ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Hyphen between First and last name on approvel letter

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

tehmina

Hyphen between First and last name on approvel letter

Post by tehmina » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:22 pm

HI every one!

Today I received my naturalisation approval letter and invitation to the citizenship ceremony. One small problem: my name Spell are fine on the letter, Only issue is there is hyphen symbol between my first name and middle name
"Firstname-MiddleName LastName"

According to the letter, if my details are wrong I should still attend the ceremony and then send the naturalisation certificate to the Home Office together with a copy of my passport or birth certificate. my question is

1) Could it be that the hyphen is mandatory in this country for First name and second name if consisting of more than one word? or do i need to send it back to rectify

LondonApplicant
France

Re: Hyphen between First and last name on approvel letter

Post by LondonApplicant » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:17 pm

tehmina wrote: 1) Could it be that the hyphen is mandatory in this country for First name and second name if consisting of more than one word? or do i need to send it back to rectify
No, it is not mandatory – absolutely not.

Unfortunately many people in this country tend to get confused when dealing with names and surnames that don’t conform to the Anglo-Saxon style. This is the case for surnames with two words, which can be quite common in Italy, France or Spanish-speaking countries (e.g. De La Renta, De La Rosa, Dalle Rovere); similarly, in many (if not all) Spanish speaking countries two surnames are used: the first surname of the father and the first surname of the mother. I don’t even want to imagine the confusion that can arise when your name is in a different alphabet (Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Arabs, etc) or contains apostrophes, accents or other characters not commonly used in English.

My advice is to strongly insist that your name be recorded correctly, and make sure that even the slightest error is communicated and rectified asap. I know people who didn’t bother correcting what they thought were small errors (like the first part of the surname being recorded as middle name, or only one of the two surnames being recorded), and eventually came to regret it because this messed up their credit records (Juan De La Renta and Juan Renta would not be recognised as the same individual) and created problems when they had to prove their identity (because the passport and the bank records didn’t match 100%).

tehmina

Re: Hyphen between First and Middle name on approvel letter

Post by tehmina » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:42 pm

LondonApplicant wrote:
tehmina wrote: 1) Could it be that the hyphen is mandatory in this country for First name and second name if consisting of more than one word? or do i need to send it back to rectify

Unfortunately many people in this country tend to get confused when dealing with names and surnames that don’t conform to the Anglo-Saxon style. This is the case for surnames with two words, which can be quite common in Italy, France or Spanish-speaking countries (e.g. De La Renta, De La Rosa, Dalle Rovere); similarly, in many (if not all) Spanish speaking countries two surnames are used: the first surname of the father and the first surname of the mother. I don’t even want to imagine the confusion that can arise when your name is in a different alphabet (Russians, Chinese, Japanese, Arabs, etc) or contains apostrophes, accents or other characters not commonly used in English.

My advice is to strongly insist that your name be recorded correctly, and make sure that even the slightest error is communicated and rectified asap. I know people who didn’t bother correcting what they thought were small errors (like the first part of the surname being recorded as middle name, or only one of the two surnames being recorded), and eventually came to regret it because this messed up their credit records (Juan De La Renta and Juan Renta would not be recognised as the same individual) and created problems when they had to prove their identity (because the passport and the bank records didn’t match 100%).

Thanks for your reply.
do i need to wait for correction of certificate in order to apply for passport or as there is no spell mistake and there is no problem with first or last name order,i can proceed for passport as i will send current passport where my full name will be with out hyphen symbol
just to clarify there is hyphen between first name and middle name not between first and last.

LondonApplicant
France

Post by LondonApplicant » Tue Feb 12, 2013 4:14 pm

tehmina wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
do i need to wait for correction of certificate in order to apply for passport or as there is no spell mistake and there is no problem with first or last name order,i can proceed for passport as i will send current passport where my full name will be with out hyphen symbol
just to clarify there is hyphen between first name and middle name not between first and last.
This I don't know - sorry.

tehmina

Post by tehmina » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:46 am

LondonApplicant wrote:
tehmina wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
Any one else who experience similar issue-please respond

ravikd

Post by ravikd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Use the following link which is a directive of home office, you will find your situation here:-

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/publicatio ... iew=Binary
tehmina wrote:
LondonApplicant wrote:
tehmina wrote:
Thanks for your reply.
Any one else who experience similar issue-please respond

Alish60

Post by Alish60 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 am

tehmina wrote:
LondonApplicant wrote:

Thanks for your reply.
My wife had the same spelling problem in her certificate, but unlike yours, her surname was written quite different. she attended the ceremony and then sent the certificate plus her driving licence to UKBA, after 2 weeks she received a new corrected certificate from them. then she applied for passport. when you apply for passport, they put your name down exactly as it shown on your certificate, we were told by IPS(Identity and Passport Service).
so my advice for you would be, wait until the ceremony, when you've got your certificate in hand, hopefully there is no mistake & you can apply for your passport, if not then send your certificate plus your UK driving licence OR your foreign passport(either valid or expired) OR your Birth certificate to UKBA office in Liverpool. you will receive a new certificate no longer than 1 month. this is what we were told by UKBA at that time, I personally think you will get it a lot earlier now cos at the moment the whole Naturalization application takes 1 month so yours will be a week or two maximum. hope you find this helpful. Good Luck

tehmina

Post by tehmina » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:32 am

i send certificate back to UKBA with copy of current passport on 19th feb

yet no response,let see how much time they will take to remove hyphen:)

aledeniz
United Kingdom

Post by aledeniz » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:18 pm

LondonApplicant wrote:No, it is not mandatory – absolutely not.
Yup, just to confirm, my wife has a first name made of 2 words separated by a space, and a last name made of 2 words separated by a space, following this schema:

FFF FFF LLL LLL

And the UKBA got it right, no dashes.

tehmina

Post by tehmina » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:49 pm

is their any contact number or email address where i can check progress of my certificate as its now more then 2 weeks and didnt get my certificate back after correction.