ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Waiting time for Spouse Visa from Albania

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mirnat

Post by mirnat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:24 am

Hi

I'm new to this site (just discovered it yesterday!) & was wondering how long does it take the British Embassy in Tirana to make a decision about a spouse/settlement visa?

In summary:

14 December 2006 - married in Albania

19 December 2006 - submitted applic & all supporting evidence to Embassy

23 January 2007 - husband has his interview - no Visa issued, but no refusal either!

Between my husband & I we have known more than a handful of couples whose husbands received their visa on the day of their interview (including my husband's brother last November).

I have been calling/emailing/writing to the Embassy for an update and first they told me they were waiting for a report from the Home Office (which they now have) and now they're waiting for reply to their request for verification of our marriage certificate - which was checked locally in the City we married (not Tirana). I managed to get the name of the ECO dealing with the applic & her last email to me (dated 23 Feb) says that my husband should feel free to contact the local authorities to hurry them along if he wishes. I wrote back thanking her for the update and asking her to provide the name of the person at the 'local authorities' dealing with her request - & nothing, she is seemingly ignoring my letters (I sent another one on Wednesday asking for this info or asking her kindly to chase them again!).

I am going to Albania tomorrow (can't wait as haven't seen my husband now for six weeks!) and am intending to pay the British Embassy in Tirana a personal visit (as is very difficult to get through on the telephone!).

Anyway, just wondered how long it has taken anyone else's spouse to get their visa for entry to the UK from Albania?

Thanks

Ps. thanks for reading this long post!

BATS

Post by BATS » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:28 am

My boyfriend had his appointment for a fiance visa yesterday in Albania and got his visa the same day. Also another couple I know got their spouse visa issued the same day as their interview.

Definitely go to the embassy in person although to be honest they can be quite rude at time as you have found out already.

They seem to be pretty disorganised too, my boyf was supposed to have his interview at 2.30 and didnt go in until 3.30! So I was sat at home worrying what was going on!!

Good Luck and hopefully you will be able to bring your husband back with you!!

clairey

Post by clairey » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:02 am

Hi BATS,

Congratulations!! I'm really please it all worked out for you guys!

It sounds like the embassy has got worse since we applied in 2004 for my husband's fiancé visa.

Mirnat, I don't know what to tell you. It does sound odd that it would take so long for them to check with authorities in Shkodra. Did you get a copy of your marriage certificate? Do you need to deposit a copy with the ministry of foreign affairs? I'm trying to remember off the top of my head what my friend had to do when she married in Albania.

The Entry Clearance Manager is a lady called Lyn Shaw. Ask to speak to her. Demand (nicely) to be let into the embassy - as you are British you have every right to enter. Explain how hard it is to be separated from your husband and you are seeking clarification on what is holding up his application. Hope all goes well for you.

p.s. It's a well known fact that Albanians will never pick up a ringing phone unless it's their mobile! You can NEVER get through to an office number!

mirnat

Post by mirnat » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:22 am

Bats thanks for your input - I'm wishing that maybe we had applied for a fiance visa then got married in the UK, but I thought that the fact that we had got married would show that we were serious enough! Plus, we have known other couples who got their visas on the same day of their interview. Although another friend of mine who married in Elbasan in Albania, her husband has his interview on 28 February and didn't get his spouse visa because same thing, they are awaiting a reply from the office where they got married!!

Claire, thanks for your reply - in fact, I've printed it out and am taking it to Albania with me tomorrow! I will demand (as u say, nicely!) to get into that damn Embassy!!!

I did telephone the Embassy about 10 mins ago and the switchboard receptionist told me that no-one in the Visa Section will take any calls until midday, even though their website says that on Fridays they are open for telephone enquiries between 11 and 12 (UK time). When I mentioned this, she said yes those times are just to do with providing additional documents - WTF?? - well why doesn't it say this on their website then??!! Like, I do have a full time job to attend to and can't keep sitting their on redial!

