ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

They're here - New immigration charges to be announced today

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

They're here - New immigration charges to be announced today

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:39 am

From the IND website, given in the context of another announcement on illegal immigration:

The Home Office will also publish later today to Parliament the responses to the consultation on new visa charges and the charges themselves for those who come to the UK to visit, study, live or work. The new fees will ensure those most benefiting from coming to the UK help pay to enforce the system, while holding down prices for those routes of greatest benefit to the UK such as visitors and students.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutu ... ckbenefits

(at the bottom of the page)

Let's cross our fingers, but the way that that last sentence is worded, it doesn't look particularly promising.

kairos, Dawie...you kids are lucky!

SK1

Re: They're here - New immigration charges to be announced t

Post by SK1 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:04 pm

RobinLondon wrote:From the IND website, given in the context of another announcement on illegal immigration:

The Home Office will also publish later today to Parliament the responses to the consultation on new visa charges and the charges themselves for those who come to the UK to visit, study, live or work. The new fees will ensure those most benefiting from coming to the UK help pay to enforce the system, while holding down prices for those routes of greatest benefit to the UK such as visitors and students.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutu ... ckbenefits

(at the bottom of the page)

Let's cross our fingers, but the way that that last sentence is worded, it doesn't look particularly promising.

kairos, Dawie...you kids are lucky!
It's a good thing I submitted my Naturalisation application 2 weeks ago. I was avoiding paying extra for it.

I hope their new fees aren't going to be as excessive as the NEW fees for immigrants in the US!!!

SK1

RobinLondon
Member of Standing

Here it is...

Post by RobinLondon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:23 pm

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/aboutu ... onresponse

Leave to remain (student): £250 --> £295

Leave to remain (non-student): £335 --> £395

HSMP fee: £315 --> £400
Leave to remain (HSMP): £335 --> £350

Work permit fee: £153 --> £190
Leave to remain (work permit): £335 --> £350

Indefinite leave to remain: £335 --> £750

Naturalisation: £200 --> £575

The philosophy seems to be one that more entitlements carries a higher price. Hence the significant rise in cost for ILR and naturalisation, whilst most other things remain roughly the same. Do note that these are just postal application fees. Premium prices have not yet been released.

This will be my last posting on this forum. Good luck to all with the decisions that you take.

Regards,

RobinLondon

jbinuk

Post by jbinuk » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:55 pm

These new fees are definitely rip-off!! money-making-scheme!!profiteering!! I totally agree that they they've raised the fee for ILR way too high because they are expecting volumes of applications this year..

First, they extended ILR years from 4 to 5 years, so that all immigrant who were about to apply for 4 years ILR and whose FLR were expiring will have to extend their FLR fr another year (500 pounds - will mean millions of revenue)..and then they've introduced 'Life in the UK test' (34 pounds - millions of revenue again) and now doubling the new fees!!! (millions of revenue again) at our (immigrants) expense and not to mention we have been paying taxes as a british citizen and not eligible for benefits for 5 years!!

Since last year, my wife and I have been contemplating of leaving UK for US and I am now very well convinced that it is not worth living here. We've spent enough fortune in paying for visas!

It very frustrating really...

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:34 pm

The new fees will ensure those most benefiting from coming to the UK help pay to enforce the system
I still struggle to see why immigration enforcement is any way the financial responsibility of legal immigrants.
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:38 pm

Dawie wrote:
The new fees will ensure those most benefiting from coming to the UK help pay to enforce the system
I still struggle to see why immigration enforcement is any way the financial responsibility of legal immigrants.
Cause the locals are either too busy drinking beer or watching football or claiming benefits...

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 am

Guys, we are skilled. I have commenced my Canadian Immigration. As an Engineer, i prefer to be a truck driver in Canada with stability and peace of mind, than be here as an Engineer, contemplating every night the next move of HO.
Good luck guys.
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

Markie

Post by Markie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:55 pm

they only want individuals that are here for the short term and not any longer than 5yrs perhaps or even 3 yrs.

good luck papafaith on your next journey...Canadian immigration now runs at approx 40 months..

