ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting married then whats next ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

PewPew
Newly Registered

Getting married then whats next ?

Post by PewPew » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:54 pm

Hi

Im british and marrying my romanian partner on april 10th. We would like her to get unrestricted access to the labour market and be allowed to stay in england on a perminant basis.

What are our next steps i seem to find myself constantly lost on the home office website that just speeks jargon all the time.

I looked at the BR1 form that was suggested to me in the past in order to allow my partner to work. But it says that this form is for someone to use who is either self employed, student, or a self sufficent person. Does she fall into the catagory of a self sufficent person ?

Many thanks

PewPew
Newly Registered

Post by PewPew » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:19 am

please any help

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:55 am

PewPew, I think JAJ had done and excellent job in answering your question in your pervious posts. Getting the Spouse Visa under the UK immigration rules gives your wife unrestricted access to the labour market and more importantly ILR after just 2 years.

If you still do want to go down the EEA route, BR1 is the right form as you are a British Citizen. Your wife is considered self-sufficient if you do have a regular source of income. Mind you, your wife will have to wait another 3 years more for her ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain).. or PR(Permanent Residence)..which is essentially the same thing. That is a total of 5 years.
Jabi

PewPew
Newly Registered

Post by PewPew » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:29 pm

So is the spouce visa something we can get while in the uk ?? and by having the spouce visa that works towards a ILR ?

So im assuming the spouce visa uis the better option with my wife getting the benfits of the BR1 plus getting her ILR.

My worry is that the spouce visa might be hard to get and she may have to return to romania ? As long as shes not working or relying on public funds would i be right in thinking she can still live with me while we await the outcome.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:11 pm

Given the fees to be charged for visas now, I hardly think it is worth it going down the UK immigration route ..... unless PewPew you are a jackpot lottery winner and have not inconsiderable amounts of money to throw around!

If I were you I would use the form BR1, and your wife will be able to get PR after 5 years in the UK. OK that is 3 years later than would have been the case, but distinctly cheaper.
John

PewPew
Newly Registered

Post by PewPew » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:02 pm

When u say costs. How expensive are we talking ?

on the other hand we are quite happy to wait five years as long as she is allowed to work and we can build a normal future

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:04 pm

The Spouse Visa is something that is issued to spouses of British Citizens and it does work towards ILR and that too in 2 years time. I dont think it will be too tough to get one from Bucharest as Romania has now joined EU. However along with the airline fares to Romania and an application fees of 500 pounds (in lei) to the BHC there, there will be an additional 750 pounds(or 950 if you are applying in person at the HO) to pay for her ILR after 2 years. Judging by the approximate total figures, winning a lottery is highly recommended but is still not a necessity.

So, while I would prefer the faster ILR and British Citizenship, it finally boils down to how long you want to wait for your wife's ILR and how much you are willing to spend for it.... dar asta este un decision care tu si sotii tai trebui sa fac, nu noi!

Mind you, unlike the BR1 your wife will not have recourse to public funds while she is on her Spouse Visa.

(Wasnt I really fast with that reply?)
Jabi

PewPew
Newly Registered

Post by PewPew » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:20 pm

lol I really think for us in our situation as a young couple surviving on one wage the BR1 form is a better option for us. We are more than happy to wait 5 years before Perminant residence. As long as we are allowed to work etc.

So if we apply for the BR1 after the marriage , is that all we need to do , then once it has been 5 years we apply for the PR ?

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:24 pm

Hope you are not laughing at some grammar mistake in my Romanian. After 5 years as a spouse of a worker, your wife will automatically be granted PR.
Jabi

PewPew
Newly Registered

Post by PewPew » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:53 pm

So if i apply for this BR-1 for a permit are they hard to get ??

Also how does she get a national insurance number and would she qualify for being able to see the doctor and gettign perscriptions

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:37 pm

You are getting married on 10th April. After that get the form BR1 in. After that application is dealt with, your wife (as she will be) should go to the nearest Job Centre + and apply for a NINO, and to your doctor's surgery and register under the NHS.
John

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:29 pm

PewPew wrote:lol I really think for us in our situation as a young couple surviving on one wage the BR1 form is a better option for us. We are more than happy to wait 5 years before Perminant residence. As long as we are allowed to work etc.
If you do not obtain a spouse visa for your wife, you should not assume that she will be allowed to work.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:58 pm

JAJ, it is clear that the spouse of a British Citizen who happens to be Romanian or Bulgarian, will be allowed to work after the form BR1 is processed.
John

PewPew
Newly Registered

Post by PewPew » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:20 pm

JAJ wrote:
PewPew wrote:lol I really think for us in our situation as a young couple surviving on one wage the BR1 form is a better option for us. We are more than happy to wait 5 years before Perminant residence. As long as we are allowed to work etc.
If you do not obtain a spouse visa for your wife, you should not assume that she will be allowed to work.
if this is the case then what is the point of the br1 form

Docterror
United Kingdom

Post by Docterror » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:34 pm

Dont worry Domnule! She will be allowed to work once the BR1 is processed.
Jabi