK you will still not qualify for private life because your one year absence will be discounted from the time that you have spent in the UK. It does not appear to me that you have a good case, I am afraid. I will suggest that you look for an alternative way to regularise your stay in the UK. I am unable to offer any suggestions at this time. I wish you all the best.

AMH

Post by AMH » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:11 pm

Good to see Aug applicants decisions are coming on!
Congratulations!!
After 6months of long wait, you must be pleased
bobby80gh wrote:ILR Granted.
Type: 10 years long resident
Application date: 13/08/2012
Bio invitation: 09/11/12
Bio given: 11/11/12
Approval letter: 14/02/2013
BRP: still waiting

I had CCJ from my university which was not declared in my previous applications because I was not aware of it. I declared it this time and sent a covering letter with evidence of payment.
7A8M6H

saanju9
Member of Standing

Post by saanju9 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:01 pm

looks like its time for our August applicants...

yeeyyy.... tighten up you seat belts and get ready for the rolla costaaaaa

smshad

Post by smshad » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:29 pm

Sorry to hear about your refusal.
As per UKBA guidelines, if a caseworker has to take a refusal decision he/she has to consult a senior caseworker as well. So your application must have been reviewed by at least two case workers. Caseworkers follow the rule of thumb and they don’t show any consideration and do not use their own judgment in exceptional circumstances such as yours.

Best thing you could do is appeal through a good and experienced immigration lawyer. Beware of solicitors as well and do read the immigration rules yourself before you see any of the lawyer.
Best of luck.
Shad.

amjadleeds
Member of Standing

Moving direction set HO / 3d application

Post by amjadleeds » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:57 pm

Hi everyone

I applied ILR on basis of ten year rule. In the past during immigration matter HO set moving direction, actual leave was not revoked, case went to court, in a meantime leave to remain expired. It was not granting due to apply 10 days late plus case was in high court against moving direction, after two year HO took the case back and paid ex gratia payment too.

Please advice me in this case section 3d apply in my case or not , I have really stress, because my application ILR is under process, but not sure either will get or not. If not due to any reason I am on tier1 general can HO allow me to extend the visa after decision as section 3c as it will extend by virtue.

Your advice and comments will be highly appreciate.

Regards
amjad leeds

RANA-ALI

Post by RANA-ALI » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:40 am

Hi

I have recently been refused Indefinite leave to remain on the grounds that I have broken the period of 10 year continous residence. I have spent over the 18 months out of the UK over my 10 year stay in the UK (from August 2001- August 2011) with my absences totalling 24.6 months. I met all other criterias.

It is really frustrating as I first entered the UK as a young student when I was 13 due to my Father deciding to send me a (very expensive) British boarding school where I spent 5 yrs of my life. I then moved to University in Bath and spent a further 4 years and now I have right to be in the country on a post-study work visa expiring in sept 2012. I have never claimed state benefits, fully integrated myself into society (people are very surprised to here I am not English born when they speak to me)and have only contributed postively to society, not to mention the huge tutition fees I've paid throught my education here.

I have really spent my formative years here in this country and consider it my home. All my friends are here, my job is here, my girlfriend is here, my dreams and aspirations are here, my life is here and I will find it gut-wrenching if I have to leave when my post-study work visa expires next year.

During my time as a student I would always go away on summer, christmas and easter holidays to visit family and friends across the globe. I would go on holiday for around 2.5months every year in the 10 years I have been here and never once thought of the consequences this will have on my eligibility to apply for ILR.

I find it rediculous that some people have been granted leave to remain and even citizenship when they can hardly speak the language yet alone contribute to society and the economy just because they have had a fewer less absences from the country.

Sorry for blabbing on and on about my situation I know many of you have your problems etc but I guess what i eventually wanted to come to was to ask if anybody knows or has had a similar experience and kindly advice me on what steps I can take from this point?? Is this criteria of not having spent 18 months outside the UK flexible on a case-by-case basis?

I am considering writing to my local MP, or getting an immigration solicitor to review my case to see what options are available to me. In the refusal letter they said that as I still have right to remain in the UK till sept 2012 so I am not entitled to appeal the refusal.... any advice on that?

Thank you

RANA-ALI

Post by RANA-ALI » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:43 am

This senario is so similar with ginger bread , the guy with above senario got ilr in the end his nick is

hendrickache
Contact above person he might b able to help u out
Good look

Damanisshallo
Respected Guru

Post by Damanisshallo » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:54 am

RANA-ALI wrote: hendrickache
Contact above person he might b able to help u out
Good look
Read hendrickache's success story
Statutory Warning:Members are advised to make thorough inquiries before acting upon any description displayed on my behalf.
Skydrives, Templates

manish mehta
Newly Registered

Refusal

Post by manish mehta » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:09 am

Hi to all

Sorry to say everyone i got my refusal letter yesterday.I went to speak with my solicitors regarding decisions and make an appeal lodge. I do not know what can i do?

Applied 6th July 2012
Ack --- 28 th July
Bio---- 11th September.
Refusal letter--- 15.02.2013

Struggling whole life...
Living with honesty and education and at the end getting this sort of reward....

naqeeb

refusals

Post by naqeeb » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:50 am

Seems home office is in a refusal mode now, 5 Refusals in a week including myself. Can anyone confirm that with "Leave to Remain" visa granted for 2 years, is there any work or dependent restrictions on it.

Thanks in advance

Damanishallo u are a legend, thanks for ur advice complaint letter on the way knocking the home office doors