I'm just so frustrated at the whole process and so is my husband who has been in Albania for four months now and in that time, I've spent one month with him!!

Sorry Claire to answer your other questions - we provided the Embassy with our original Marriage Certificate, but we didn't retain a copy (although am told we can get one from the office we married in!). Not sure about depositing it with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs - the Embassy's website advise that this is only necessary to do if you then wish to deposit your Albanian Marriage Certificate with the UK authorities) - but then judging by what they said about telephone enquiry times, we know how reliable the Embassy's website can be, NOT!!!!

Sorry, can u sense my frustration?!! But, I have been inspired at reading all the success stories on this site too!

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Tue Mar 20, 2007 6:15 pm

Just wondering if anything has happened since your trip to Tirana??

My husband and I got married and applied back in April 2005 and he got his visa in 3 days without attending an interview - sounds like it has got a lot tougher since then.

mirnat

Post by mirnat » Tue May 01, 2007 1:43 pm

Marie B - has taken me a while to log onto this board as been enjoying life in London with my husband!! Yes, he got his visa, finally, and came back with me at the end of March the last time I went to visit him!

We're in the process of applying now for a Schengen Visa which will hopefully be a bit easier - got the appointment tomorrow!

alba29

Post by alba29 » Thu May 24, 2007 12:34 pm

clairey wrote:Hi BATS,

It sounds like the embassy has got worse since we applied in 2004 for my husband's fiancé ¶isa.

Mirnat, I don't know what to tell you. It does sound odd that it would take so long for them to check with authorities in Shkodra. Did you get a copy of your marriage certificate? Do you need to deposit a copy with the ministry of foreign affairs? I'm trying to remember off the top of my head what my friend had to do when she married in Albania.

The Entry Clearance Manager is a lady called Lyn Shaw. Ask to speak to her. Demand (nicely) to be let into the embassy - as you are British you have every right to enter. Explain how hard it is to be separated from your husband and you are seeking clarification on what is holding up his application. Hope all goes well for you.

p.s. It's a well known fact that Albanians will never pick up a ringing phone unless it's their mobile! You can NEVER get through to an office number!
Hi Clarey.

I am an albanian girl who married a british guy 7 years ago. I was here on a visa then I met my husband and overstayed the visa we married, had a son applied to HO for Leave to remain they refused and gave me an IS151A and included there my UK passport holder son who was 2 years old. Had to go back to my Albania after 3 yrs in UK. Went to embassy in Tirana, applied for EC visa and was told i had to wait 3 months.. my husband was very angry at them. He said you cant' seperate families for this long. he had to go back to UK. I waited 2 months.. while there I found out I was pregnant and called my husband. He was so happy. I went to embassy again and asked them to hurry up with my case as I was pregnant. No emotions from them. I also was full time employed in a Managerial position in a Higher Education college in London( I still am). Anyway... I had to wait until the date they told me to go.. which was initiall date given. I got the visa, I had a miscarrage while in Albania (it was too hot that summer 2003) and returned to England with my son Liam. When came here...as my husband has dual nationality, the Irish embassy in London gave me Irish passport. Now i don't bother anymore with the English.. I also gave birth to a baby girl last summer . she is called Summer... and we are happy now... but still having problems with British Embassy in London when my parents go there to get visa... actually I am waiting for my mum to be given a visa.. I shared this story with you cos I have read all your writings and you are a real inspiration.Well done for all your determintaion in making things come true.

I wish you and your husband all the best in life.
regards
alba

clairey

Post by clairey » Thu May 24, 2007 3:53 pm

alba29 wrote:

It sounds like the embassy has got worse since we applied in 2004 for my husband's fiancé ¶isa.

Hi Clarey.

