ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

anyone applied with with Company secretary as refree

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

destiniation_london

anyone applied with with Company secretary as refree

Post by destiniation_london » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Anyone applied with 'Company secretary' of a limited company as referee, please share the experience, did you had to give another reference.

I thought they should be ok but just wanted to ensure myself if anyone has successfully applied. I think company secretary should be grouped under 'Director/Manager/Personnal Officer of VAT limited company'

trs2011
- thin ice -

Post by trs2011 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 pm

That is not required but the UKBA only contact your referees if they have some doubts about your identity so you could get away with it but you won't when you apply for a passport . A secretary must have some qualifications like accountant educated to degree level or masters etc not just a general secretary with some low level qualifications . As i said , for BC you could get away with it

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:08 pm

trs2011 wrote:not just a general secretary with some low level qualifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_secretary

A company secretary is generally not a "general secretary with some low level qualifications".

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:52 pm

aledeniz wrote:
trs2011 wrote:not just a general secretary with some low level qualifications
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Company_secretary

A company secretary is generally not a "general secretary with some low level qualifications".
Yeah, I agree Company secretary is somewhat important designation in the company as they are responsible for ensuring the company operates within the law.

Do you think company secretary referee should be fine as it is also the personnal office of the limited company, isn't it?

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:46 pm

destiniation_london wrote:Do you think company secretary referee should be fine as it is also the personnel office of the limited company, isn't it?
Surprisingly, official paperwork from the UKBA doesn't specifically mentions the Company Secretary in the list of acceptable professional persons: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary, where we can find instead:
Director/Manager/Personnel
Officer of a VAT
registered Company

Chairman/director of
limited company

Manager/Personnel officer
(of limited company)
I am actually surprised from the lack of inclusion of the Company Secretary in that list, as it is an Officer of the Company, like the Directors, thereby authorized to run and represent the Company affairs and interests, while Managers or Personal Officers may be necessarily not.

That said, many company secretaries are qualified solicitors or accountants on their own right, many will be even company directors (it is not unusual for a Financial Director or a Personnel Director or a General Counsel to double as Company Secretary), some may be members of the Institute of Chartered Secretaries.

destiniation_london

Post by destiniation_london » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:45 pm

But, my referee is actually an IT consultant and for some business reasons he has made himself 'Company secretary' and his wife as 'Director'.

I'm guessing it to be fine, I've asked the question with Citizenship support team and am awaiting their reply.