DavidJ

Post by DavidJ » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:13 pm

jbinuk wrote:These new fees are definitely rip-off!! money-making-scheme!!profiteering!! I totally agree that they they've raised the fee for ILR way too high because they are expecting volumes of applications this year..

First, they extended ILR years from 4 to 5 years, so that all immigrant who were about to apply for 4 years ILR and whose FLR were expiring will have to extend their FLR fr another year (500 pounds - will mean millions of revenue)..and then they've introduced 'Life in the UK test' (34 pounds - millions of revenue again) and now doubling the new fees!!! (millions of revenue again) at our (immigrants) expense and not to mention we have been paying taxes as a british citizen and not eligible for benefits for 5 years!!

Since last year, my wife and I have been contemplating of leaving UK for US and I am now very well convinced that it is not worth living here. We've spent enough fortune in paying for visas!

It very frustrating really...
I think these fees must, along with other aspects of immigration, be against the human rights convention: right to family.

Think. Planning appication for property development - luxury item - not an affair of the heart or family. Involves highly skilled decision making, meetings, plans, notices etc. etc. Cost £265.

Visa for spouse/fiance(e)/partner £500. ILR £750.

They are therefore disproportionately high in relation to other more complex and luxury services. It is immigration control by economics. It will delay/prevent people from access to family.

I wouldn't mind if it was a quick/efficient/professional and balanced system. Who would? But to more than double the fees for a widely acknowledged poor service? There must be the possibility of action.

See: http://www.ukresident.com/forums/index. ... st&p=81593

and the thread there.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:22 pm

DavidJ wrote: I think these fees must, along with other aspects of immigration, be against the human rights convention: right to family.
I think what's more important here is that a relatively small, overcrowded country like the United Kingdom is not capable of continuing to accept sustained immigration at a continuation of the rates since 1997. Something has got to give.

DavidJ

Post by DavidJ » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:46 pm

JAJ wrote:
DavidJ wrote: I think these fees must, along with other aspects of immigration, be against the human rights convention: right to family.
I think what's more important here is that a relatively small, overcrowded country like the United Kingdom is not capable of continuing to accept sustained immigration at a continuation of the rates since 1997. Something has got to give.
Yes, but not a UK citizen's right to family. Restrict economic migration and work harder on deporting illegals.

I think we have our fair share of people leaving. The government seems sure we are in need in any case.

I have two brothers who have moved to NZ. So our family is in credit! :wink:

Seriously, my wife will not even be asking for ILR. We intend to move out later anyway. (I have to stay here for my daughter.) She will not give up her exisiting nationality, and why should she?

Existing citizens, regardless of history, should not be denied family without a really good reason, such as serious criminality or security.

DavidJ.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:25 pm

DavidJ wrote: Yes, but not a UK citizen's right to family. Restrict economic migration and work harder on deporting illegals.
I expect that in the next few years there will be even tougher restrictions on spouse migration to the UK. For example, it may become impossible for young adults (eg those in the 18-23 age bracket) to bring a foreign spouse to the UK (one way to address forced marriages). It is also possible that spouses will face an English language requirement.

And you are correct about economic migration. With free movement of labour in Europe, it is very difficult to understand how the vast majority of work permits can be justified (except for inter-company transfers and persons with exceptionally high skills). It is also difficult to see why the HSMP should be maintained going forward.
I think we have our fair share of people leaving.
It's not necessarily healthy for a significant part of a society's established population to be replaced by newcomers in a short period of time.
Seriously, my wife will not even be asking for ILR. We intend to move out later anyway. (I have to stay here for my daughter.) She will not give up her exisiting nationality, and why should she?
She will either need to get ILR, or continue paying for further leave to remain. What nationality is she?

Administrator
Diamond Member
Mood:
United Kingdom

Post by Administrator » Mon Mar 12, 2007 9:54 am

Another thread on the topic with a bit more information and discussion. This duplicate thread will now be locked.

-> General UK Immigration forum -> Proposed New Fees from 1 April 2007
http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=14167

Here :

UK Home Office publishes new immigration schedule of fees
http://www.workpermit.com/news/2007_03_ ... _rates.htm

The full charts are published in *.html from the government *.pdf files.

The Admin