ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

reporting fake/sham marriages

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

omar19022013
Newly Registered

reporting fake/sham marriages

Post by omar19022013 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:49 pm

is there any cell within GNIB which deals with fake/sham marriages for the purpose of acquiring citizenship. I would like to report instances of fake/sham marriages.

biggerjosh

Post by biggerjosh » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:28 pm

If you feel so annoyed with the sham go the local guards they might help you and my advise is you should be absolutely sure or otherwise they can sue you for deffamation.

CitationCj2

Post by CitationCj2 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:18 pm

Why would be of your concern weather the marriage is fake or not?
Their life's not yours.
Besides if you are not 100,000% sure with proof to prove it, you can be sued as previous poster already mentioned.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:57 pm

i believe it can be done anonymously, like for the social welfare anonymous reports about people claiming and working for example (cheating the system).
you can just write in a letter to Eu treaty Rights section if the marriage is with the EU citizen or to Spouse of irish national section if it relates to marriage to the irish citizen. ir send an email. and let the department to investigate if they go for it.
in fearness, the less sham marriages around, the easier it will be for the real couples.

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Well in that case if it is related to a citizenship application, I would imagine that if you send a letter or an email to the citizenship section they will be double careful when they look at that particular application (but just your word won't make a difference I think, they will probably need to be provided with someone of evidence or background information pointing them at something suspicious to consider you seriously).

However as everybody mentioned, either you go for the "coward" anonymous letter or if you give your real name you'd better not only be 100% sure but also have strong evidence as it is going to be your word against the couples's.

More generally - I am not sure what I personally think about doing this kind of thing. I don't think I would personally report a sham marriage, but agniukas is making a very good point that if sham marriages were not a concern, things would be much easier for genuine couples.

omar19022013
Newly Registered

Post by omar19022013 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:58 pm

This is not just an individual marriage. There is an actual racket going on. with multiple marriages involved. That's the reason i want to report this. and it's based on EU treaty rights as the women involved are not from Ireland.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:28 am

If you're afraid of getting it wrong and being sued, can't you try the Garda Confidential Line?

Garda Confidential Line
Address:

Telephone:1800 666 111

Email:

The Garda Confidential line allows the public to call with confidential information relating to matters of crime or other activities.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Alternatively, couldn't you write an unsigned, anonyomous letter to the Gardaí?

jeupsy

Post by jeupsy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:30 pm

omar19022013 wrote:This is not just an individual marriage. There is an actual racket going on. with multiple marriages involved. That's the reason i want to report this. and it's based on EU treaty rights as the women involved are not from Ireland.
Ok ... Someone selling residence cards through sham marriages has to be pretty crap and should indeed be punished!