I am an albanian girl who married a british guy 7 years ago. I was here on a visa then I met my husband and overstayed the visa we married, had a son applied to HO for Leave to remain they refused and gave me an IS151A and included there my UK passport holder son who was 2 years old. Had to go back to my Albania after 3 yrs in UK. Went to embassy in Tirana, applied for EC visa and was told i had to wait 3 months.. my husband was very angry at them. He said you cant' seperate families for this long. he had to go back to UK. I waited 2 months.. while there I found out I was pregnant and called my husband. He was so happy. I went to embassy again and asked them to hurry up with my case as I was pregnant. No emotions from them. I also was full time employed in a Managerial position in a Higher Education college in London( I still am). Anyway... I had to wait until the date they told me to go.. which was initiall date given. I got the visa, I had a miscarrage while in Albania (it was too hot that summer 2003) and returned to England with my son Liam. When came here...as my husband has dual nationality, the Irish embassy in London gave me Irish passport. Now i don't bother anymore with the English.. I also gave birth to a baby girl last summer . she is called Summer... and we are happy now... but still having problems with British Embassy in London when my parents go there to get visa... actually I am waiting for my mum to be given a visa.. I shared this story with you cos I have read all your writings and you are a real inspiration.Well done for all your determintaion in making things come true.

regards
alba
Si jeni Alba, jeni mire? Shume faleminderit! Thank you so much, what you said is so sweet! I'm so sorry to hear about your story. It must have been such a difficult time for you. I'm glad you are back with your family and that you are happy now, and I hope your parents can get their visa to come and visit. I know the British Embassy in Tirana is now accepting applications online, which seems to have speeding things up - our friends that I've written about on here before (Albanian boy and a Dutch girl) have just found out today that he can collect his EEA Family Permit on Tuesday, and they only applied 2 weeks ago!

I know what you mean about the staff at the embassy though - there is one man there who is so rude and you can tell he enjoys the power he has over other people's lives.

I wish you, your husband and your children every happiness in life, and who knows, maybe one day we'll see each other in London or in beautiful Shqiperia!

Claire x

alba29

Post by alba29 » Fri May 25, 2007 4:00 pm

clairey wrote:
alba29 wrote:

Hi Clarey.

regards
alba
Si jeni Alba, jeni mire? Shume faleminderit! Thank you so much, what you said is so sweet! I'm so sorry to hear about your story. It must have been such a difficult time for you. I'm glad you are back with your family and that you are happy now, and I hope your parents can get their visa to come and visit. I know the British Embassy in Tirana is now accepting applications online, which seems to have speeding things up - our friends that I've written about on here before (Albanian boy and a Dutch girl) have just found out today that he can collect his EEA Family Permit on Tuesday, and they only applied 2 weeks ago!

I know what you mean about the staff at the embassy though - there is one man there who is so rude and you can tell he enjoys the power he has over other people's lives.

I wish you, your husband and your children every happiness in life, and who knows, maybe one day we'll see each other in London or in beautiful Shqiperia!

Claire x
Hi Claire
Thank you for your warm wishes and the same goes to you both from the bottom of my heart.
Very impressed with your Albanian. Well done. James my husband still can't speak two words... you know men they don't bother too much. :lol:
Anyway... yeah.. i know the man you are talkig about ... oh god... he was a real pain... but I don't think he is there any longer as my mum went to the embassy a week ago to hand her on line application (they will have to interview her now....!!!) and she said he wasn't there... but still the girls who are working there (and they are only cashiers/receptionist...)seem to be as ruthless as him... I think just working for B Consulate empowers them somewhow...to be ruthless.
I will let you know about my mum's interview... but I am up for a long road with lawyers this time as mum came here last year when I gave birth to Summer and she actually overstayed her visa.(oh a long story to tell you here)...

