ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish Foreign Birth Register

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:31 am

Unfortunately, no. The FBR certificate, in theory, certifies that you are an Irish citizen by descent. However - the UK authorities will not recognise it, as it is just a a piece of paper to them.

To get a NI number, bank account, job, etc, you will need to apply for an Irish passport, as the UK authorities will recognise an Irish passport as an internationally recognised government-issued identity document. The FBR doesn't have your photo or signature on it, so for practical purposes it will not do.
My FBR backed up with my American Passport has proven to be enough. I already have a bank account and N.I. number within the next 28 days. Going to London on Wednesday to get Passport.

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:33 am

If a FBR is a citizenship certificate, then that is even better.

You are Correct!!!!!

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:36 am

No, it is not. It is a citizenship certificate, not a birth certificate.

However, as I said, for practical purposes, an FBR cert only proves the date that someone was registered as an Irish citizen. It doesn't have a photo or signature, so it is possible that this FBR certificate may have been borrowed/stolen etc from someone else. I'm sure this is not the case with bobsowc, but from a potential employer's point of view, they have to keep this in mind.

An Irish passport not only confirms that someone is an Irish citizen with a legal right to work in the UK, but also confirms their identity.

As with any Birth Certificate there are no signatures or pictures. Backed up with other types of ID it will work!!!!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 am

I would urge you to also get an Irish passport when you have a chance.

bobsowc
Newly Registered

Post by bobsowc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 am

I would urge you to also get an Irish passport when you have a chance.
Thank You, I'm going London on Wednesday to file for my passport.

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:11 am

You should be able to apply for a passport by post. Contact the embassy for the required forms.