ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier 1 General Visa- Visiting Spain

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

cipher
Newly Registered

Tier 1 General Visa- Visiting Spain

Post by cipher » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:44 am

Hello folks,

I was wondering if one of the enlightened members could shed some light on my travel issues.

I am currently holding a Tier 1 General Visa valid till JUL 2015 (when I will/might be up for an ILR - unless they decide to change the rules yet again! ). and I hold an Indian passport I am now happily married to an American citizen and we intend to visit Madrid and Barcelona over the summer. I was under the impression that I definitely needed a Tourist or Schengen Visa. But having gone through their consulate website ( I live in Liverpool so I kinda fall under the jurisdiction of the Spanish Consulate in Edinburgh ), point 5 on their "Do I need a visa" document states

If you hold a valid residence permit in any of the Schengen member states, you are entitled to re-enter the Schengen area without a visa on production of your proof of residence and your passport." .

This is where I got a bit confused. Does my Tier 1 Resident Permit card entitle me to enter Spain without a visa? Or do i still need to apply for a visa?

I tried calling the consulate but surprise surprise! No one was home (Or may be they were on their Siesta! :P ). So I was wondering if someone knows what the answer to this is, before I spend 30 minutes over the phone on Monday, in a queue, with the consulate to find out the official answer.

Regards

Alex[/b]

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:48 am

Hi Cipher, you will need a visa. The UK is not part of Schengen so you don't hold a residence permit that will be acceptable to them. That said, a visa should be reasonably straight-forward.