ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Romanian to Apply for Indefinite or Direct British Passport?

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:11 pm

vinny wrote:The other downside of having a dated confirmation of PR is that you still have to show that you had attained PR for at least one year, possibly before the date on the confirmation of PR.
Yup, that's what happened to me, I got PR, then I applied for naturalisation without waiting 1 year from the PR date, so I had to bring in to the NCS all paperwork I had already sent to the UKBA. On the other hand, everything was ready 8)

jimz
BANNED

Mr.Vinnay & Mr. Jambo

Post by jimz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:16 pm

Mr.Vinnay & Mr. Jambo@

Both of you are really helpful.

By answering my questions you didnt only help me but also many more like myself ...I really appreciate this help.

So Mr.Vinnay@

Although i have completed my 6 Years already in UK lawfully in full time employment with right immigration and tax documents,

so

if i apply for PR on EEA3 now and i get it

(If i apply for PR ON EEA3 in this case do i need to have ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEST AND LIFE IN UK TEST..IS IT COMPULSORY EVEN FOR EU NATIONALS?)

SO DO I STILL HAVE TO HOLD PR FOR ANOTHER WHOLE YEAR TO QUALIFY FOR NATURALIZATION?

Is that what you really mean?

If i still have to wait another whole year after getting PR

then

is it not alright to apply for Naturalization straight ?

I have another question here for your kind consideration.

An EU NATIONAL must apply for PR first
then
for Naturalization
and
then for British passport?

or is it possible to directly apply for British passport without Naturalization?

My question might sound little silly but it will make many people aware about the real facts ...

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:17 pm

nidaulhaque wrote:Dont think you need life in uk
She does need it, indeed.
Actually, as Vinny more correctly put it, generally speaking she needs KOL, which is achievable also through Life in the UK.

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Re: Mr.Vinnay & Mr. Jambo

Post by aledeniz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:20 pm

jimz wrote:An EU NATIONAL must apply for PR first
then
for Naturalization
and
then for British passport?
No, you need to achieve PR, obtaining the document certifying PR is optional, then successfully apply for naturalisation, then apply for the passport.
jimz wrote:or is it possible to directly apply for British passport without Naturalization
No. Generally, to apply for a passport, you need to become a citizen.

jimz
BANNED

Mr.Vinnay & Mr. Jambo

Post by jimz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:20 pm

When i came in UK 6 Years ago

I studied at THAMES VALLEY UNIVERSITY and i done English Language course from there

Is it acceptable in the place of ESOL?

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:26 pm

jimz wrote:(If i apply for PR ON EEA3 in this case do i need to have ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEST AND LIFE IN UK TEST..IS IT COMPULSORY EVEN FOR EU NATIONALS?)
I did apply for the PR document without Life in the UK, as it is not required for EEA3 or EEA4 applications, afterwards, before applying for naturalisation, I did pass the Life in the UK test.
jimz wrote:SO DO I STILL HAVE TO HOLD PR FOR ANOTHER WHOLE YEAR TO QUALIFY FOR NATURALIZATION?
You must have achieve PR for 1 year, but you don't necessarily need to have hold the document certifying PR for 1 year.

My case: my 5 year stint ended in Oct 2010, so I had PR status then and there, I was fulfilling the residential requirement for naturalisation from Oct 2011, I applied for a PR document in Jan 2012, got it in Mar 2012, passed Life in the UK in Oct 2012, applied for naturalisation in Nov 2012, then became a citizen in Jan 2013.

jimz
BANNED

Aledeniz

Post by jimz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:26 pm

Aledeniz@

(If i apply for PR ON EEA3 in this case do i need to have ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEST AND LIFE IN UK TEST..IS IT COMPULSORY EVEN FOR EU NATIONALS?)

SO DO I STILL HAVE TO HOLD PR FOR ANOTHER WHOLE YEAR TO QUALIFY FOR NATURALIZATION?

Can you write your case time line here so it would shed some light really

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:30 pm

jimz wrote:When i came in UK 6 Years ago

I studied at THAMES VALLEY UNIVERSITY and i done English Language course from there

I very much doubt it. I've got friends born and bred in English speaking countries (South Africa, Australia, Canada, USA), holding university degree in universities teaching in English, who to get ILR or citizenship had to pass the Life in the UK test.

jimz
BANNED

Aledeniz

Post by jimz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:31 pm

Aledeniz@

So generally speaking

if i get PR in JUNE-2013 ( even though i have already spent 6 Years in UK )

Then do i have to wait another whole one year to qualify to apply for NATURALIZATION which would be JUNE-2014?

