ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

***Urgent Question *** Application for British Citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mehdi32
Newly Registered

***Urgent Question *** Application for British Citizenship

Post by mehdi32 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:06 am

Dear All,

I have an appointment with Ealing NCS today at 3pm and I have all documents ready. I have been married to a UK national for more than 2 years and have been living in UK since 2003. I have received ILR ten days ago and I am now eligible to apply for UK Citizenship.
The only problem is I just realised my passport expired on 2nd of Februry 2013. So the question is can I apply now or should renew my current passport before applying for British Citizenship.

Thanks and regards,

Mehdi
[/b]

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:17 am

having a valid passport is not a requirement for naturalisation but you need to confirm that you were in the UK and didn't travel abroad.
also see similar discussion

mehdi32
Newly Registered

Post by mehdi32 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:01 pm

ban.s wrote:having a valid passport is not a requirement for naturalisation but you need to confirm that you were in the UK and didn't travel abroad.
also see similar discussion
Ok thanks for this. I received my passport 10 days ago and my passport was expired when it was in Home Office for the ILR application.

So I don't know how I can prove I was in UK from 2nd of Feb (when the passport is expired) and today which is 28th of Feb. I guess they can see there is no entery stamp in passport which confirms I didn't go anywhere in the last 3 weeks?!

Jambo
Respected Guru

Post by Jambo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:57 pm

If the passport only expired 26 days ago, I would not be worried if your days of absence are well within the threshold.

mehdi32
Newly Registered

Post by mehdi32 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:12 pm

Jambo wrote:If the passport only expired 26 days ago, I would not be worried if your days of absence are well within the threshold.
Just to let others know, Jambo was right. I went to the NCS office yesterday and the chap wasn't sure if I can apply when my passport is expired few weeks ago and if I need any additional documents or not. So he called the Home Office and they confirmed it is not a problem and no additional document is needed.

Thanks for your help Jamno.