ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Very Important - Response needed.

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hun12
Newly Registered

Very Important - Response needed.

Post by hun12 » Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:39 pm

I applied in some company for a full-time job and got offered the job. I started working there for a week but the next week, they said ur on a student visa so u can't work full-time and asked me to leave. They said tht they made a mistake in not checking my status. According to them, they called the HO for confirmation. Do u think the company might hav given my details to the HO for making the reference and they also took photocopies of my visa. Do i need to worry? Thanks alot.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Re: Very Important - Response needed.

Post by pantaiema » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:23 pm

I think it is higly unlikely that your former employer pass your detail because if they do that they will get fine.

Also in this case it is not your fault, because the company who want to hire non-EU citizen need to check the documents before the person could start working.

Pantaiema

hun12 wrote:I applied in some company for a full-time job and got offered the job. I started working there for a week but the next week, they said ur on a student visa so u can't work full-time and asked me to leave. They said tht they made a mistake in not checking my status. According to them, they called the HO for confirmation. Do u think the company might hav given my details to the HO for making the reference and they also took photocopies of my visa. Do i need to worry? Thanks alot.

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:47 pm

Also in this case it is not your fault, because the company who want to hire non-EU citizen need to check the documents before the person could start working.
I disagree...Hun12, you yourself should know you cannot work full-time if you have a student visa...therefore you shouldn't even be applying for F/T jobs. Actually, I would say you have put the company in a bad position because you applied knowing you are here to study and not for employment purposes. The company did check, albeit quite late.

Unless your school is on half-term, you cannot work full-time (and you can't apply for a full-time permanent job anyway). However, I do not know if they will pass on your details, because they might well have to go through some process with the HO, so they might just let it go. But, you should not use a visa other than for the purpose it is given.

What are you doing now?

hun12
Newly Registered

Post by hun12 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:37 pm

I am doing architecture and not working. I am a bit worried that what if it is something serious as they said they called HO. Do u think everything is fine from my side?

hun12
Newly Registered

Post by hun12 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:40 pm

One more thing, I was told in the beginning by the company tht we need to see your passport before we can issue u a contract. I gave them my passport and they said yes, it is all fine and issued me a contract and then after a week they say tht oh u cannot work so we r terminating the contract. What is that supposed to mean? Thanks alot.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:56 pm

Don't worry mate. They cannot do nothing to you. You applied for the job and after checking your status they found out that you cannot work full time and it was not wrong to check with the HO. You are entitled to apply for a full time role if you qualify and the employer agrees to apply for a WP on your behalf.

The poster who responded to your post was right to say that you should know that you cannot work full time but it can be argued also that the Employer should apply for a work permit on your behalf seeing your visa.

If we have to go on the poster's response then no student can apply for a job leading to a WP application!! :?:

What you have to state in your applicaition is that you would need sponsorship to work.

All the best.
Praise The Lord!!!!

sakura
Diamond Member

Post by sakura » Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:58 pm

I was told in the beginning by the company tht we need to see your passport before we can issue u a contract.
Actually I figured that they must have asked you before...
If we have to go on the poster's response then no student can apply for a job leading to a WP application!!
Well of course those with valid visas can switch into WPs or HSMP, that wasn't my point. What I'm pointing out here is that the OP didn't seem to mention to his company that he required a different (working) visa, as the current one he had was not valid for F/T work. So from what I gathered, he had a student visa but wanted to work full-time instead, but didn't seem to mention it to his employers before starting work (he waited a week...).
it can be argued also that the Employer should apply for a work permit on your behalf seeing your visa.
Precisely, but did the post qualify for a WP? Not all categories of jobs do...

Anyhow, hun12, there shouldn't be any problems, as long as you have good attendance at your educational institution- this is the only thing you need to worry about now!

hun12
Newly Registered

Post by hun12 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi thanks for ur responses. Please also let me know when the company asked HO...they wud hav quoted my name or some reference number from my visa to them? I m sorry i m asking u maybe same things again but i do get worried easily..thanks once again.

pantaiema
Diamond Member

Post by pantaiema » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:53 pm

I agree with "sakura" it is also your fault as U should have known that U r not allowed to take F/T job while on student visa.

However, I believe, your company will not be too stupid to pass your ID to HO becasue if they do that "NOT ONLY U BUT BOTH OF YOU WILL SUFFER".

They will get fine as well as they are required by law to check your eligibility to work in the UK before U could start workingffor them.

The worst scenario both of you will be arrested: Working Illegally and Employ people illegally.

Pantaiema

hun12 wrote:Hi thanks for ur responses. Please also let me know when the company asked HO...they wud hav quoted my name or some reference number from my visa to them? I m sorry i m asking u maybe same things again but i do get worried easily..thanks once again.

hun12
Newly Registered

Post by hun12 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:53 pm

well, one of the managers of the company told me tht they were having confusion about the visa label on my passport. So, they discussed it with the HO and found out tht thts the case. I feel they might hav asked the HO just to confirm my situation rather than taking general information? Wat do u reckon? thanks alot!