ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can i use this job title?

Only for UK Tier 1 (Entrepreneur) points system. This route is now closed to new applicants.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

moazzam7871

Can i use this job title?

Post by moazzam7871 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:36 pm

hi,
It would be great if someone can help me. I am on PSW visa and will be applying for Tier 1(Enter). I did degree in accounting and finance. I do not have any other professional qualifications e.g ACCA or AAT.

I have phoned HMRC and they said i have to registered with them under money laundering services to oversea accounting service by paying them £120. Also i have to take PI insurance.

Please could anyone can tell me that Can i use title of Accounting Technician which is NQF level 4 without being AAT and can i open accounting business based on only my degree or is there any restriction on using this job title?

Any advice will be quite helpful. Thanks
Last edited by moazzam7871 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.

entrepreneur123

Post by entrepreneur123 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 am

I think it should be ok, but wait for some senior reply...

mjay

Re: Can i use this job title?

Post by mjay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:05 am

moazzam7871 wrote:hi,
It would be great if someone can help me. I am on PSW visa and will be applying for Tier 1(Enter). I did degree in accounting and finance. I do not have any other professional qualifications e.g ACCA or AAT.

I have phoned HMRC and they said i have to registered with them under money laundering services to oversea accounting service by paying them £120. Also i have to take PI insurance.

Please could anyone can tell me that Can i use title of Accounting Technician which is NQF level 4 without being AAT and can i open accounting business based on only my degree or is there any restriction on using this job title?

it is fine i use the same job title and my degree is MBA in Finance which covers the job requirements

moazzam7871

Post by moazzam7871 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:23 am

Many thanks for your reply. mjay did you registered with HMRC under money loundery regulation? and how long it takes to get registration certificate from them? Sent you PM please check it. Thanks

mjay wrote:

it is fine i use the same job title and my degree is MBA in Finance which covers the job requirements

hham1224

Post by hham1224 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:02 am

Yes you can open an accountancy practice provided you are not a student or member of any professional body where those bodies requires you to have practicing certificate.

For example, if you are an ACCA part qualified you cannot do any work which comes in the definition of ACCA Public Practice unless you have a ACCA practicing certificate. ACCA Public Practice definition mean (in summary) you cant do any work on which third parties rely on your work.

Only exception to this is you can only do bookkeeping work to the trial balance stage.

You cant open a new company with names like chartered certified accountants, chartered accountants etc.

The above is only for the illustration purposes. I have only taken ACCA as an example that how professional bodies prohibits their students, associates or members to open a public practice who do not have relevant practicing certificate.

I hope this helps.
Last edited by hham1224 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

moazzam7871

Post by moazzam7871 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:13 am

Thanks hham1224 for your kind reply,
Sorry if i did not explained well above. I am NOT member/student/part qualified of ACCA or AAT. I hold degree in accountancy and finance only. I do have experience of more than 1 year. So i can open accountancy practice after registering with HMRC? Please could you tell me which job title should i use? NQF4 or 6? I am planning to use job title of Accounting Technician NQF4 and will prepare annual accounts, VAT returns for self employed e.g grocery shops. I think it will be safe to use NQF4 level job title as under NQF 6 level in UKBA guidance e.g job titles uses "certified" next to them...which is not true in my case.

Looking forward to your kind advice. Thanks in advance

hham1224 wrote:

Hi,

I read your PM. As you mentioned above, you are ACCA part qualified you cannot do any work which comes in the definition of ACCA Public Practice unless you have a ACCA practicing certificate. ACCA Public Practice definition mean (in summary) you cant do any work on which third parties rely on your work e.g. Preparing annual accounts for sole traders, Ltd companies, partnership etc if you submit these than HMRC will be relying on your work.

Only exception to this is you can only do bookkeeping work to the trial balance stage.

You cant open a new company with names like accountants, chartered certified accountants, chartered accountants etc.

The only way you can open an accountancy practice as mentioned above, is resigning from ACCA (which I don't recommend) then you are allowed to work under the umbrella of HMRC for ML purposes.

I hope this helps.

hham1224

Post by hham1224 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 am

moazzam7871 wrote:Thanks hham1224 for your kind reply,
Sorry if i did not explained well above. I am NOT member/student/part qualified of ACCA or AAT. I hold degree in accountancy and finance only. I do have experience of more than 1 year. So i can open accountancy practice after registering with HMRC? Please could you tell me which job title should i use? NQF4 or 6? I am planning to use job title of Accounting Technician NQF4 and will prepare annual accounts, VAT returns for self employed e.g grocery shops. I think it will be safe to use NQF4 level job title as under NQF 6 level in UKBA guidance e.g job titles uses "certified" next to them...which is not true in my case.

hham1224 wrote:

please read my updated post. Apologies I mixed yours with another guy.

moazzam7871

Post by moazzam7871 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:26 am

Thanks hham1224. I read your updated post. It would be great help if you could answer following question and suggest me which job title suits me best.

Please could you tell me which job title should i use? NQF4 or 6? I am planning to open ABC Accounting and business services. I am planning to use job title of Accounting Technician NQF4 and will prepare annual accounts, VAT returns, advice about business matters etc for self employed e.g grocery shops intially. I think it will be safe to use NQF4 level job title as under NQF 6 level in UKBA guidance e.g job titles uses "certified" next to them...which is not true in my case.

hham1224 wrote:
moazzam7871 wrote:Thanks hham1224 for your kind reply,

hham1224 wrote:

please read my updated post. Apologies I mixed yours with another guy.

mjay

Post by mjay » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:50 am

moazzam7871 wrote:Many thanks for your reply. mjay did you registered with HMRC under money loundery regulation? and how long it takes to get registration certificate from them? Sent you PM please check it. Thanks

mjay wrote:

no i havent registered with hmrc but i have registration with fsb federation of small business

moazzam7871

Post by moazzam7871 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Please could you tell me, with what kind of client did you do contract with for your intial application? I thinking to do contracts with local grocery shops for preparation of annual accounts, annual returns and preparation of VAT etc. Do you think it will be fine? Many Thanks

mjay wrote:
moazzam7871 wrote:Many thanks for your reply. mjay did you registered with HMRC under money loundery regulation? and how long it takes to get registration certificate from them? Sent you PM please check it. Thanks

mjay wrote:

no i havent registered with hmrc but i have registration with fsb federation of small business

moazzam7871

Post by moazzam7871 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:44 am

I will recommend to get register with HMRC under Money Laundering Requlation as soon as possible for providing accounting services as it is a offense if you do not. Please read following link

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/mlr/getstarted/register/asp.htm

3.25.10 What happens if I don’t register under the Regulations?
If you carry on relevant business and are not registered with HMRC as required by the MLRs, you are committing an offence.
We may impose penalties for;

failure to register relevant business. This includes the following -
(a) carrying on business as an ASP (Accounting Service Provider) without being registered
(b) continuing to carry on business as an ASP after your registration has been cancelled.

[/quote]

no i havent registered with hmrc but i have registration with fsb federation of small business[/quote]