ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Parents visiting from india with 6 months visa GP free ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

z18runway

Parents visiting from india with 6 months visa GP free ?

Post by z18runway » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:11 am

Hi,
Parents will be visiting UK in summer, and my GP says they are seen free of charge if they have health insurance covered from india and may be charged for prescription ? Is that true. ?

When i asked my GP to name any Indian insurance provider for cover, she said she has no idea about it, as she came to know while dealing with patients like that, and as i accidentally asked her she revealed it for a good cause.

Does any one know about which health insurance to cover NHS, Prescription free ?

brummie

Post by brummie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Emergency A&E treatment is free for visitors in all hospitals.
Prescription will not be free as your parents do not pay tax in this country nor do they have a nat ins number.
Check' BUPA' insurance. I am not sure if they have any branches in India.

My personal experience.-
My mum- n- law had high blood pressure while she was here in the UK. The walk in center checked her blood pressure and it was free,but I had to pay for the prescription at the pharmacy to buy the blood pressure tablets. It was only £7 something.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:02 pm

thanks

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:08 pm

Another option is to check with insurance providers from India - though I haven't looked into it.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:45 pm

wpilr_nov12 wrote:Another option is to check with insurance providers from India - though I haven't looked into it.
do the insurance providers really know about free gp service in UK ? i mean all these concepts, just to sell the cover they may nod the head and ask us to read the terms and conditions and after landing here, trouble might start...

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:04 pm

What free GP service in UK? GP won't see you if you are not registered at the surgery. You can't get registered on 6 month or shorter visa.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 pm

wpilr_nov12 wrote:What free GP service in UK? GP won't see you if you are not registered at the surgery. You can't get registered on 6 month or shorter visa.
good and common question, and moreover i know the system of how GP works but why doctor said like that, may be if i inqure at GP reception next week i might get clue

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:21 pm

NHS service is 'Free' in the sense that you won't be judged on your ability to pay, as long as you are entitled to the service.

If you have health cover, the insurer needs to agree to reimburse you or pay NHS directly before you use NHS beyond A&E.

ban.s

Post by ban.s » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:53 pm

overseas visitors can register with GPs as temporary patient however it's up to the GP centre to decide whether to accept new patients or not.

also see accessing health service in the UK - for overseas visitors

Vinnie21

Re: Parents visiting from india with 6 months visa GP free ?

Post by Vinnie21 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:45 am

z18runway wrote:Hi,
Parents will be visiting UK in summer, and my GP says they are seen free of charge if they have health insurance covered from india and may be charged for prescription ? Is that true. ?

When i asked my GP to name any Indian insurance provider for cover, she said she has no idea about it, as she came to know while dealing with patients like that, and as i accidentally asked her she revealed it for a good cause.

Does any one know about which health insurance to cover NHS, Prescription free ?
The current law is clear U are not allowed to use any NHS or GP in uk cuz u are only a visitor however if its an emergency they will take you on but be aware that might send you the bill for your parents and if u are not unable to pay that bill your parents Won't be visiting you again and Insurance when they are apply for visa they need to ask the British embassy for that cuz the insurance abroad I don't think they can cover NHS or gps ....all the best

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:08 pm

ilrapplicant2013

Post by ilrapplicant2013 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:13 pm

Hello,

My 2 cents. Nothing that hasnt been covered but I had my parents here couple of years back and writing this based on my experience.

1. I was advised it was free as in the basic checks etc.

I had to register them, so I advise on the first day they are here, take thier passports and you could register them at the surgery.

2. I was advised A&E free for all visitors.

3. You have to pay for prescription, I pay for myself too. So dont think it is a biggie

4. Most of the big Indian insurance cover this, they would not cover NHS services specifically but will cover medical treatments etc. So you can claim the prescription and additional costs that way.

Hope this helps.

z18runway

Post by z18runway » Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:51 pm

great and thanks to
ilrapplicant2013,
wpilr_nov12,
Vinnie21,
ban.s,
brummie.

I think these info you guys provided will surely help me. I i will surely update.