ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport appl. counter-signatory: definition of a relative

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Riverpoet
Newly Registered

Passport appl. counter-signatory: definition of a relative

Post by Riverpoet » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:10 am

Hi,

I would like to enlist your help for the following:

I have been asked to counter-sign the passport application form for a baby girl who was born here in the UK 6 months ago. Both parents are EU citizens and had lived and worked in the UK for over 5 years at the time their baby was born. I am a British citizen and meet the relevant criteria for the counter-signature (i.e. professional qualification, known the parents for over 2 years etc.)

Q1: The baby's mum is my wife's sister. Can I still counter-sign the form or do I count as a relative? The form says that relatives should not do the ciunter-signature. The baby's dad (married to my sister-in-law) is signing the form.

Q2: I expect at least one parent (in this case the father signing the form for the baby) will have to provide sufficient evidence that they had lived and worked in the UK for over 5 years prior to the baby's birth (e.g. P60s, tax returns etc.) Is this correct? As they are EU citizens they did not have to apply for ILR and have no other proof of their settled status.

Many thanks for your guidance

BG
Oxford, UK[/b]
Last edited by Riverpoet on Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

petkanov

Post by petkanov » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:23 am

I don't know about Q1,

but for Q2 they should prove to the passport office that they are settled. They should read the IPS policy chapter on Treaty rights

Riverpoet
Newly Registered

Post by Riverpoet » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:33 pm

Q1: I checked with the IPS helpline and they confirmed that relation through marriage is also included therefore in the above case I can't countersign the passport application. Thought I'd just share in case this ever comes up for someone else.

boloney

Re: Passport appl. counter-signatory: definition of a relati

Post by boloney » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:18 pm

Riverpoet wrote:

Q2: I expect at least one parent (in this case the father signing the form for the baby) will have to provide sufficient evidence that they had lived and worked in the UK for over 5 years prior to the baby's birth (e.g. P60s, tax returns etc.) Is this correct? As they are EU citizens they did not have to apply for ILR and have no other proof of their settled status.

Many thanks for your guidance

BG
Oxford, UK[/b]
They should provide p60 or self-assesment forms for 5 years before child was born. If he was employed he should also send WRS, he can also send bank statements to show that he Lived in the UK.