Yeah... who knows...may be one day we all meet somewhere... to celebrate the "albanian/english spouse society" and have a drink on our achievements.... ( I haven't heard many albanian girls marrying english guys though... what about you???)
Speak to you soon
Albaxxxx
ps...sorry I spelt your name wrong in my previous message to you.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri May 25, 2007 6:13 pm

alba29 wrote: When came here...as my husband has dual nationality, the Irish embassy in London gave me Irish passport. Now i don't bother anymore with the English.. I also gave birth to a baby girl last summer . she is called Summer... and we are happy now... but still having problems with British Embassy in London when my parents go there to get visa... actually I am waiting for my mum to be given a visa..
Your Irish passport will give you most rights in Britain but there are certain rights you do not have unless you choose to become naturalised British.

alba29

Post by alba29 » Fri May 25, 2007 10:22 pm

JAJ wrote:
alba29 wrote: When came here...as my husband has dual nationality, the Irish embassy in London gave me Irish passport. Now i don't bother anymore with the English.. I also gave birth to a baby girl last summer . she is called Summer... and we are happy now... but still having problems with British Embassy in London when my parents go there to get visa... actually I am waiting for my mum to be given a visa..
Your Irish passport will give you most rights in Britain but there are certain rights you do not have unless you choose to become naturalised British.
Hi JAJ
Why should I waste my money with that money making institution like HO.My irish passport gives me all the rights I need to live a normal life in UK just like my in laws who have been here for more than 30 years and never had a british passport but always had crucial job posts. Plus I wasn't charged over £500 to be registered as Irish citizen...Just what you would expect.... the admin fee of£84 to Irish Embassy in London.
I don't wish to be naturalised. My kids are naturalised, and they hold british and irish passport. I have just registered them as albanians as well...they can choose to use any nationality they wish when they grow up...
I am proud to be an Irish citizen :D Why what Rights am I missing out... ??? surprised as I don't see my husband who has a british passport having any more rights than me...Anyone got any Idea on this?????

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri May 25, 2007 10:56 pm

alba29 wrote: I am proud to be an Irish citizen :D Why what Rights am I missing out... ??? surprised as I don't see my husband who has a british passport having any more rights than me...Anyone got any Idea on this?????
I think it's cos most of us Brits, despite our generally crap country getting crapper by the day, are proud of our Nationality. My grandfather was Irish, I can get an Irish passport but I just can't do it. I'm not Irish. I don't feel it. I've said this before and got slated for it so here it comes!

I've also said that my partner, who is Russian, also won't take British Nationality cos she doesn't feel British and isn't prepared to dilute her russian nationality. Of course, it will be diluted, she's living here but you have to respect her for it.

So how Irish do you feel, an Albanian living in the UK?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sat May 26, 2007 5:05 am

alba29 wrote: Hi JAJ
Why should I waste my money with that money making institution like HO.My irish passport gives me all the rights I need to live a normal life in UK just like my in laws who have been here for more than 30 years and never had a british passport but always had crucial job posts. Plus I wasn't charged over £500 to be registered as Irish citizen...Just what you would expect.... the admin fee of£84 to Irish Embassy in London.
I don't wish to be naturalised. My kids are naturalised, and they hold british and irish passport. I have just registered them as albanians as well...they can choose to use any nationality they wish when they grow up...
I am proud to be an Irish citizen :D Why what Rights am I missing out... ??? surprised as I don't see my husband who has a british passport having any more rights than me...Anyone got any Idea on this?????

Bottom line is that if you choose to remain an Irish citizen in the UK, you are a welcome foreigner but nothing more than that.

As a non-British citizen, you cannot have a British passport, you are liable to deportation and you cannot obtain nationality-restricted Civil Service employment. You may have voting rights but these could be taken away anytime.

On top of that, you could be affected by future changes to the Immigration Rules, especially if relations with the Republic of Ireland should deteriorate in future. This has already happened between Australia and New Zealand, so don't assume it will never happen to you.

Same goes for all your in-laws.

alba29

Post by alba29 » Sat May 26, 2007 9:46 am

Wanderer wrote:
alba29 wrote: I am proud to be an Irish citizen :D Why what Rights am I missing out... ??? surprised as I don't see my husband who has a british passport having any more rights than me...Anyone got any Idea on this?????
I think it's cos most of us Brits, despite our generally crap country getting crapper by the day, are proud of our Nationality. My grandfather was Irish, I can get an Irish passport but I just can't do it. I'm not Irish. I don't feel it. I've said this before and got slated for it so here it comes!

