ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 2 working 30 hours a week

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Deepak1
Newly Registered

Tier 2 working 30 hours a week

Post by Deepak1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:43 pm

Hi,
I am currently on PSW visa and want to switch to Tier 2 visa. My employer is ready to sponsor me. I am currently on £23500 but the problem is the minimum salary required is £28000 according to SOC code of practises. I am not sure whether the SOC code is valid for people applying from inside the UK as well. I am confused because in point based calculator, UKBA says that you need a minimum of £20000 but then at other places, it's written that it should match the minimum salary according to the code of practises. Please help.

Thanks

physicskate
Diamond Member

Re: Tier 2 working 30 hours a week

Post by physicskate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:00 pm

Deepak1 wrote:Hi,
I am currently on PSW visa and want to switch to Tier 2 visa. My employer is ready to sponsor me. I am currently on £23500 but the problem is the minimum salary required is £28000 according to SOC code of practises. I am not sure whether the SOC code is valid for people applying from inside the UK as well. I am confused because in point based calculator, UKBA says that you need a minimum of £20000 but then at other places, it's written that it should match the minimum salary according to the code of practises. Please help.

Thanks

You need to meet the minimum salary or 20,000, whichever is HIGHER. So if the codes of practice say 17,000, you would still need to meet 20,000 working a 37.5 hour week. SOC codes are applicable to ALL applicants.

Your job also needs to be NQF 6.

Your employer must meet the requirements of sponsoring a migrant. Failing that, you need to find a new employer (sponsor) or leave the UK.

Thems the rules...

Deepak1
Newly Registered

Post by Deepak1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Thanks for your reply. My employer is A rated and can sponsor me without any problem. As I work 30 hours a week on £23500, does UKBA calculate the salary ona pro rata basis? If they do, then my salary becomes £29500 for 37.5 hours per week. Can you please suggest. Thanks

Deepak1
Newly Registered

Post by Deepak1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:06 pm

Also my job is NQF level 7 (test analyst).

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:15 pm

Deepak1 wrote:Thanks for your reply. My employer is A rated and can sponsor me without any problem. As I work 30 hours a week on £23500, does UKBA calculate the salary ona pro rata basis? If they do, then my salary becomes £29500 for 37.5 hours per week. Can you please suggest. Thanks
From the guidance: (page 11)
44. If you will be working part time, you will be awarded points for your actual earnings and not for the equivalent full time earnings.

Deepak1
Newly Registered

Post by Deepak1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:43 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I checked the section of the policy guidance and yes you are correct. I will speak to my employer and will check with them what they can do about it.

Deepak1
Newly Registered

Post by Deepak1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:15 pm

physicskate wrote:
Deepak1 wrote:Thanks for your reply. My employer is A rated and can sponsor me without any problem. As I work 30 hours a week on £23500, does UKBA calculate the salary ona pro rata basis? If they do, then my salary becomes £29500 for 37.5 hours per week. Can you please suggest. Thanks
44. If you will be working part time, you will be awarded points for your actual earnings and not for the equivalent full time earnings.

I got a question. Isn't working 30 hours per week like full time. Policy guidance states that "If you will be working part time, you will be awarded points for your actual earnings and not for the equivalent full time earnings". But point 81 on page 20 states that "Your contracted working hours must be at least 30 hours a week". Does this mean that if a person like me is working 30 hours a week, then they will calculate the salary for 37.5 hours on a pro rata basis? Thanks

physicskate
Diamond Member

Post by physicskate » Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:50 pm

Deepak1 wrote:
physicskate wrote:

I got a question. Isn't working 30 hours per week like full time. Policy guidance states that "If you will be working part time, you will be awarded points for your actual earnings and not for the equivalent full time earnings". But point 81 on page 20 states that "Your contracted working hours must be at least 30 hours a week". Does this mean that if a person like me is working 30 hours a week, then they will calculate the salary for 37.5 hours on a pro rata basis? Thanks

30 hours a week does not seem full-time to me!!! That's only 6 hours a day for a 5 day week... Your pay would be pro rata: 29500/(37.5*52) does not equal 23500/(30*52). Even pro rata you are short.

Oh I just found this in the codes of practice guidance:
Appropriate salary rates are based on a 37½ hour working week, unless otherwise stated. Salaries should be pro-rated for other working patterns.

However, you are about £100 short.... And the application would be rejected.

Deepak1
Newly Registered

Post by Deepak1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:09 pm

physicskate wrote:
Deepak1 wrote:
physicskate wrote:

30 hours a week does not seem full-time to me!!! That's only 6 hours a day for a 5 day week... Your pay would be pro rata: 29500/(37.5*52) does not equal 23500/(30*52). Even pro rata you are short.

Appropriate salary rates are based on a 37½ hour working week, unless otherwise stated. Salaries should be pro-rated for other working patterns.

However, you are about £100 short.... And the application would be rejected.
My SOC code will be 2132 and my job title is test analyst and the salary according to the code of practice should be £28000. I think I should be fine. What you say?

Alish60

Post by Alish60 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:38 pm

physicskate wrote:
Deepak1 wrote:
physicskate wrote:

However, you are about £100 short.... And the application would be
rejected.
good advice

Deepak1
Newly Registered

Post by Deepak1 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 am

Alish60 wrote:
physicskate wrote:
Deepak1 wrote:
physicskate wrote:

However, you are about £100 short.... And the application would be
rejected.
good advice
Hi Alish60,

So you also think that I should be fine?

pbisen
Newly Registered

Re: Tier 2 working 30 hours a week

Post by pbisen » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:28 pm

Even I have the same situation like this please give the confirmed suggestion if 30 hours per week is considered as full time work or not.