ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport with ILR expired 3 yrs ago. Applying for BC

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

goingroundincircles
Newly Registered

Passport with ILR expired 3 yrs ago. Applying for BC

Post by goingroundincircles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Hello all

ILR in 2004 as a spouse of BC. My national passport expired in 2010 - I didn't get round to renewing it. Recently with a view to applying for BC I have made an appointment with NCS.

The lady said I need to have a passport showing where I have gone in the last three years. She asked me to bring wage slips/letter from NICO /P60s to cover the period from when my passport expired till now (i.e from 2010 to 2013). She also said that there is very little chance of my application succeeding if I don't include these documents.
It's not a problem for me producing these..just wondered if this is NCS staff or is it the UKBA.

Do other members applying for BC with expired passports have had similar experiences with UKBA/NCS?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Last edited by goingroundincircles on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:55 pm

What's the issue? Follow NCS advice and you will be fine.

You don't need to have a valid passport to apply but you need to provide proof that you lived in the UK during the time the passport expired (otherwise you can claim you didn't have a passport but actually had one and spent the last two years abroad).

goingroundincircles
Newly Registered

Post by goingroundincircles » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:04 pm

Jambo wrote:What's the issue? Follow NCS advice and you will be fine.

You don't need to have a valid passport to apply but you need to provide proof that you lived in the UK during the time the passport expired (otherwise you can claim you didn't have a passport but actually had one and spent the last two years abroad).
That was very quick. Thank you.

I've got the payslips and P60s. I am not sure if I need to get a letter from NICO saying that my NI affairs are in order? They take about 2-3 weeks to issue one.

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:09 pm

P60s is enough. You don't need a letter confirming your tax is in order. The HO can check that themselves.

As for your original question - if you check the last page of the application form you will see that the HO requires evidence for your presence in the form of a passport or other evidence (such as P60s). The NCS advice was according to the HO guidance.

niteshj

Post by niteshj » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:09 am

could you not do that with an unexpired passport as well? ie. say you tell Indian embassy you have lost your passport when you haven't. then travel on the replacement but submit the original for BC. hence, surely HO can't use this for a distinguishing criteria

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:25 am

niteshj wrote:

could you not do that with an unexpired passport as well? ie. say you tell Indian embassy you have lost your passport when you haven't. then travel on the replacement but submit the original for BC. hence, surely HO can't use this for a distinguishing criteria
Yes you can. For that reason the HO is asking for evidence of your residence. Either a passport or other proof. It is not mandatory to submit your passport as proof of residence.

The HO would be able to track your travel even if you use a non declared passport.

Astrid24
- thin ice -

Re: Passport with ILR expired 3 yrs ago. Applying for BC

Post by Astrid24 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:20 am

goingroundincircles wrote:Hello all

ILR in 2004 as a spouse of BC. My national passport expired in 2010 - I didn't get round to renewing it. Recently with a view to applying for BC I have made an appointment with NCS.

The lady said I need to have a passport showing where I have gone in the last three years. She asked me to bring wage slips/letter from NICO /P60s to cover the period from when my passport expired till now (i.e from 2010 to 2013). She also said that there is very little chance of my application succeeding if I don't include these documents.
It's not a problem for me producing these..just wondered if this is NCS staff or is it the UKBA.

Do other members applying for BC with expired passports have had similar experiences with UKBA/NCS?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
Yes, this happened to me. My passport expired over a year ago. UKBA sent me a letter asking for a passport showing where I have been over the past year, since my passport expired, and if I didn't have another passport (which I didn't) I needed to send in proof of being in the UK, such as p60's and pay slips. On the letter it did say if I failed to provide those documents my application would be refused. I didn't send my application through NCS so I didn't know I had to include those documents. I wish I had included them in the first place so my application wouldn't have been delayed!

kshehari
Newly Registered

how to prove residency if not employed?

Post by kshehari » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:47 pm

Thank you all for the input. I have the same problem, and there will be a gap of nearly 5 months between the expiry date of my passport and the date of application for BC. I can provide them with payslips, but what about my wife and my 19-year-old daughter who are not working. Are there any other documents to provide for them. They both go to college, and the get letters that they attend classes, but what about the 2-month summer holiday when they stay at home? Any advise?

kshehari
Newly Registered

how to prove residency if not employed?

Post by kshehari » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:48 pm

Thank you all for the input. I have the same problem, and there will be a gap of nearly 5 months between the expiry date of my passport and the date of application for BC. I can provide them with payslips, but what about my wife and my 19-year-old daughter who are not working. Are there any other documents to provide for them. They both go to college, and the get letters that they attend classes, but what about the 2-month summer holiday when they stay at home? Any advise?