I've also said that my partner, who is Russian, also won't take British Nationality cos she doesn't feel British and isn't prepared to dilute her russian nationality. Of course, it will be diluted, she's living here but you have to respect her for it.
I respect your partner for that... but I am sure she will get a british passport soon... don't all foreigners want british passports here... ???that's the entire point of foreigners living in this country.. of course unless she has another EC passport..
So how Irish do you feel, an Albanian living in the UK?
I feel a quite a lot Irish actually because as Albanian when it comes to traditions (family/life/friends how close we are with each other) I have found to have so much in commons with Irish coulture then with Brits... The Irish embassy in London is very courtous and polite and you can call them at any time... you don't get rude people on the phone...but very welcome....

alba29

Post by alba29 » Sat May 26, 2007 9:56 am

JAJ wrote:
alba29 wrote: Hi JAJ

Bottom line is that if you choose to remain an Irish citizen in the UK, you are a welcome foreigner but nothing more than that.

As a non-British citizen, you cannot have a British passport, you are liable to deportation and you cannot obtain nationality-restricted Civil Service employment. You may have voting rights but these could be taken away anytime.
How can I be deported when I am a EU citizen... on what grounds... what hypethetical points are you making because I am not getting you.
Who said I want to work in the Civil Service???what for... I have a very good Managerial position in Education...which is what I studied for... and never wish to work in the Civil Service...

On top of that, you could be affected by future changes to the Immigration Rules, especially if relations with the Republic of Ireland should deteriorate in future. This has already happened between
Australia and New Zealand, so don't assume it will never happen to you.

Dont' worry about future changes in immigration rules for my in laws or myself.. I guarantee you Ireland is one of the most developed countries of EU... the economy is boosting... so no harm if we are "ohhh my god...deported" to Ireland... anyway we are living this country soon... we have put an application to emigrate to Australia...so really, it doesn't bother me whether I hold a british passport or not...
Same goes for all your in-laws.
My in laws are not bothered really... they have had very good jobs.. here.. got nice house in Surrey...and one in West coast of Ireland..so they will gladly move to Ireland when they retire..:)

Cheers

clairey

Post by clairey » Mon May 28, 2007 5:12 pm

alba29 wrote:
clairey wrote:
alba29 wrote:

Hi Clarey.

regards
alba

Claire x
Hi Claire
Thank you for your warm wishes and the same goes to you both from the bottom of my heart.
Very impressed with your Albanian. Well done. James my husband still can't speak two words... you know men they don't bother too much. :lol:
Anyway... yeah.. i know the man you are talkig about ... oh god... he was a real pain... but I don't think he is there any longer as my mum went to the embassy a week ago to hand her on line application (they will have to interview her now....!!!) and she said he wasn't there... but still the girls who are working there (and they are only cashiers/receptionist...)seem to be as ruthless as him... I think just working for B Consulate empowers them somewhow...to be ruthless.
I will let you know about my mum's interview... but I am up for a long road with lawyers this time as mum came here last year when I gave birth to Summer and she actually overstayed her visa.(oh a long story to tell you here)...

Yeah... who knows...may be one day we all meet somewhere... to celebrate the "albanian/english spouse society" and have a drink on our achievements.... ( I haven't heard many albanian girls marrying english guys though... what about you???)
Speak to you soon
Albaxxxx
ps...sorry I spelt your name wrong in my previous message to you.
Hi Alba,

Hehe, well, my Albanian isn't that good - I can understand quite a lot, but I can't really speak a lot. I actually went to college last year to learn some, but the teacher was from Kosova and my husband is from Permeti, so there were too many different words and phrases!! Actually there was one boy at my class who was going out with an Albanian girl, but you're right, there aren't many! You're right, we should start an English/Irish/Albanian spouse's group! We can all share our stories about the embassy in Tirana!!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed for your Mum's visa - pac fat!

Claire xx