KINDLY CLARIFY THIS POINT PLEASE

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Re: Aledeniz

Post by aledeniz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:37 pm

jimz wrote:Aledeniz@

So generally speaking

if i get PR in JUNE-2013 ( even though i have already spent 6 Years in UK )

Then do i have to wait another whole one year to qualify to apply for NATURALIZATION which would be JUNE-2014?

KINDLY CLARIFY THIS POINT PLEASE
You don't need.

If someone fulfil all criteria for naturalisation, they may apply when they wish. If some EEA citizen believe they have achieved PR status, they may freely apply either for a document certifying PR, either for naturalisation, provided they believe they have fulfilled all other requirements.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are people applying both for a PR document and the British citizenship at the same time, perhaps using ID in one application and passport in the other, or sending first the naturalisation application through the NCS, and then the EEA3 or EEA4 via post.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 pm

I will try to explain it again.

Under EEA regulations, PR is obtained automatically after 5 years of exercising treaty rights. This is why you can apply for British citizenship after 6 years (5 years + 1 year). It doesn't matter if you hold a PR card or not. It doesn't matter when it was issued.

If you plan to apply for British citizenship, the only advantage of applying for PR first is to reduce the risk of losing the fee. If you believe your documents are all good and you have met all the requirement (yellow card, blue card etc for Romanians), then apply directly. If you are not sure, better not to risk £851 and apply for PR card first.

jimz
BANNED

JAMBO

Post by jimz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 pm

Mr.Jambo@

I do really appreciate your comprehensive answer ...

now i will apply for PR FIRST to reduce the risk and then afterwards i will go for naturalization .

In My case

do i need life in uk when i go for naturalization

what about ESOL?

just to let you know i have done an English language course and i do have the certificate from THAMES VALLEY UNIVERSITY London.

do i have to life in uk and english test separately again?

do you have any idea how long does it take to get the PR for ROMANIANS?

I HEARD that they are taken 9 Months fro Romanian and Bulgarians..

Regards

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: JAMBO

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:06 pm

jimz wrote:do i need life in uk when i go for naturalization
Yes. Everyone needs it including EU citizens.
what about ESOL?
Not required if you take the Life in the UK test. That acts as your English test as well.

do you have any idea how long does it take to get the PR for ROMANIANS?

I HEARD that they are taken 9 Months fro Romanian and Bulgarians..
Probably 2-3 months.

The 9 months is the delay for yellow card/blue card applications which are handled in Sheffield. PR Confirmation don't take so long and are handled in Liverpool.

jimz
BANNED

Utmost thanks

Post by jimz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:15 pm

O Jambo

You are so kind ..

i really appreciate your help.

I really regard your effort .

So what i make out of what you explained..

1- i will go for PR first on EEA3
(Waiting time probably 2-3 months without any life in uk or any english language test)

2-as soon as i get my PR i will apply for NATURALIZATION
(without having to wait for another whole year as you said
including LIFE IN UK TEST on FORM N)

Then hopefully i can live with peace..ehhh

once again i take this opportunity to say thank you so much for all your help and efforts and consideration.

In the mean time if i get any more question i will certainly give u more headache lol ..

Many thanks again.

Kind regards.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Re: Utmost thanks

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:30 pm

jimz wrote:O Jambo

You are so kind ..

i really appreciate your help.

I really regard your effort .

So what i make out of what you explained..

1- i will go for PR first on EEA3
(Waiting time probably 2-3 months without any life in uk or any english language test)

2-as soon as i get my PR i will apply for NATURALIZATION
(without having to wait for another whole year as you said
including LIFE IN UK TEST on FORM N)

Then hopefully i can live with peace..ehhh

once again i take this opportunity to say thank you so much for all your help and efforts and consideration.

In the mean time if i get any more question i will certainly give u more headache lol ..

Many thanks again.

Kind regards.
Another advice - When apply for PR, use evidence from your first 5 years in the UK not the last 5 years. So if you are in the UK since 2007, use evidence from 2007-2012.

The reason for that is that for naturalisation you need to prove that you have PR 1 year before you apply for BC. Using evidence from 2007-2012 would prove that.

Even if you get the PR card, you would still need to submit all the evidence again when applying for naturalisation but at least you would know this evidence has been checked already so there is no risk.

vinny

Post by vinny » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:08 pm

jimz wrote:When i came in UK 6 Years ago

See also ESOL course in English with citizenship to see if your course is acceptable.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.