ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Croatia joining EU 1/7/13

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

manuelaux

Croatia joining EU 1/7/13

Post by manuelaux » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:04 pm

It is typical for UKBA not to publish the information on time.

There is only 4 months before Croatia joins EU and UKBA said nothing what will happen with the people from Croatia legally living in the UK.

I am Tier1 visa holder.

I know only that they will put restrictions on Croatian workers and that I will have immediate right to permanent access to UK labor market as i was in the UK legally for more than 12 months.

But why they don't put info what i will have to do to keep being legal after that date? What I will have to do when my Tier1 expire? Will I need to extend it to get IRL? Or I will need to register?

I don't what to shoot myself in the leg and take some new route and than loose all this years I already spent in the UK if one day i decide to take the UK citizenship.

Behavior of the UKBA is quite unacceptable - but I am not surprised.

They charge 2000 GBP for Tier1 visa extension (less than 2 hours of work of an immigration officer). Earn more than some oil companies and they are not capable of putting information on the site on time to help people to prepare.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:21 pm

You can find information under the EEA section of the forum.

See Croatia Accession.

EEA nationals (and Croatians who are exempt from work restriction) don't need any permission from the HO to live and work in the UK. You may wish to keep your Tier-1 visa and apply for ILR or automatically switch to the EEA route and obtain PR after 5 years (your employment years under tier-1 even before Croatia joined the EU count).

manuelaux

Post by manuelaux » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Thank you for your answer.

Just to double check. For example if i want to apply for British citizenship after 5 years will they count those 5 years as:

3 years Tier 1
2 years EU/EEA route

?

Thanks

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:33 am

Yes. It will be counted.

However you don't get British Citizenship, by virtue of 5 years residence, but 6 years residence.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

manuelaux

Post by manuelaux » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:15 pm

Great. Thank you.

But i dont get this 6 years? UKBA site says 5?

boloney

Post by boloney » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:03 pm

manuelaux wrote:Great. Thank you.

But i dont get this 6 years? UKBA site says 5?
5 in general. But eu national have to be in the uk for 5 years to get pr and then 12 months free from immigration control. There is the 6 years. Or you may be able to get ilr after 4 years and be free from immigration control for another 12 months that will make it 5 years.

manuelaux

Post by manuelaux » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:10 pm

Thnak you very much for clearing it up :)