ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

TIMELINE AFTER NATURALISATION APPLICATION SUBMISSION

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lemess
Member of Standing

Post by lemess » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:25 pm

Nataliya wrote:
True, but I never thought Ukraine was a "high-risk" country.
That was before Borat came out :D

Desperado2006
Newly Registered

Post by Desperado2006 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:49 pm

certain nationalities take longer than others because of security checks.
Dawie, Are you saying that they don't do security checks on certain nationalities. I thought they do for everybody regardless of the nationality. I can understand the delay if they write to organisations in those countries. But they check with the organisations in this country.

In my case, the checks had been done 4 months ago. I can't understand why it takes 4 months to get a decision.

Nataliya
Newly Registered

Post by Nataliya » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:31 pm

lemess wrote:That was before Borat came out :D
Was the Borat you watched from Ukraine? Hmmm.. interesting. Someone needs to brush up his geography :)

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:44 pm

Desperado2006 wrote:

certain nationalities take longer than others because of security checks.
Dawie, Are you saying that they don't do security checks on certain nationalities. I thought they do for everybody regardless of the nationality. I can understand the delay if they write to organisations in those countries. But they check with the organisations in this country.

In my case, the checks had been done 4 months ago. I can't understand why it takes 4 months to get a decision.
There is no doubt that when foreigners apply for visas to come to the UK, certain nationalities take longer to be processed than others because of security checks. Particularly countries like Russia, Iraq, Iran, etc.

What I'm saying is that this principle could, and probably does, apply when doing background checks on foreigners applying for naturalisation. The length of time these checks would take could depend heavily on how much co-operation the Home Office receives from the government of the person concerned. Countries with particularly troubled histories with the UK, like for example ex-Soviet countries, various Middle Eastern countries, etc are likely to take longer because the Home Office perceives the risk to be greater and therefore they probably do more extensive background checks.

It's no coincedence that most of the people who have reported quick turnaround times for their naturalisation applications appear to be from Commonwealth countries.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

SK1

Post by SK1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Guys/Gals,

Quick question: Will the HO stop assessing my Naturalisation application now that I have asked for some of my documents to be returned?

I need my passport, wife's passport and marriage certificate back and the helpdesk said it shouldn't be a problem and that if I needed the documents back within 2 weeks, I should ask for it now. Which I did, yesterday!!!

Thanks

SK1

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:14 pm

The time a naturalisation application could also be affected by the level of computerisation of the country's Home Office or equivalent. It may simply take some countries longer to get the details the UK Home Office requests.

Thats assuming they even check, of course! No-one seems to know for sure.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten

Desperado2006
Newly Registered

Post by Desperado2006 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:30 pm

It's no coincedence that most of the people who have reported quick turnaround times for their naturalisation applications appear to be from Commonwealth countries.
But....I'm from a Commonwealth country. :cry:

tdpff3

Post by tdpff3 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:40 pm

In my case I applied with my wife & Son. I have been living in UK 12 years (6 student + 4 WP + 2 ILR) and paid my taxes for all the years that I have been working
Essentially there are three applicants in one application and as you explained your requirements seems complete. I still don't understand why there isn't any decision after 11 months? Can I ask why did you apply after two years of ILR? One year is the minimum requirement to qualify.

Desperado2006
Newly Registered

Post by Desperado2006 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:21 pm

It took me 2 years for no reason actually. I was 15 days short for the deadline of the applications without the test. Then had to wait few months for the test as my wife was pregnant & she was going through the morning sickness period (the period that you get the blame for everything :) ). So the time flew before you know, two years gone.

SK1

Post by SK1 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:36 pm

UPDATE:

Postal or NCS: Postal
Date of submission or posting : 20 Feb 07 (received by HO on 21/02/07)
CRITERIA - 3 yr stay (spouse of BC)
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 26 February 2007
Date on acknowledgement Letter: 26 February 2007
Date of receipt of acknowledgement Letter: 09 March 2007
Date of receipt of approval : Awaiting
Date of Ceremony: Awaiting
Date of appln. for passport ? N/A
Method used ? N/A
Date of Receipt? N/A

tdpff3

Post by tdpff3 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:42 pm

If you don't mind asking what is the date on the letter of acknowledgement? Just curious to know how much delay is attributed to HO mailroom in posting the letters. I guess initimation letters are sent by second class postage.

