ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Foreign Birth Register

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Irish Foreign Birth Register

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Is my Foreign Birth Register proof of Citizenship?

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:35 pm

Yes!
Last edited by IntegratedMigrant on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Thank you InetrgratedMigrant.....This is enough for me to things like a National Insurance Number, Bank account or Job in the UK?

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:38 pm

Mistake!!!

This is enough for me to get things like a National Insurance Number, Bank account or Job in the UK?

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:54 pm

May I ask where you are residing now?

Yes as an Irish Citizen which you are, you can live freely in the UK and most European countries. Get your National Insurance Number, Bank account or Job in the UK or EU member states?

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:58 pm

I am in England right now....I'm wanting to get these items now. Is my Certificate enough proof to get them?

Malika

Post by Malika » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:19 pm

bobsowc wrote:I am in England right now....I'm wanting to get these items now. Is my Certificate enough proof to get them?
You need a passport............... how will you approach the authorities (in the UK) with a paper/certificate or whatever that guarantees your birth but not nationality?

Regards,
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:28 pm

how will you approach the authorities (in the UK) with a paper/certificate or whatever that guarantees your birth but not nationality?

Regards,

Hi Malika, I'm not sure I understand your Question. I want to get my national Insurance number, Is my Irish Foreign Birth Registration Certificate enough proof of citizenship to do that?

Regards

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:34 pm

bobsowc wrote:I am in England right now....I'm wanting to get these items now. Is my Certificate enough proof to get them?
You are an Irish Citizen but a passport will be needed to get these things you want and not certificate. Contact the Irish Embassy in UK and they will sort it out for you.

It should be a straight forward case and a passport will be issued to you ASAP

Malika

Post by Malika » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:37 pm

bobsowc wrote:
how will you approach the authorities (in the UK) with a paper/certificate or whatever that guarantees your birth but not nationality?

Regards,

Hi Malika, I'm not sure I understand your Question. I want to get my national Insurance number, Is my Irish Foreign Birth Registration Certificate enough proof of citizenship to do that?

Regards
Do you need proof of I.D to get NI? do you want to use your FBR as that? This is what I mean...........will it be accepted? Why don't you apply for a passport instead?

Regards,
'If you compare yourself to others,you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself'............DESIDERATA

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:41 pm

Do you need proof of I.D to get NI? do you want to use your FBR as that? This is what I mean...........will it be accepted? Why don't you apply for a passport instead?

I need proof of Citizenship. I want to use my FBR as proof. I have a job lined up but they need me to start right away. Passport will take 6-8 weeks. I also need a bank statement or payroll slip to fulfill the application requirements.

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:42 pm

I need proof of Citizenship. I want to use my FBR as proof. I have a job lined up but they need me to start right away. Passport will take 6-8 weeks. I also need a bank statement or payroll slip to fulfill the application requirements.

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:43 pm

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:49 pm

bobsowc wrote:I need proof of Citizenship. I want to use my FBR as proof. I have a job lined up but they need me to start right away. Passport will take 6-8 weeks. I also need a bank statement or payroll slip to fulfill the application requirements.
But you dont only need a proof of citizenship to apply for jobs, get bank account etc. What you need in this situation is a proof of residence and that will get you going for now until you get your Irish passport.

How do you end up in the UK? Do you have resident status there?

If there is proof of residence in the UK, then you could apply for all of these without needing the Irish Citizenship to do that

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:08 pm

bobsowc wrote:I need proof of Citizenship. I want to use my FBR as proof. I have a job lined up but they need me to start right away. Passport will take 6-8 weeks. I also need a bank statement or payroll slip to fulfill the application requirements.
This might help: https://www.gov.uk/legal-right-to-work-in-the-uk ?

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:09 pm

But you dont only need a proof of citizenship to apply for jobs, get bank account etc. What you need in this situation is a proof of residence and that will get you going for now until you get your Irish passport.

How do you end up in the UK? Do you have resident status there?

If there is proof of residence in the UK, then you could apply for all of these without needing the Irish Citizenship to do that.

Proof of residence???? While I have a couple of accounts in the UK I'm not sure they are proof of residency.

I have a wife and child her in the UK and have been traveling back and forth from the USA. I happen to be here when my FBR came through. I'm trying to get my right to work done while I'm here instead of going back to the USA.

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:12 pm

Proof of residence???? While I have a couple of accounts in the UK I'm not sure they are proof of residency.

I have a wife and child her in the UK and have been traveling back and forth from the USA. I happen to be here when my FBR came through. I'm trying to get my right to work done while I'm here instead of going back to the USA.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Are you already registered in the FBR? Do you have an extract or printout of that registration?

If so you already have a right to reside and work in the UK.

Does your future employer particularly need you to prove your status immediately?

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:54 pm

Are you already registered in the FBR? Do you have an extract or printout of that registration?

If so you already have a right to reside and work in the UK.

Does your future employer particularly need you to prove your status immediately?
I do already have my FBR and it is the original copy.

My future employer is not sure if it's proper documentation.

does it prove citizenship?

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:08 pm

Is an FBR considered an Irish birth certificate?

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... iew=Binary
A birth or adoption certificate issued in the Channel Islands, the Isle of Man or Ireland together
with an official document issued by a previous employer or Government agency with the person’s
name and National Insurance number (a P45, P46, National Insurance card, or letter from a
Government agency)

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:50 am

bobsowc wrote:This is enough for me to get things like a National Insurance Number, Bank account or Job in the UK?
Unfortunately, no. The FBR certificate, in theory, certifies that you are an Irish citizen by descent. However - the UK authorities will not recognise it, as it is just a a piece of paper to them.

To get a NI number, bank account, job, etc, you will need to apply for an Irish passport, as the UK authorities will recognise an Irish passport as an internationally recognised government-issued identity document. The FBR doesn't have your photo or signature on it, so for practical purposes it will not do.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:54 am

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Is an FBR considered an Irish birth certificate?
No, it is not. It is a citizenship certificate, not a birth certificate.

However, as I said, for practical purposes, an FBR cert only proves the date that someone was registered as an Irish citizen. It doesn't have a photo or signature, so it is possible that this FBR certificate may have been borrowed/stolen etc from someone else. I'm sure this is not the case with bobsowc, but from a potential employer's point of view, they have to keep this in mind.

An Irish passport not only confirms that someone is an Irish citizen with a legal right to work in the UK, but also confirms their identity.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:34 am

If a FBR is a citizenship certificate, then that is even better.

barnaby

Post by barnaby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:33 pm

doesnotcompute wrote:However, as I said, for practical purposes, an FBR cert only proves the date that someone was registered as an Irish citizen. It doesn't have a photo or signature, so it is possible that this FBR certificate may have been borrowed/stolen etc from someone else. I'm sure this is not the case with bobsowc, but from a potential employer's point of view, they have to keep this in mind.
These observations also apply to a UK naturalization certificate (which is remarkably similar to an FBR certificate). However, a UK naturalization certificate is one of the documents acceptable to UK employers, according to the "FULL GUIDE FOR EMPLOYERS ON PREVENTING ILLEGAL WORKING IN THE UK", while an FBR certificate is not listed there.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:12 pm

If the certificate can be demonstrated to be yours (and you can identify yourself as being the owner), then it demonstrates that you are an EU national.

It would certainly be easier with an Irish passport. If you can convince your employer that you are Irish, he should be able to employ you.