ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

When do you officially become a British Citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

maverick250
Newly Registered

When do you officially become a British Citizen?

Post by maverick250 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:45 pm

I received my approval letter from the UKBA last week, and I have the citizenship ceremony mid-March. When am I officially a British citizen, and when would I have to surrender my foreign citizenship?

My understanding is that the local council already has my citizenship certifictae, so according to any UKBA/Home Office records, I would now be a British citizen?

Is this correct?

jms_uk
- thin ice -

Re: When do you officially become a British Citizen?

Post by jms_uk » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:52 pm

maverick250 wrote:I received my approval letter from the UKBA last week, and I have the citizenship ceremony mid-March. When am I officially a British citizen, and when would I have to surrender my foreign citizenship?

My understanding is that the local council already has my citizenship certifictae, so according to any UKBA/Home Office records, I would now be a British citizen?

Is this correct?
Only when you receive dated certificate at the ceremony [after taking the oath], you'll become a British Citizen.

barnaby

Re: When do you officially become a British Citizen?

Post by barnaby » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:13 pm

maverick250 wrote:My understanding is that the local council already has my citizenship certifictae, so according to any UKBA/Home Office records, I would now be a British citizen?
I read somewhere that the council informs the HO of the date of the ceremony (which is handwritten on the certificate) after the ceremony. The incentive is that they don't receive their fee from the HO until they do so.