ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Joined application - does "housewife time" count

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Lukas77
Newly Registered

Joined application - does "housewife time" count

Post by Lukas77 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:40 pm

I asked this in another stream (incorrectly I presume) and didn't really get a straight answer.
Me and my wife (both Polish) came to the UK 6.5 years ago.
I've worked since then (starting with WRS). So after 5 years + now 18 months I qualify for naturalization.
Now. My wife only started working 5.5 years ago (first year in UK she stayed at home, looked after our kid).
We were married before coming to UK.
I'm just not sure if her 1st year when she wasn't working still counts even if she was my dependant.

So the question is: can we apply already (assuming that my status will suffice) or do we have to wait until it's been 6 years since she's started working?
And if we can already - should we include P60s, P45s and what not for both of us or is it enough to only submit mine as the breadwinner?
(we've passed the tests and have all the papers ready just need to confirm so we don't send too early).

I was suggested before to apply for PR first, then wait a year and apply for natur. but I don't see any point in doing it that way. Same checks need to be done plus I don't need to give up my passport if I go via checking service (I need to travel for business every so often so can't afford to send away my passport for weeks if I can help it).

Thanks in advance for all the advice

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:24 pm

Only one EEA national in a family needs to exercise treaty rights. Your wife can qualify for PR as your family member. She will not need to provide evidence of employment.

The issue with applying for PR is to reduce risk (as application is free). If you did register with WRS on time and had a continuous employment for 5 years without any major gaps, I agree the risk is very low.

boloney

Post by boloney » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:04 pm

Jambo wrote:Only one EEA national in a family needs to exercise treaty rights. Your wife can qualify for PR as your family member. She will not need to provide evidence of employment.

The issue with applying for PR is to reduce risk (as application is free). If you did register with WRS on time and had a continuous employment for 5 years without any major gaps, I agree the risk is very low.
And if he completed 12 months under WRS. I would go for it. Just explain on you wife application that she qualify as your dependant.

Lukas77
Newly Registered

Post by Lukas77 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:16 am

Jambo wrote:If you did register with WRS on time and had a continuous employment for 5 years without any major gaps, I agree the risk is very low.
Thank you Jambo for your reply.
Yes, I have registered with WRS first thing, stayed in my first job for 4 years and haven't had any gaps at all when moving to second job or third (current).

In fact my wife did the same only a year later. So she has now exercised the treaty for 5 years independently. It is only the fact that it's not 12 months since her 5 years passed yet that raises my doubts. However if her staying at home while i was working under WRS counts towards the time then that adds the "missing" year.

But if you say it's enough for one of us to exercise the treaty rights then we should be safe.
Thanks again