ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Loosing British Nationality due to Tax issues

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

alexanoon
Newly Registered

Loosing British Nationality due to Tax issues

Post by alexanoon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:11 am

Hi Guys, since my question is regarding British Nationality i thought I will post this here.

I am in a dilemma, I have naturalized as a BC recently. I work as a contractor and all my taxes were up to date as of end of last year. I have been offered a job in Hong Kong (contract says 5 years) and I am not sure when/if I will be back in the UK again long term.

I owe the tax man about 20k in Self assesmernt. If I was to pay around 12k and leave without paying the balance 8k, is there a chance the HO/HMRC can create problems is terms of my passport or when i apply for passports for my children.

Also what would the "backlash" be if I was to do sucha thing. I have asked HMRC to allow me to pay over a ferw months but they have said no, which doesnt help.
This is not something I want to do but something I might be forced to do.

Can people on the forum please advise me on the repercussions if I was to leave without paying the taxes.

I have paid Corporation tax and VAT in full an dup to date.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated
alexa

alexanoon
Newly Registered

Re: Loosing British Nationality due to Tax issues

Post by alexanoon » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 am

Sorry guys bumping the post up again
alexanoon wrote:Hi Guys, since my question is regarding British Nationality i thought I will post this here.

I am in a dilemma, I have naturalized as a BC recently. I work as a contractor and all my taxes were up to date as of end of last year. I have been offered a job in Hong Kong (contract says 5 years) and I am not sure when/if I will be back in the UK again long term.

I owe the tax man about 20k in Self assesmernt. If I was to pay around 12k and leave without paying the balance 8k, is there a chance the HO/HMRC can create problems is terms of my passport or when i apply for passports for my children.

Also what would the "backlash" be if I was to do sucha thing. I have asked HMRC to allow me to pay over a ferw months but they have said no, which doesnt help.

Can people on the forum please advise me on the repercussions if I was to leave without paying the taxes.

alexa

vks

Re: Loosing British Nationality due to Tax issues

Post by vks » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:29 am

alexanoon wrote:Hi Guys, since my question is regarding British Nationality i thought I will post this here.

alexa
Advise on what? Tax evasion?

If you can't pay in full, then you should talk to HMRC and pay them in part. Talking to an accountant would help.
Regards,
vks

tinux

Post by tinux » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:04 am

I can't believe this:

You want us to say yes go ahead and run away without paying taxes????? you must be joking. the HMRC will bankrupt you if you do not pay and most probably you may be arrested once you land in and charge for tax evasion. nothing to do with being British or not.
PAY WHAT YOU OWE MATE

alexanoon
Newly Registered

Post by alexanoon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:11 am

I hear you, but liek I said I have spoken to HMRC and they are unwilling to bulge, they have said NO to paying in installments, i dont know why. I didnt say I dont want to pay. I am saying HMRC make it difficult for people and they are forced to resort to these measures.

I will pay the self assesment and leave the Corporation tax and VAT which should be around 6-7k, if they cant bulge its there problem not mine.

Also make I dont think 10k tax evasion would put me in the top 2000 list
tinux wrote:I can't believe this:

You want us to say yes go ahead and run away without paying taxes????? you must be joking. the HMRC will bankrupt you if you do not pay and most probably you may be arrested once you land in and charge for tax evasion. nothing to do with being British or not.
PAY WHAT YOU OWE MATE

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:46 am

I will pay the self assesment and leave the Corporation tax and VAT which should be around 6-7k, if they cant bulge its there problem not mine.
So what is your plan? That is, how do you plan to get the funds out of your company, in order that you can pay your personal liability?
John

alexanoon
Newly Registered

Post by alexanoon » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:53 am

John I am overdrawn on my company account anyways. I was thinking not paying the Corporation tax would be the lesser of the two evils.
Its shameful because I asked HMRC that I will pay this over 6-9 months and am happy to pay interest charges for late payment but their response was "pay in full or we will take action" which i feel is very harsh. its not that I dont want to pay i just want some time.

John wrote:
So what is your plan? That is, how do you plan to get the funds out of your company, in order that you can pay your personal liability?

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:04 am

alexanoon, you have not actually answered my question. Again, how do you plan to extract the money from your company to pay your personal liability?

As you will appreciate you and your limited company are two distinct legal persons, and you cannot just steal the company's funds. You need to put documentation in place giving you the right to take the money out of the company, but what documentation? What is your plan?

As regards your dealings with HMRC, is your Accountant involved in those negotiations? If not, why not? The point is that they will have expertise in such negotiations. They might be able to achieve a result that you personally cannot achieve?
If I was to pay around 12k .....
I suggest you pay that forthwith, at least to reduce the 5% penalty that will be applied to tax due 31.01.13 and still outstanding on 01.03.13.
John