ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Update wife visa status frm T1-General to T1-Dependant or no

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

petu_13
Newly Registered

Update wife visa status frm T1-General to T1-Dependant or no

Post by petu_13 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:24 pm

Hi All,

My wife is currently having Tier 1 General visa which is due for renewal at end of next month. I am also having Tier 1 General visa and will be eligible for ILR application at the end of this year.

We were thinking to change my wife visa status to T1-Dependant under my current visa. And then we can apply for ILR together with me being main application, she will as a Dependant.

I was hoping to know your views or suggestions if this is an acceptable approach under UKBA rules & procedures. or is there something that we should take care of or not do then why?

Thanks

Highly_Skilled

Re: Update wife visa status frm T1-General to T1-Dependant o

Post by Highly_Skilled » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:29 pm

petu_13 wrote:Hi All,

My wife is currently having Tier 1 General visa which is due for renewal at end of next month. I am also having Tier 1 General visa and will be eligible for ILR application at the end of this year.

We were thinking to change my wife visa status to T1-Dependant under my current visa. And then we can apply for ILR together with me being main application, she will as a Dependant.

I was hoping to know your views or suggestions if this is an acceptable approach under UKBA rules & procedures. or is there something that we should take care of or not do then why?

Thanks
It is acceptable but the Immigration Rules do not allow for a Tier 1 Gen migrant to switch into a Dependent whilst in the UK.

Your wife will have to leave and apply as a Dependent from outside the UK.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Re: Update wife visa status frm T1-General to T1-Dependant o

Post by Greenie » Sun Feb 24, 2013 4:21 pm

petu_13 wrote:Hi All,

Thanks
unless your wife will not meet the requirements to extend her own tier 1 leave,it would make sense for her to remain as a tier 1general migrant in her own right as applying as your dependent would set her clock back 5 years for ilr.

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:59 pm

to summarize above two responses,
1. One cannot move from T1(G) category to 'dependent' category within UK. You will need to apply from home country.
2. As #1, she will need be eligible only after 5 years for residency/ILR.