ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Illegal fiancee in Switzerland, would like to visit UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

startg
Newly Registered

Illegal fiancee in Switzerland, would like to visit UK

Post by startg » Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:51 pm

Hello, hope someone can advise me.
I'm British, and live/work in Geneva, with a full "B" workpermit. My fiancee is Brazilian, not legally in Switzerland, but with two children enrolled in school here for the last 3 years they can't very well send her home(and won't do so). As anyone who knows Switzerland will know, they have a system of looking the other way so that the menial tasks no Swiss will contemplate can get done, and they allow any kids to attend school until age 16 following international agreements. However they never permit an illegal to become legal except via marriage.

I would like to take her to the UK for a few days(probably at Easter) to meet my family. It would be by car. In theory, being Brazilian, I don't think she needs a visafor the UK. However knowing what UK immigration officials are like, I'm nervous they will be difficult and give her a hard time at the border, and possibly cause her problems in Switzerland.
If anyone can advise me regarding the best way to proceed, I'd appreciate it.
Thanks in advance.

Dawie
Diamond Member

Post by Dawie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:58 pm

Brazilians do not require visas either for Schengen countries or for the UK as long as she meets the usual entry requirements in terms of money, return ticket etc.

However has is she sure there won't be problem with her being able to get back into Switzerland?
In a few years time we'll look back on immigration control like we look back on American prohibition in the thirties - futile and counter-productive.

jes2jes

Post by jes2jes » Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:27 pm

A Brazillian citizen holding a national passport do not require a visa to enter the UK for 6 months (I guess) for visiting purposes and 90 days for Switzerland.

Bear in mind that, Switzerland has one of the toughest immigration systems in Europe and their records can be second to none. Although your girlfriend seems to have lived there for a while does not mean they are not aware of her presence. I know of situations where some people in the last couple of years where mass deported.

It would be okay to travel to the UK (Immigration can refuse entry too) but as Dawie stated, returning to Switzerland can be a different issue upon re-entry and cross referencing of records. I would not take the risk. Are the children Swiss Nationals? Are they travelling together with you? This can help a little but no gurantees (I'm not an expert on Swiss Laws).

Check the information below for more reading:
..............................................................................................

Who requires a visa?
Visas may not be required of citizens of the following countries, for stays up to 90 days:
(a) nationals of EU countries, Australia, Canada, Japan and US;
(b) nationals of countries in South and Central America (except nationals of Belize, Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador and Peru who do need a visa);
(c) nationals of Caribbean island states (except nationals of Cuba, Dominican Republic and Haiti who do need a visa);
(d) nationals of Andorra, Brunei, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Fiji, Hungary, Iceland, Israel, Kiribati, Korea (Rep. Of), Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Malaysia, Malta, Monaco, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, San Marino, Singapore, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Tuvalu and Vatican City;
(e) nationals of Bosnia-Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Turkey and Serbia & Montenegro provided they are resident in Canada, Iceland, Norway, USA or EU countries.

Nationals of countries not appearing above, or those staying longer than 90 days may require a visa to study in Switzerland.

Before leaving for Switzerland, you must complete certain important formalities which you should begin as soon as you receive confirmation that you have been accepted by a Swiss university.

http://www.learn4good.com/travel/swz_visa.htm

Official Document Link:

http://www.eda.admin.ch/etc/medialib/do ... _Reg_e.pdf

http://www.weisungen.bfm.admin.ch/einre ... iste_e.pdf

Obligation to hold a visa
http://www.weisungen.bfm.admin.ch/einre ... rschriften
Praise The Lord!!!!

stedman

Post by stedman » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:41 pm

I can't believe you're even contemplating taking her out of Switzerland. She could be refused entry into the UK, could be refused re-entry into Switzerland and end up with a deportation order to Brazil! Maybe I'm just a pessimist but that is the worst case scenario and one you shouldn't risk just for a brief holiday. Buy a webcam and introduce her to your family that way.

joesoap101
Member of Standing

Post by joesoap101 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:41 pm

You would be taking a risk in moving out of Switzerland. Having said that I walked through the land border with France at Geneva and they didnt even look at me, the cars where driving through unchecked and after my trip up the Saleve mountain I walked back into Switzerland again unhindred.

eso
Newly Registered

Post by eso » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:22 am

a votre place ,je ne risquerais pas le coup .
les points de passage ,a annemasse par exemple ce font de plus en plus rigoureux
il pourrait peut ertre y avoir des point de reference ,si le nom de votre conjoint apparait sur une banque de donnee ou au niveaux du fameux "controle des habitants"

ayant 2 enfant en suisse pourrait aussi causer des problemes au cas ou l'entree en suisse serait refuse