ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

change of name after naturalization

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

moataz adam

change of name after naturalization

Post by moataz adam » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:56 pm

after getting my I rish passport i tried to change my name by deel poll, the clerik at the four courts refused my application on basis of that i have just got my Irish passport and ask me to come back after 2 years and to get conformation from the passport office that they are ok to issue me a new passport. is that normal? can i do the deed poll in UK? and will it be acceptable here in Ireland?
thanks

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:42 pm

Its a bit dodgy that you want to chance your name after you got a new passport? Thats why they want it to last for 2 years before issuing you with a new one.

What will happen if you dont change your name for 2 years?
Last edited by IntegratedMigrant on Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I oppose stereotype, prejudice, xenophobe, judgmental, Ignorance, and beloved.

moataz adam

Post by moataz adam » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:06 pm

i have my reason to change my name,one of them is travelling safely to visit my other country, nothing will happen if i wait for two years other than delaying that trip

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 pm

moataz adam wrote:i have my reason to change my name,one of them is travelling safely to visit my other country, nothing will happen if i wait for two years other than delaying that trip
Ok, I get it but still dont understand though. The name you want to change is in your passport, how will that affect your travel?

moataz adam

Post by moataz adam » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:53 pm

ok, let me put it this way. I came here 10 years ago from a war tored country, my current first name is associated with the area where its people are prosecuted and always suspected,i dont want to go through the same terrible experince again even though i Have Irish passport,the first impression is I am a spy or have some sort of conspiracy.it wasnt easy to change my name before,now i have the right, what the point of becoming an irish citizen if i cant enjoy the freedom of choosing my own name.freedom which is the first reason to come to this country in the first place

IntegratedMigrant
Diamond Member

Post by IntegratedMigrant » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:25 am

moataz adam wrote:ok, let me put it this way. I came here 10 years ago from a war tored country, my current first name is associated with the area where its people are prosecuted and always suspected,i dont want to go through the same terrible experince again even though i Have Irish passport,the first impression is I am a spy or have some sort of conspiracy.it wasnt easy to change my name before,now i have the right, what the point of becoming an irish citizen if i cant enjoy the freedom of choosing my own name.freedom which is the first reason to come to this country in the first place
Have you asked yourself why Ireland gave you citizenship despite being an honour and a privilege? If they were ever gonna suspect you of anything they will never have given you citizenship.

Changing your name wont change a thing so I think.

(Mod edit)

moataz adam

Post by moataz adam » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:49 am

my friend, I am not talking about Ireland, I have been living here for 10 years peacefully, I am talking about when I go to my home land,since u never being there u wouldnt have any idea about what is going there, any way thank u very much for ur time

EUsmileWEallsmile

Re: change of name after naturalization

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:29 pm

moataz adam wrote:after getting my I rish passport i tried to change my name by deel poll, the clerik at the four courts refused my application on basis of that i have just got my Irish passport and ask me to come back after 2 years and to get conformation from the passport office that they are ok to issue me a new passport. is that normal? can i do the deed poll in UK? and will it be acceptable here in Ireland?
thanks
Did you explain to the clerk the reason for change of name? You would have a legitimate reason in my opinion for change of name, given the circumstances you described later in the thread.

moataz adam

Post by moataz adam » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:40 pm

to be honest with u he didnt give the chance to explain,he wasnt helpful, and gave me just few minutes of his time, a friend of mine with similar case changed his full name few months ago without any problem,
i think i should stop this process and ask my family to meet me in a third country, its costly but safer.
thank you

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:22 am

moataz adam wrote:to be honest with u he didnt give the chance to explain,he wasnt helpful, and gave me just few minutes of his time, a friend of mine with similar case changed his full name few months ago without any problem,
i think i should stop this process and ask my family to meet me in a third country, its costly but safer.
thank you
You could do that and it might be the safest thing for you to do. You could also point out your problem to the clerk or ask for someone else to look into matters for you. You have a genuine reason for name change.

moataz adam

Post by moataz adam » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 am

i will try to find a lawyer, thank you very much eu smile.appreciate ur respond

Brigid from Ireland
Member of Standing

Post by Brigid from Ireland » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:41 pm

It is simple.

If you have applied to change your name by deed poll and been refused, you can appeal.

From what you say, I think the clerk was reluctant to take your application and you left without applying. The clerk can't do that - you have a right to apply and then if refused you can appeal.

I know of no law that prevents you changing your name by deed poll just because you recently became a citizen - it is highly unlikely that there is such a law.

You can change your name by deed poll once a month if it suits you - and I should know, cos I worked in an office where one of our clients changed his name by deed poll very often (and always to something difficult to spell and say).
BL

EUsmileWEallsmile

Post by EUsmileWEallsmile » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:57 pm

Brigid from Ireland wrote:It is simple.

If you have applied to change your name by deed poll and been refused, you can appeal.

From what you say, I think the clerk was reluctant to take your application and you left without applying. The clerk can't do that - you have a right to apply and then if refused you can appeal.

I know of no law that prevents you changing your name by deed poll just because you recently became a citizen - it is highly unlikely that there is such a law.

You can change your name by deed poll once a month if it suits you - and I should know, cos I worked in an office where one of our clients changed his name by deed poll very often (and always to something difficult to spell and say).
This is very interesting. In the OPs case, even if there were rules forbidding frequent name changes, they have a strong safety / security argument for their action.

moataz adam

Post by moataz adam » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:04 pm

thank brigit, that exactly what drived me to think of changing my name, it is my right, and i have read that i can even change my full name, but the reality is different. i met a lawyer, he said he will charge me 230 + VAT. too much for me(and he still ask me for a very strong reason for that change). in the Uk u can do the deel poll your self, standard form,fill it ,get two witness to sign and that is it. just find it complicated here in Ireland.
any way thanks for input