ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tuition fees for for Non-EEA family members of EU national

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

horizon1985

Tuition fees for for Non-EEA family members of EU national

Post by horizon1985 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:38 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am Non-EEA family member of an EU National. I received my RC last year November and planning to start studies September this year. My wife is self employed. I recently seen a Special provision on UK Council for International Student Affairs that if you are studying on Courses which started on or after September 2011 and you are a non-EEA family member of EU national and your spouse is Self sufficient or Student then you don't have to meet 3 years residence condition prior to your studies and neither your purpose of stay should be receiving full time education.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/student/info_s ... e.php#cat3

Please read Special Provision in category 3 of the above link.

Please can someone guide me that whether I am eligible to be consider as Home Student fee payer ? Because It clearly states on their website.
Your replies would be highly appreciated.

regards.

frei
BANNED

Post by frei » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:00 pm

I haven't gone through the link, but I do know someone with a Residence card as a family member of an EU citizen do qualify to pay the home fee. that is 100% certain

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:20 pm

Yes Horizon, you are correct regarding residency conditions but i'm not sure whether you will qualify for home student status as your wife is in self-employment and this is what it says in provision:

the 'relevant family member' [see Box 7] of a non-UK EU national, and that non-UK EU national is in the UK as a self sufficient person or as a student

So i guess you will probably have it check with UKCISA regarding your case.
Did u sell your soul for a mere stack?

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:26 pm

logical_1 wrote:Yes Horizon, you are correct regarding residency conditions but i'm not sure whether you will qualify for home student status as your wife is in self-employment and this is what it says in provision:

the 'relevant family member' [see Box 7] of a non-UK EU national, and that non-UK EU national is in the UK as a self sufficient person or as a student

So i guess you will probably have it check with UKCISA regarding your case.
Thank you for your reply. But Self employed wont be considered as self sufficient ? Because as long as you are not a burden on a government and fulfilling your needs with your own money is called as Self sufficient. I think they used Self sufficient term because it includes other form of self funding as well. Please correct me if I am wrong.

frei
BANNED

Post by frei » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:35 pm

Apply for your course, this things doesn't even get asked and if it does you can never be classified otherwise than as home student. Couple of my cousins on residence cards in the UK are going to UNI and paying the relevant home fee.

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:32 pm

Normally when you are self sufficient you have to have valid CSI,but not when your working or self-employed,so its better you check it with UKCISA or you can apply for your course as Frei has suggested.
I wonder if Residence card holders can apply for student loans and grants aswell without meeting the residence conditions or are those special provisions ony applicable in determining home fees status?
Would be nice if anyone could make this clear.

frei
BANNED

Post by frei » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:44 pm

They can get Student loan but can not get grants. They get monies towards the payment of their tuition fee but they usually do not get grants and thats includes the EU citizen not just the family member

logical_1

Post by logical_1 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 pm

Without residing for 3 years?

frei
BANNED

Post by frei » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Well I am not sure about the family member, as you should know EU citizens are already living in the EEA so the test is waived in the contest.

But if family member had been resident in the EU or the UK prior to obtaining rights as family member, they should qualify too. In the case of my cousin he was on student visa for over 3 years before his marriage to his wife who is an EU citizen, he was admitted as an home student.

Previous residency in the UK could well have played to his advantage
Last edited by frei on Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm

Thanks guys for your replies,
I agree with Frei that best thing is to apply for course. These things will sort out itself because most of us are unaware that we do not have to meet residence condition as a family member of EU national. UNis also take advantages of this unawareness because they don't want to loose International fees quota.
Logical_1 you are right about CSI. But I read that EU national needs CSI when he or she is in UK as a student. I rang UKCISA a month ago. They told me I do qualified for home student student fee payer. I told her that my wife is self employed. First she was using term of migrant worker. Then I clearly told her my wife is French national and working as self employed in UK. She took about 5 minutes and came back to me and said that Yes you qualify for home student fees and get only get student fees loan. not grants. She said as long as you satisfy the condition that your spouse is self sufficient you qualify. She didn't object my words of saying as self employed.
Let see how will it go. Finger cross.

horizon1985

Post by horizon1985 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Guys,
I am holding RC as a family member of an EU national. I have applied in University in a course starting in September 2013. Before I was in UK on student visa then went into Appeal and then marriage application. Finally granted RC last year. University consider me as a Home student fee payer under the Special provision of UKCISA website. Which stated as "You do not have to meet 3 years residence requirement if your course starting on or after September 2011 and your EU spouse is self sufficient in UK. I rang Student Finance England yesterday to ask for Student loan. But they told me that I am not eligible to have student loan because I don't have a permanent residence or Indefinite leave to remain in UK. Furthermore he said that there are different policies to be consider as home fees payer and to get Student loan. Anyone has any advice or experience ? Please kindly share with me. I will appreciate that.

regards.

Greenie
Respected Guru
United Kingdom

Post by Greenie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:37 am