SK1

Post by SK1 » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:55 am

tdpff3 wrote:
If you don't mind asking what is the date on the letter of acknowledgement? Just curious to know how much delay is attributed to HO mailroom in posting the letters. I guess initimation letters are sent by second class postage.
No problem, the letter was dated 26 February 2007. It took longer to reach me than I expected. Don't know if it was a delay on their side or Royal Mail delaying getting it to me?

Then again, I asked for some of my documents back (I need it for something else in the meantime) last Tuesday and when I called the helpdesk the Wednesday, they said it had already been sent back and by Friday morning I signed for it at home. That was by courier obviously.

SK1

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:15 pm

if one wants to apply for naturalisation, does he/she pay the 200+68 before the 1st of april and will pay 575+68 on and after the 1st of april.

is there a rush for NCS service now that the new fees are out?

anybody knows if there is an NCS around london open on saturday?

music
Newly Registered

Post by music » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:04 pm

rogerroger wrote:if one wants to apply for naturalisation, does he/she pay the 200+68 before the 1st of april and will pay 575+68 on and after the 1st of april.

is there a rush for NCS service now that the new fees are out?

anybody knows if there is an NCS around london open on saturday?
HI, THERE

CAN YOU TELL ME WHAT THIS 68 POUNDS FOR PLEASE.

rogerroger
Member of Standing

Post by rogerroger » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:15 pm

this is the additional 68 pounds for NCS processing(?) that one needs to pay.

SK1

Post by SK1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:44 pm

rogerroger wrote:if one wants to apply for naturalisation, does he/she pay the 200+68 before the 1st of april and will pay 575+68 on and after the 1st of april.
Yep, the new proposed fees will be effective from 01/04/2007. If you qualify NOW to apply for Naturalisation and have already passed "The Life in the UK" test, then you can apply before the 01 April.
rogerroger wrote:is there a rush for NCS service now that the new fees are out?
Not sure, where I live there's only 1 NCS which services a good few towns, so they always busy and I didn't wait to get an appointment. I submitted mine via the post. But using NCS can greatly reduce your application processing time, use them if they not fully booked.
rogerroger wrote:anybody knows if there is an NCS around london open on saturday?
I not based in London, so I don't know. Don't they operate only Monday to Friday? Check on the HO website for local NCS in London.
http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applyi ... nality/ncs

Hope it helps.

SK1

SK1

Post by SK1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:49 pm

rogerroger wrote:this is the additional 68 pounds for NCS processing(?) that one needs to pay.
Rogerroger,

The application fee is £200 and an additional £68 for the Citizenship Ceremony fee (which they will re-imburse if your application is unsuccessful).

If you use the NCS (depending on which one) they charge another amount for that. Contact the NCS you want to use and ask them how much they charge for their services.

Regards

SK1

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Mon Mar 12, 2007 2:02 pm

Here is what I have paid so far to obtain citizenship:

Citizenship Study Guide: £10
Citizenship test: £35
NCS Charge: £35
Application Fee: £200
Citizenship Ceremony (not optional and not refundable if you choose a private ceremony): £68
Private Citizenship Ceremony (optional, but couldn't wait): £75
Passport (1 week, jumbo size, fast track plus secure delivery of supporting documents): £94

Grand total: £517

Like everything else in life, they never tell you about the extras.

Advertising that applying for citizenship "only" costs £200 is like when travel agents advertise air tickets without the taxes included in the price, and just as annoying. Luckily I'm able to afford it, but there are a lot of hard-working immigrants who can't.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

SK1

Post by SK1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:48 pm

Dawie wrote:Advertising that applying for citizenship "only" costs £200 is like when travel agents advertise air tickets without the taxes included in the price, and just as annoying. Luckily I'm able to afford it, but there are a lot of hard-working immigrants who can't.
Dawie,

You are soooo right. Anyways how did your trip go? Did you re-enter on your SA passport with your Naturalisation Certificate? Should probably put this in the appropriate thread.

SK1

psun
Newly Registered

Post by psun » Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:23 pm

My experience :

NCS or Postal : Postal
Date of submission or posting : Dec 19th 2007.
CRITERIA - 5 yr stay (4 + 1 yr ILR) : 4 years on WP + 1 yr ILR
Date of debit of debit/credit card : Dec 28th 2006.
Date of receipt of acknowledgement : Jan 14th 2007
Date of receipt of approval : March 4th 2007.

Seems to me postal application takes long to process.

PK1
Newly Registered

Post by PK1 » Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:28 pm

Hello guys

Here's my time line...didnt expect it to be so quick...NCS route is definitely much quicker.

Postal or NCS: NCS (appointment on 18/02)
Date of submission or posting : 19 Feb 07
CRITERIA - 4yr WP + 1 yr ILR
Date of debit of debit/credit card: N/A - Paid by Postal Order
Date on acknowledgement Letter: 26 February 2007
Date of receipt of acknowledgement Letter: 03 March 2007
Date of approval : 05 March 2007
Date of receipt of approval : 10 March 2007
Date of Ceremony: 22/03
Method used ? N/A
Date of Receipt? N/A

My spouse will be applying for BC as well on the basis of my citzenship + 3yrs in country , does she need to send (or take to the NCS)
my original naturalization certificate or just a copy and the naturalization reference??

Cheers

PK1
Last edited by PK1 on Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MightyMouse
Newly Registered

Post by MightyMouse » Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:03 pm

Postal or NCS: NCS
where: Liverpool
Date of submission or posting : 5 Mar 07
CRITERIA - 3Yr Student Visa, 2 Yr Work Permit (spouse), 4 months ILR (Spouse)
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 7 Mar 07
Date on acknowledgement Letter: Awaiting
Date of receipt of acknowledgement Letter: Awaiting
Date of receipt of approval : Awaiting
Date of Ceremony: Awaiting
Method used ? N/A
Date of Receipt? N/A

Hi,

Ive Got a question?

My wife is currently Chinese (peoples republic)? Does anybody have any experience of Chinese applications? Would you say they are similiar with respect to the general speed of the NCS applications. My wifes application is very simple, wrt to a long history of getting fleeced off the HO for visas. She has always went for same day service for visas and has never had a problem.

Thanks

omwabo
Newly Registered

Post by omwabo » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:44 pm

Postal or NCS: NCS (appointment on 07/03)
Date of submission or posting : 08 Mar 07
CRITERIA - 4yr WP + 1 yr ILR
Date of debit of debit/credit card: credit card
Date on acknowledgement Letter: 14 Mar 07
Date of receipt of acknowledgement Letter: 14 Mar 07
Date of approval : Waiting
Date of receipt of approval : Waiting
Date of Ceremony: Waiting
Method used ? N/A
Date of Receipt? N/A

darksquid

Post by darksquid » Sun Mar 18, 2007 8:47 pm

I've just returned from two weeks holiday, and I had a wonderful present awaiting me on my return - my approval letter!

Postal or NCS: NCS East Kilbride
Date of submission or posting : 9 Feb 07
Criteria: 3 yrs spouse visa
Nationality: American
Date of debit of debit/credit card: 17 Feb 07
Date on acknowledgement Letter: 16 Feb 07 (before they took my money!)
Date of receipt of acknowledgement Letter: 26 Feb 2007 (10 days!)
Date of approval : 6 Mar 07
Date of receipt of approval : Not sure - it was here when I returned from holiday!
Date of Ceremony: 23 Mar 07 (private ceremony)
Date of appln. for passport ? waiting
Method used ? waiting
Date of Receipt? waiting
Fixer of Old Stuff

tekaweni

Post by tekaweni » Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:12 pm

Darksquid - congrats - a wonderful pressent indeed!

My son has just applied for his naturalisation, aiming to beat the new fees at the end of the month.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always gotten